Raspberry Pi 4 Announced - 4K Support and up to 4GB RAM

BAlGaInTl

BAlGaInTl

Just saw an article pointing out that the new Raspberry Pi 4 is available.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/

It has a lot of improvements over the previous Pi 3 including:

• USB Type-C for power
  • 4 USB ports including 2 USB 3 ports
  • Dual (micro) HDMI supporting 4K
  • Bumps to processor and video cores
  • Up to 4GB of RAM
  • Improved gigabit ethernet

This looks like it could turn into a great media player, and maybe a decent server.

Thoughts?

Who's going to test it first?

arrbee99

I am sure with a few driver updates it will become more stable.

True. Early days.

Probably don't need another box attached to the TV, but would be interesting to compare it to a Shield, just for streaming, 4K, NF, Amazon, if it works at all for those.

BAlGaInTl

Few bugs with video playback maybe...

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/raspberry-pi-4-b,6193.html

The networking performance from that article really impressed me.

I may have to replace my PiVPN with one of these.  It's running on a 3 at the moment.

I am sure with a few driver updates it will become more stable.

One would think.  The LibreELEC is still listed as alpha.  I can only imagine things will get better.  Too many people want better video performance out of these little computers, so I'm sure it will get a lot of attention.

widget100

Ok, well as soon as Emby has a beta for that I'm buying one.

What's not to love. 3-4 times the speed, double the ram speed and more than double the FFmpeg transcode speed.

Come on Luke and the devs, what are you waiting for :)

widget100

Are we all sure about this?

New version of Debian, reported compatibility (I wont say issues) challenges as it's all very new.  LibreElec have an Alpha out for it so they've obviously had to do some work to get it functioning.

It also has HEVC hardware decoding and 1080p support so hope you'll add support for those as soon as you get time.

Anymore feedback @@Spotta?

Spotta

The ET stand alone image doesn't even boot, it needs to recompiled on Buster I believe to work on the Rpi4

I got the armhf installed on Buster full ok, it connects to my server, has a very jerky interface, but attempting to play any content just gives an endless spinning wheel.

For now the Rpi3 has gone back into service so my wife can watch love island (!!) and I'll try and troubleshoot the 4 when I have the time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
thynan

Hi!

Just installed Emby Theater 3.0.9 on a RPI4. The interface works quite well, but the Video Playback is rather choppy. With h264 Movies it's a bit choppy on 1080p. With x265 movies it's unwatchable, so I guess the hardware decoding of the RPI4 is not yet supported? Has anyone got ET running smoothly on an RPI4 yet?

• 4 weeks later...
ludacris

I know that this is a bit off topic, since this discussion is more about Emby Theater on a Raspberry Pi 4.

I am currently evaluating if a Raspberry Pi 4 with 2GB ram is powerful enough to replace my dedicated server as I actually do not want to transfer my BD Library to a root server thats standing somewhere in a datacenter. 

Serving 1080p x264 to a browser or kodi works like a charm. For 4k x265 files however it seems as if emby is reencoding them with libx264 which takes pretty much 100% of the CPU and 800mb RAM. I am not sure if this is because libx265 is missing or if emby always reencodes files to x264. 

Are there any recomendations for the format / ffmpeg settings when I am ripping my BD's? 

Edit #2: 4k h265 streaming to Kodi (running on an old laptop) works great tough. 

Edited by ludacris

I know that this is a bit off topic, since this discussion is more about Emby Theater on a Raspberry Pi 4.

I am currently evaluating if a Raspberry Pi 4 with 2GB ram is powerful enough to replace my dedicated server as I actually do not want to transfer my BD Library to a root server thats standing somewhere in a datacenter. 

Serving 1080p x264 to a browser or kodi works like a charm. For 4k x265 files however it seems as if emby is reencoding them with libx264 which takes pretty much 100% of the CPU and 800mb RAM. I am not sure if this is because libx265 is missing or if emby always reencodes files to x264.

We'd have to look at an example. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Currently stress testing my RPi 4 4GB with Emby.  So far so good:

5dc79a7280b0b_IMG_4955.png

If anyone is interested, I have the RPi (box on the far left with the small screen) set up as an AP to which all of the other devices are connected.  My goal is to use the RPi as a portable streamer for the kiddos' iPads when on road trips.  I had been using devices such as this:

https://www.ravpower.com/products/rp-wd009-filehub

And while this one worked great, the app used for streaming is terrible compared to Emby, so I figured I'd try to build an Emby server with an RPi 4.  Pretty happy with the results thus far, given the investment of less than $100.  If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to share the basic setup steps.

TeamB

Looks good.

The Pi4 can run hot when under load and will start to limit performance when it hits 80 Deg C internal. You might need some good passive or active cooling.

Looks good.

The Pi4 can run hot when under load and will start to limit performance when it hits 80 Deg C internal. You might need some good passive or active cooling.

Yeah, I know that's an issue for the RPi 4 so I bought a case that has a fan built into it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WRV48ZW/

the airflow isn't that great, though, as it is mounted nearly flush to the back of the touchscreen.  It did come with a alternative top for the case that fits just the fan and a grate in lieu of the screen, so once I have everything working, I may just ditch the screen.

@@Jägs, any experience with HW transcoding on RPi 4?

I'm using the default Emby server package settings at the moment, so I haven't played with any of the transcoder settings.  My focus has been getting the AP settings working--the docs default to 802.11g so I had to play around with various hostapd configs to get AC working.

I'm hoping to play around with transcoding later today.  I do have a 45GB UHD rip of Bumblebee on the SSD connected to RPi 4 as a "best scenario" test case, but it hasn't been able to play it, yet.

• Like 1

widget100

I'm using the default Emby server package settings at the moment, so I haven't played with any of the transcoder settings.  My focus has been getting the AP settings working--the docs default to 802.11g so I had to play around with various hostapd configs to get AC working.

I'm hoping to play around with transcoding later today.  I do have a 45GB UHD rip of Bumblebee on the SSD connected to RPi 4 as a "best scenario" test case, but it hasn't been able to play it, yet.

Are you testing with the 4.3.x.x beta or the normal release version?

No conversions (hardware or software) work at all on the Pi with the beta releases at the moment. I've reported it several times but no acknowledgement from Luke or Softworkz about the issue.

You should get software transcoding on the fly (standard playback function). I get 24 fps with some occasional pauses as the buffer catches up on a Pi3 using an SSD as the cache/temp destination. So I'd be very interested to see if the Pi4 beats 24 on software transcode.