• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 bizarro252 OFFLINE  

bizarro252

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Local time: 07:17 PM

Posted 07 August 2019 - 04:27 PM

Love it, thank you, tested things out over the past few days on a monthly pass, will be moving to lifetime after that. 

#22 denz OFFLINE  

denz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2138 posts
  • Local time: 09:17 AM
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 07 August 2019 - 08:53 PM

One thing that would be better if the guide had more rows there is so much empty space I have posted on ATV comparisons between wmc and atv and wmc has many rows and everything is still readable.

#23 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5001 posts
  • Local time: 06:17 PM

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:39 AM

Okay. How many rows? What is the optimal amount of rows on LiveTV that you feel are baby bear perfect. Think goldilocks. Papa bear porridge too hot. Mama bear too cold. Baby bear perfect. What is the baby bear perfect amount of rows for LiveTV? While on that subject. More rows, but not more columns? Adding more columns would crush text and make things unreadable. You just mean more rows for more channels on the grid, not more time showing? How many rows is perfect?

#24 denz OFFLINE  

denz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2138 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 08:56 PM

I will take photos of wmc and roku on the same tv so you can see a comparison.

#25 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5001 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:25 PM

I will take photos of wmc and roku on the same tv so you can see a comparison.

Thank you. Seeing would help.

#26 denz OFFLINE  

denz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2138 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 07:31 AM

Big difference between the two wmc rows are condensed but everything is still legible from far away

Attached File  292A05C8-B497-45B4-9017-4B6DD14C3AE7.jpeg   110.97KB   1 downloadsAttached File  0C6BB584-8BF1-418C-B23F-F5340760E03A.jpeg   103.86KB   1 downloads

No subtitles on rewind noticed Luke’s post and it is roku setting.
  • samuelqwe likes this

#27 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 46041 posts
  • Local time: 09:17 PM

Posted 10 August 2019 - 03:09 PM

It is possible we could offer a one-line guide option in the future.

#28 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5001 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 06:29 PM

Yeah when you see a sea of those little [new] [repeat] and such [tags] all over you may not miss them once they are gone. It is again personal choice.

More personal choice is personally a good thing to choose to do. Plus it looks good and the venerable WMC uses the same thing so of course it was common place at one time to only get one row. Now we are spoiled with our multi row display on liveTV grids. This lets people harken back to the days of yore when Microsoft ruled the planet with their software. Remember those days?

Roku could bring it back. Android TV could. It would be refreshing. Remember when TV guide had pages and they flipped. Now not saying hey page flip animations please (like google books).. But.. not saying no to them at the same time.. Outright copying is not bringing anything new to the table and it has been seen before. Innovate and use your imagination and take that WMC idea and refresh it but keep the core concept. I agree. :)

I like that on Roku it is ridiculously hard to think of something you cannot do exactly as you want and present it exactly how you want it. It is ridiculously hard to find where Roku has boxed themselves into a corner and made it hard to develop outside how they want things. Roku left the door wide open as far as possibilities for graphics and UI control. That makes it both incredibly difficult and fabulously marvelous at the same time. The price for admission is very high (brightscript is hard to grasp). To get on the rides you must be very tall (Now Scene Graph XML on top of brightscript? say wha?). But once you are inside the Roku park they let you build literally whatever you want. Without exception. Once you pay the price to get in and are tall enough they leave the door open for any possibilities. I like that Roku crafted their platform this way sometimes. Other times I curse their very existence.

Stop breaking my things, Roku *shakes fist*

Roku, for the love of God stop breaking things and clumsily jumping around like a bull in a China shop.

Please just sit down, Roku! Oh it rebooted for no reason. Marvelous.

Roku calls them firmware updates that might have bugs. You cannot stop them. I call them tech support calls and user/forum complaints. But I love Roku and Emby... lol. Seriously..

Now honestly Roku has a big bunch of devices to put coder guys on and write firmware. Granted it must not be easy to write the software that software gets written on. As in brightscript only exists in Roku land. So these guys have a little harder time writing alot of stuff from the ground up and porting in other code here and there where they can. So gotta give them that much. Roku is different on purpose so that developers get more control without Roku giving up device control. Roku made it easy to draw on the screen and take control of the remote but you cannot "hack" their kernel because the sandbox you are in is written in a completely different language than the main kernel understands. So some of the slowness of Roku is this "emulation" middle man constantly convert from BRS object-code into Nix/Android. Since at the lowest level that we don't get access to Roku is Android. The high level language Roku chose and sandboxes is where they diverge. Javascript is the NDKA for Roku and requires partner compilation keys. You cannot compile NDK alone as you need a keyed Roku and Roku has to allow you to key that device. They track NDKA keyed devices very very closely. The keys are up for blind bidding. You give Roku a price you'd pay. They say No. They later contact you with a much higher price than you bid. You say No.

Edited by speechles, 10 August 2019 - 07:02 PM.

• bizarro252 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users