Fire Stick - Emby Recommends

Innate

Innate

I have an Amazon Fire Stick 4k HDR version. Apps like Netflix and HBO Go have their own "Recommends" row on the home screen. They allow you to launch specific content directly without going into the app then selecting the content. It would be great if emby could do this as well.

• Like 1

Hi.  I'm afraid we cannot do this on the Amazon platform.

However, we do have this very type of thing on the Google version for Android TV.

5d13e9c23aa5b_oreochannels.png

• Like 1

Ah, it appears Amazon has changed how this works for them (they used to require centralized content).  However, they've done it with an old and deprecated Android API since they are still on an older Android version (pre 8.0).

We would have to look into if we can restore the old functionality in the app and enable it for Amazon.

Thanks.

• Like 1

And... this will be in the next release of the app:

5d14ffb2c4b0e_amazonrecs.png

BTW - these two screen grabs next to each other really points out (again) how much nicer Amazon's presentation is over Google's.  Google used to look this nice and, for some reason, they decided to uglify it :).

• Like 1

Innate

Awesome news. Thanks. I agree it looks much better on Fire. What you implemented, will it have a row dedicated to movies and a separate one dedicated to tv shows?

What you implemented, will it have a row dedicated to movies and a separate one dedicated to tv shows?

No, the way this works on the Fire is they lump everything together.  Notice the label on the row.  They even combine the content from multiple apps if you have them that do this.  I assume HBO etc. worked some sort of special deal with them to get their own rows.

Standard Android, when using this old API, would at least show an individual row for each app.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, I don't have an exact ETA but we try to target a new release every couple of months.

Thanks.

• 2 years later...
ghaugabrook

Good Morning,

What is the current status of this feature? The current Firestick home screen shows the recommendations of each app as you scroll over the app. When I scroll over Emby, it defaults to other apps customers also downloaded instead of recommendations. It would be awesome feature for upcoming update. Any thoughts or comments?

Hi.  This particular feature was released a long time ago.  What you are describing sounds like something different.

ghaugabrook

Here, I've attached screen shots. As you can see with Netflix recommendations are presented while Emby's is not. 

image.png.9b15018a077e0885fe7713e7e27c2435.png

image.png.72d60551d978ed0170a0b00f881347a2.png

samuelqwe

I’ve also never seen this feature work as described, so I always assumed it to be a regional limitation since I’m in Canada.

• Agree 1

ghaugabrook

I'm in the US and have not seen this feature work as well. Are there any additional settings that need to be applied in order to initiate function? 

In Android TV, you have to go into the settings and enable apps to appear in these types of lists.  Perhaps there is now one of those settings in the Fire as well.

• 8 months later...

Just curious, is anyone able to see this working in Fire Tv , I don’t see any recommendations from emby on homescreen or under the emby app

Edited by gtpvkr

ghaugabrook

Hi guys,

It still works in ATV. It shows all the suggestions on my wife's profile, but on my profile and the kids, it only shows 3 suggestions. I have not looked into it more, since I generally just go in through the Emby app. I'll look into her settings and mine to see if I can find why only her emby profile shows all suggestions verses ours; but either way, it does work on ATV. 

Emby Suggestions.jpg

ghaugabrook

I was a big supporter of Amazon FTV for years. I have 4 of each version up till this year, when I decided to switch to Walmart's Onn 4K streaming box. The Onn box is a much better experience than the FTV at under $20. It has a clean android tv os and works just as good as my NVidia shield. I was amazed when I tried this little box in February of this year, and I have been with them ever since. It doesn't have all the bloatware that FTV has, and it just provides a better experience. App suggestion is one of the better advantages of using a clean android tv os. 

onn. Android TV 4K UHD Streaming Device with Voice Remote Control & HDMI Cable - Walmart.com

ghaugabrook

Since this thread reopened, I decided to try and find out why some of the profiles show all of the suggestions and others only show 3 suggestions. I was unsuccessful in determining the reason. Does anyone else have this issue and a suggestion to resolve the issue. I went through the settings in the ones that show all suggestions and did my best to mimic the settings in the ones that only show 3 suggestions, but there was no change in the ones that only show 3 suggestions. I would appreciate any suggestion to try. 

Edited by ghaugabrook

samsung2100
30 minutes ago, ghaugabrook said:

Since this thread reopened, I decided to try and find out why some of the profiles show all of the suggestions and others only show 3 suggestions. I was unsuccessful in determining the reason. Does anyone else have this issue and a suggestion to resolve the issue. I went through the settings in the ones that show all suggestions and did my best to mimic the settings in the ones that only show 3 suggestions, but there was no change in the ones that only show 3 suggestions. I would appreciate any suggestion to try. 

This is a good reason to own an HTPC, install an android tv OS on a mini pc and you can make it to your liking my friend.

• Like 1

ghaugabrook

post link to ATV os download please. That sounds like a great idea. I was thinking that maybe, the device has limited memory issues.

samsung2100
1 minute ago, ghaugabrook said:

post link to ATV os download please. That sounds like a great idea. I was thinking that maybe, the device has limited memory issues.

I will get you the link in a min, I am a big eye candy person I like big backdrops Banners lots of choices cool colors different style movie covers animation and even adding emojis in the names of folders. An HTPC is great until things get better, hopefully.

• Like 1