Can't Log in to Android TV

BradnMike
Go to solution Solved by BradnMike,

BradnMike

I recently loaded Emby onto my computer and things work great on the computer and my Android phone but when I loaded the Emby app on my NVidia Shield I can't log in.  I keep getting "Invalid User Name or Password Error" but the credentials entered are correct.  I even purchased the premium to see if that would fix things, but it didn't.  Have tried entering manually and that didn't work.  The "Select a User" icon is showing a lock but can't seem to unlock it.  Any suggestions???

BradnMike

So I tried logging into the server via Chrome on the NVidia Shield and it works great.  Still no luck actually logging into the Emby App for Android TV.  Perhaps I'll have to go back to using PLEX instead.

Hi there, what login method did you use? Did you use pin code method, or did you enter your credentials directly into the app?

BradnMike

I just tried to loading the Android mobile app and Android TV app onto my Samsung tablet.  I was able to login using the mobile app but the Android TV app gives me the same login error "Invalid User Name or Password".  I should say my NVidia Shield is ethernet connected but my phone and tablet were via wifi.

Hi.  Are you using SSL?  If so, you'll need a certificate the device trusts.

BradnMike

I am using an SSL on my computer.  If the SSL is causing the issue is it only with the Android TV app?  I side loaded the mobile app onto my shield and it runs perfectly.  I am also running a Plex server on my computer and have never had an SSL issue with the plex app on the shield.  Is this only an Emby issue?

Edited by BradnMike

BradnMike

Sorry I misunderstood the SSL cert question.  I never added an SSL cert to this computer.  When browsing I do get "https://" so the certificate is just the ones running on Firefox and Chrome.

Edited by BradnMike

BradnMike

Well I was finally able to get logged into Android TV app but only through Connect method.  Still can't log in via user, as I continue to get the "invalid user or password" error for both login credentials or pin code.

Okay, right now, you need a valid SSL cert that is also recognized by the client device in order for https to work.

We're looking into if we can put a way for you to bypass this in the app.

Ok thanks. It looks good so far using connect but I would prefer if I could actually log in.

Connect is just an easy way to find the address of your server so if that is working, you can also log in manually - using the same address.

Are you positive you've been entering the proper password?  Not your Emby Connect password, but the password for the local user on the server?

BradnMike

Yes very sure my login credentials and password are correct.  As I said earlier, I use the same procedure with Android mobile app and everything is fine.  The issue is only with the Android TV version of the app!

• Solution
BradnMike

Ok problem solved.  Apparently my login through the Android TV app was being seen as a privacy threat by my internet security.  Not sure why it didn't do it using the Android mobile app.  Unfortunately my tv and computer are in different rooms so I didn't see the notification coming up on my computer.  I was able to set an exception for the security threat and all is fixed.  Thanks to everyone who was helping with the problem.  Looking forward to my experience with the Emby Media Server!

• Like 1

Great!

Glad you figured it out and that it wasn't a certificate issue.

Very interesting, thanks for the feedback. What security software is on your PC?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
13 hours ago, ckat90 said:

I am having this same issue on both of my fireTv sticks. 

I will take a look at my security program and see if there are any notifications. 

What should I be doing to allow them to log in?

Hi.  This topic is very old.  Please start a new one with details of the issue you are having.  Thanks.