Random refreshes when scrolling through genres

maverickphillips

cnwinger

@Luke Logs attached.  I went through several Genres and had this issue about 9 out of 10 tries.  I get kicked back to the top when:

1) Holding the arrow down button down

2) pressing the arrow down button quickly

3) pressing the arrow down button slowly

The single time it did not happen was in a Genre with <50 titles, but the issue did happen with that Genre the first couple times I tried as well.  Seems to happen every time in Genres with lots of titles.

This, in combination with the missing A-Z scroll feature that has been 'in progress' for 4 years, makes it very very difficult to navigate a large Movie collection on AppleTv.

embyserver.txt

2 hours ago, cnwinger said:

@Luke Logs attached.  I went through several Genres and had this issue about 9 out of 10 tries.  I get kicked back to the top when:

1) Holding the arrow down button down

2) pressing the arrow down button quickly

3) pressing the arrow down button slowly

The single time it did not happen was in a Genre with <50 titles, but the issue did happen with that Genre the first couple times I tried as well.  Seems to happen every time in Genres with lots of titles.

This, in combination with the missing A-Z scroll feature that has been 'in progress' for 4 years, makes it very very difficult to navigate a large Movie collection on AppleTv.

embyserver.txt 196.84 kB · 0 downloads

OK that's helpful. Thanks.

• 3 months later...
Funkshoi

hello @Luke I’ve been having this exact same issue for years on two different apple tv devices. An older 4th gen and a newer 4K model. 

Log attached where you’ll see I’m streaming a movie -> closing out of stream -> navigating to the genres where I scroll through multiple times and it refreshes -> stream another movie -> end of log

If it helps you troubleshoot, I’ve noticed that if I very, VERY slowly scroll through any genre list, I can get to the bottom. Almost like if it doesn’t cache the list, it seems to reset and jump me back to the top of the list if I scroll too quickly.

Let me know if there is any other info I can provide. Love the app and development otherwise.

embyserver.txt

On 3/6/2023 at 10:13 PM, Funkshoi said:

hello @Luke I’ve been having this exact same issue for years on two different apple tv devices. An older 4th gen and a newer 4K model. 

Log attached where you’ll see I’m streaming a movie -> closing out of stream -> navigating to the genres where I scroll through multiple times and it refreshes -> stream another movie -> end of log

If it helps you troubleshoot, I’ve noticed that if I very, VERY slowly scroll through any genre list, I can get to the bottom. Almost like if it doesn’t cache the list, it seems to reset and jump me back to the top of the list if I scroll too quickly.

Let me know if there is any other info I can provide. Love the app and development otherwise.

embyserver.txt 10.44 kB · 1 download

And you only see it on the genres screen?

seanbuff
1 hour ago, Luke said:

And you only see it on the genres screen?

I was able witness this one first-hand this past weekend on a family members AppleTV, and yes it appears to only be on the Genre screen.
Behaves exactly like the video taken in post #2 of this thread.

Can you get this to occur straight from going into the app, or does it require some other action first, such as playback?

seanbuff
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Can you get this to occur straight from going into the app, or does it require some other action first, such as playback?

In my limited testing, yes it occurs straight from a clean session before playback and also after - activity doesn't seem to make any difference.

• Thanks 1

Funkshoi
2 hours ago, Luke said:

This occurs at all times for me regardless of before/after playback or fresh restart of app or device. Precisely the same situation as OP’s video at the beginning of this thread. On two different ATV’s.

Also yes this only occurs in the genres section and nowhere else that I’ve noticed. 

As Ive noted in my case, the rate of scroll seems to affect refresh. 

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, cnwinger said:

Any update on this?

Hi, we’re still looking into it. Thanks.

• 7 months later...
cnwinger

4 years after being reported...still getting this when scrolling down a movie genre. "Hold on kids...we'll get down to that Christmas movie eventually here...".

I really need to get around to switching off of Emby. 

Obviously the AppleTV app has been abandoned.  Not a great way to treat paying Premiere customers.

8 minutes ago, cnwinger said:

4 years after being reported...still getting this when scrolling down a movie genre. "Hold on kids...we'll get down to that Christmas movie eventually here...".

I really need to get around to switching off of Emby. 

Obviously the AppleTV app has been abandoned.  Not a great way to treat paying Premiere customers.

Hi, the app has not been abandoned. In fact we just had an update for it last week. We'll look into this issue. Thanks.

cnwinger
On 12/11/2023 at 10:27 AM, Luke said:

Hi, the app has not been abandoned. In fact we just had an update for it last week. We'll look into this issue. Thanks.

Look, I've been waiting for 2 major issues to be resolved for years here. Years. This one, and this one. And I'm not the only one.

Obviously no one here is expecting a fast turnaround. But 4 and 5 years since being reported?  These aren't some nitpick issues either. This feature request and defect are 2 things that are NEEDED in order to browse a large movie collection.  And yet the aren't a priority, ever?

How can the absolute minimum functionality for browsing a large movie collection just be ignored for so long?

Could you direct me to the release notes for Apple TV releases? I'd love to see the list of stuff that has been prioritized above these 2 for 4 years. 

Right now you seem like a bot that responds to every post with "we're looking into it, thanks" without acknowledging the fact that you've said the same thing for years.  How about a halfway human response?  Are these things ever getting done?  Just be honest.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
cnwinger
On 12/13/2023 at 3:24 PM, cnwinger said:

Right now you seem like a bot that responds to every post with "we're looking into it, thanks" without acknowledging the fact that you've said the same thing for years.  How about a halfway human response?  Are these things ever getting done?  Just be honest.

On 1/21/2024 at 1:43 PM, Luke said:

Hi, we are still looking into this. Thanks.

L

O

L

• 1 month later...

Hi, this will be resolved in Emby for Apple TV 1.8.6. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, the latest update to Emby for Apple TV resolves this. Thanks.

On 4/16/2024 at 2:19 PM, Luke said:

Hi, the latest update to Emby for Apple TV resolves this. Thanks.

What about the A-Z Scroll that everyone has been requesting for years?