Play videos and photos together in mixed content folders

lejared

lejared

I have a lot mixed content folders containing personal photos and video, e.g. from a holidays trip. Usually they are ordered by Date.

When I view the photos a video is coming up right between them, then only a small thumbnail is displayed instead of starting playing the video. To watch that video I have to close image view first an then scroll to to video in the folder view and start it separately. After finishing the video I have to do the same to continue with the photos.

• Like 1

Hi, this is already supported in a home videos library. Why not just use that?

lejared

I just checked again and this library actually is of that content type (type "Heim-Videos und Fotos" in German version) but it does not work either in the web app or in the Samsung Tizen TV app (USB sideloaded version).

When watching photos and next item is a video only a small preview image is displayed but no video will be played. If I choose the same video directly from folder view in that library then it will be played just fine but when finish it will drop me just back to the folder view or the details view of that video.

When watching photos and next item is a video only a small preview image is displayed but no video will be played. 

That's by design, that was feedback we got a while ago.

lejared

I don't understand. What is the purpose of not playing a video in a explicitly mixed photos and videos library when it was there?

• Like 1

I don't understand. What is the purpose of not playing a video in a explicitly mixed photos and videos library when it was there?

Many people mix in videos with their photos but, when playing a slide show, probably don't want every single video to play automatically.

We should probably make a way for you to play it manually while the thumb is on screen.

• Like 2

lejared

We should probably make a way for you to play it manually while the thumb is on screen.

That would be nice.

funwithmedia

Many people mix in videos with their photos but, when playing a slide show, probably don't want every single video to play automatically.

If you do that I'd love to see that same underlying code applied to the below feature request:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/46786-emby-theater-navigate-to-item-displayed-during-emby-screensaver-when-certain-key-combo-pressed/

:)

Yup, agreed.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
MBSki

I'd prefer that videos automatically play during a slide show, but a manual play probably works for more people. Can you improve how a video is identified though? Making it a tiny image is a little odd. How about full screen with a big play arrow in the middle. Or big video camera with length of video. Something's got to be better than the tiny image.

• Like 2

MBSki

Hi, this is already supported in a home videos library.

What's supported? Manually playing the video, or a better identifier of a video instead of the tiny image? I watched a slide show a few days ago on my Xbox One and I could manually play the video, but the image was tiny. 

MBSki

I'll take a pic a little later, but I'm already using a home video and photos library. When the slide show plays and hits a video, the "picture" of the video is 1/3rd the size of photos. Photos are full screen and the videos, are a 1/3rd the size of the photo with huge black bars on all sides. Instead of the tiny photo for videos, a full screen photo with a big play button in the middle would be better. And, even better than that would be a user option to automatically play videos. 

lejared

As described above this does not work, not for home video libraries and not for any other library type. If you watch the photo items in a "home videos" library and the next item in the list is a video, then Emby displays just a preview image of that video but there are no controls to start playback.

Reproduction Steps

1. Create a new library of type "home videos and fotos".

2. put three JPG files in there. Name them 1.jpg, 2.jpg and 4.jpg

3. put an mp4 file in there. Name it 3.mp4

4. Open that library in Emby Web App (or any other Emby client, tested on iPhone, iPad and Samsung Tizen TV App so far)

5. Select 1.jpg to open and view it

6. swipe left or use "next"-button on the right edge to view the next image, which will be 2.jpg (this works just as expected)

7. swipe left again to jump to the next item, which would be 3.mp4

Now the video does not play. Also there are no controls to play the video manually. Just a small preview image is displayed instead.

If you want to play that video you'll have to go back to the library/folder list again, navigate to that particular video and start it directly from the overview.

But then, when the video "3.mp4" has just finished playing, emby drops you right back to the overview again and does not advance to the next item (which should be "4.jpg"). You'll have to select that one manually again.

So this is not a very comfortable way to watch a mixed content type library because you can only chose to either watch photos or videos, not both together.

Edited by lejared

MBSki

Here's a pic of the small image. And I can't get it to manually play on the Xbox one either. I thought I could but I just tried it, and it won't work. I pressed down to get the pause icon, but there's no indication of how we can start the video. Just the pause button shows.

post-290994-0-81415900-1577749227_thumb.jpg

MBSki

I tried this with the Android TV app and the videos are getting skipped. At least on the Xbox I can see that there's a video. Unfortunately neither platform allows manually (or automatically) playing videos.

Edited by mbarylski

I'll take a pic a little later, but I'm already using a home video and photos library. When the slide show plays and hits a video, the "picture" of the video is 1/3rd the size of photos. Photos are full screen and the videos, are a 1/3rd the size of the photo with huge black bars on all sides. Instead of the tiny photo for videos, a full screen photo with a big play button in the middle would be better. And, even better than that would be a user option to automatically play videos. 

Right, it doesn't work great, but that's just where things are at this stage. Ideally you'd be able to play the video as part of the slideshow, but that's just not something we've gotten to yet. But you can at least see the video thumbnail so that it's at least part of the slideshow.

MBSki

Ok, thanks. Is that that type of thing that will be included in the new Android TV app when it hits public release?

I don't know about the very next release, but I've added it to our internal issue tracker and we'll get to it as soon as we can. Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
MBSki

ebr has added this to the Android TV beta. It works, but there's an issue with it crashing after playing a few videos that he's currently investigating.

• 5 months later...

Hi, it's not supported in a mixed content library. Try using a home videos & photos library.

lejared
7 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, it's not supported in a mixed content library. Try using a home videos & photos library.

No, it does actually not work in home videos and photos library. That’s what this whole thread is all about!

• Like 1

MBSki

Yea, I'm not aware of this working in any app except Android TV. Unfortunately my Sony TV can't handle it and freezes every time I try to use the feature. Desperately need this fixed especially in the Xbox one app since it's one of the few remaining items that requires me to continue using Plex.