Deleting individual movies in Library - bizarre server/client behavior

iam4uk

iam4uk

MB Server version 3.0.5238.39498

MB Classic version 3.0.163.0

Windows 7 x64 sp1 Media Center

When I delete movies (their folder, containing the .mkv and all metadata/images) from a directory that is part of my MB Library, MB does not respond in a predictable or consistent or logical manner.

Sometimes, the Server and Client both reflect the change; that is, the deleted movie no longer appears.  This is obviously the expected outcome.

Sometimes, the deleted movie metadata is re-generated in a new folder bearing the name of the deleted one.  In these cases, the movie appears as if it is still in the library, but of course would not play, given that no actual video file is present for it.

This happens even if I enable the administrator user of the Server (myself) to delete items from within MB Server Library Edit, and go through that process of deletion.  It also happens if I simply delete the folder via Windows Explorer.

My workaround has been:

-- shutdown MB Server

-- delete the folder in Windows Explorer

-- restart MB Server and re-scan Library

-- if the deleted movie reappears, then delete the entire media folder link within MB Server, and re-establish it afresh.

Such measures should never be necessary.  Any ideas on why MB regenerates deleted items?

No but I've seen this happen in the past (although not in several weeks) and a few others have reported it.  But it is not consistent and, to my knowledge, no one has been able to nail down the exact steps or conditions that cause it to happen so we haven't been able to fix it.

Maybe the fact I haven't seen this in several weeks means Luke nabbed it in this development round.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I just had a similar issue that I deleted movies from the source, re-scanned the library via MBS but the metadata was still retained in the Library.  Of course the video could not be played since the actual file was deleted.

I was able to fix this by deleting out the Auto-Box Set (via the Plug-in) collection under the Collections folder.  Once the Collection of the movies I deleted were removed, the library was correctly updated.