How to adjust quality of photos in the app?

lejared

lejared

Thanks for releasing the USB-sideload-Version of the app for Samsung TVs out of USA / UK. Works wonderful.

Is there any setting to increase the quality of photos (JPG Images) when viewed in the app? The Images don't even have Full HD resolution and the JEPG compression is way to high. All my photos look terrible when viewed on my 55" 4K MU8009 through the emby app. You can see the JEPG compression artifacts even when viewed from 5 meters away! Landscape images don't even fill the screen (because of low resolution?). There are thin black bars on all sides.

Hi, what screens do they not look good in? Can you please go over an example? How does the web app compare?

lejared

They look bad when i view the image in full screen.

The web app seems to do better but not that much and still way worse than the original image.

When I view the image details for the actual image displayed in the web app (Firefox 67 on Windows PC) it states that it is of image type webp, has a resolution of 1920 x 1280 px and a size of 468 kB. The original image is a jpeg with a resolution of 4147 x 2765 pixels and a size of 1,6 MB

I will attach both of them to this post for you.

In the zip file you will also find a screenshot (photo) of my samsung tv showing the exact same image with the samsung tv app. There you will see that all the details on the buildings on the photo are gone and only some really huge JPEG block artifacts are left. Also the resolution seems to be even worse than the 1920 x 1280 of the web app.

fotos.zip

Edited by lejared

Can you attach the emby server log? We can use that to see what resolution the Samsung app downloaded the image at. Thanks.

FrostByte

That photo looks a little pixelated on my TV also, more so than on my computer.  I can see the blocks in the clouds and elsewhere also.  

To me it looks like since the app is displaying the photo maximized that there just isn't enough bits there for it to look good when it's blown up that big.  My photos which have a similar resolution but are much larger in size look good on my TV.

lejared

Please find the log attached.

Arraound 434 there are some requests from the Samsung TV which look like this:

2019-07-08 21:02:23.109 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 192.168.178.34. Time: 20ms. http://192.168.178.25:8096/emby/Items/12815/Images/Primary?maxWidth=1536&tag=f7dacec04228d2bff412aa9cda32833f&quality=50
2019-07-08 21:02:31.339 Info HttpServer: HTTP GET http://192.168.178.25:8096/dlna/9261ce1d65c840019b5e6b1be14ff5d3/description.xml. UserAgent: Microsoft-Windows/6.1 UPnP/1.0 Windows-Media-Player-DMS/12.0.7601.17514 DLNADOC/1.50

Looks like the image size is limited to 1536px width and compression quality is set to 50. I'd expect something more like  maxWidth=3840 and quality=90 on a 4K TV.

But why resize and recompress the images anyway and not just "direct play" them to the TV?

On line 679 you'll find some request from a Firefox 67 on a Windows PC which look like this:

2019-07-08 21:05:16.492 Info HttpServer: HTTP GET http://stardust:8096/emby/Items/12805/Images/Primary?maxWidth=1920&tag=67d877d24239120a57b61f00e969965c&quality=90. UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:67.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/67.0

It got some slightly better 1920px resolution and way better quality=90 compression.

@FrostByte:

This photo looks perfectly sharp and with no visual pixels or compression artifacts when directly played from an USB-drive on the TV or when played over DLNA from my Fritz Box's (Router) Media Server.

embyserver.txt

hardware_detection-63698215850.txt

Edited by lejared
  • Like 1

FrostByte

They do look better from USB on the TV.  Wonder why the app needs to change the quality at all, the built in viewer doesn't seem to do any converting. 

Mine are all being changed to 50 or 60 quality, but don't suffer quiet as bad because of higher dpi

Edited by FrostByte

lejared

Mine are all being changed to 50 or 60 quality, but don't suffer quiet as bad because of higher dpi

The "quality" setting of jpeg compression does not rely on "higher dpi" or anything form the source image as long as the quality and resolution of the source image is significantly higher than the result image (after recompression), which is both given here.

The effect, that compression artifacts are more visual in some images than in others comes from the different contents of the image. Smooth gradients will suffer much more from lower compression quality settings than high contrast parts. Just try any image of your collection mostly showing water or sky at sunset or sun dawn and you will see the same obtrusive blocks there, regardless of how big or "good" the original image file was.

You can try yourself here interactively: http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/jpeg-quality

Note how the sky example already becomes notably blocky on quality 60 and below while the more detailed example images can keep more details even at higher compression levels.

Also note that those images degradations become much more visible on high contrast screens like an HDR TV than on a standard contrast screen like a computer monitor.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
lejared

I've just tried Samsung Emby App v 1.0.63

I can't see any Changes here. Still the same quality=50 and maxWith=1536 settiings.

Excerpt from the latest log:

2019-07-28 21:49:49.309 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 192.168.178.34. Time: 940ms. http://192.168.178.25:8096/emby/Items/12806/Images/Primary?maxWidth=1536&tag=c860627456b590b44918bf66a6db2131&quality=50
2019-07-28 21:49:52.889 Info HttpServer: HTTP POST http://192.168.178.25:8096/emby/Sessions/Playing/Stopped. UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (SMART-TV; LINUX; Tizen 3.0) AppleWebKit/538.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 TV Safari/538.1

Please also note, that the response time was 940ms.

This is the time it takes my machine to resize and re-encode the images on the fly. This also makes viewing the photo gallery very slow, because there is always a loading break on every image. Also CPU Load is on 100% while loading photos. My Emby server runs on a 3,5 GHz intel Dual Core.

I'd really love to see direct play for photos without resizing an re-encoding, at least on intranet.

post-326980-0-83026400-1564343692_thumb.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
lejared

I just installed the latest Emby Tizen App over USB. It's version 1.0.64

The Image Resolution slightly improved to maxWidth=1920 (still way behind UHD Resolution). The image quality though is still terrible because jpeg quality is still set to "50". Also switching between photo is still slow because of transcoding/recoding.

Excerpt from the log:

2019-09-05 22:43:59.131 Info HttpServer: HTTP GET http://192.168.178.25:8096/emby/Items/12804/Images/Primary?maxWidth=1920&tag=7b8f652a4e209a2a5dd4069509bb1a86&quality=50. UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (SMART-TV; LINUX; Tizen 3.0) AppleWebKit/538.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 TV Safari/538.1

Why can't emby just "direct play" photos without any resizing or recoding? It would be the fastest option with best image quality.

• Like 1

It's sized based on the dimensions of the app. So even though your tv is 4k, it's only video playback that is in 4k. The user interfaces of your apps run in 1080p. But we can try having the full screen slideshow force it at original quality.

• Like 1

lejared

Thanks for explanation.

Still not very satisfying though. May be on the long run the whole interface could get an upgrade to 4k some day, if possible. This could also give sharper thumbnails an icons.

Regarding photos:

Would it be possible then to "direct play" photos in full resolution over DLNA from emby like other media servers do (including the media server  that comes with windows media player in Windows 7)?

FrostByte

What Luke means is that the resolution is a limitation of the Tizen platform, not the Emby app.  Samsung only allows videos to play at 4K resolution, everything else is lower

https://developer.samsung.com/tv/develop/specifications/general-specifications#general-features

What happens if you don't change the quality though?  Can the TV handle it, or does it error or become really slow because the photo is greater than 1080p?

Edit: just saying this because I know there are people with D-series TVs who are running the HD version of the old Orsay app with no problem and the D-series hub as you know only ran at SD though it could stream HD video.  So the TV might be doing its own conversion of some sort

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

lejared

What Luke means is that the resolution is a limitation of the Tizen platform, not the Emby app.  Samsung only allows videos to play at 4K resolution, everything else is lower

https://developer.samsung.com/tv/develop/specifications/general-specifications#general-features

Ok, I understand. Thanks for explanation!

But what about DLNA? Any chances to direct play photos there? I know, that the TV (2017 model) definitely supports this, because it works with Windows 7 Media Server and the (very week) FritzBox DLS-Router integrated media server.

• 3 weeks later...

What Luke means is that the resolution is a limitation of the Tizen platform, not the Emby app. Samsung only allows videos to play at 4K resolution, everything else is lower

So basically, that limitation should be trivial to bypass by abusing the video player. The only hard part will be figuring out the correct ffmpeg invocation to make the server convert images into a video.