direct play DTS / True HD

horstepipe

horstepipe

Hey

is it expected to have no audio when direct playing a DTS or TrueHD stream? Shouldn't mvp be capable of playing them back via LPCM?

I'm using Emby v1.4.2.12 (beta) on my Apple TV 4K.

Best regards

Edited by horstepipe

horstepipe

The TVOS function to downmix to DD has no effect either. In Kodi the downmixing works fine.

Did you disable transcoding?

The Apple TV is not going to support those audio formats so we should be converting them on the server.

horstepipe

yes I do not want to make use of transcoding...

The Apple TV is not going to support those audio formats so we should be converting them on the server.

TVOS dropped support for passthrough, yes. But playing those formats via lpcm works fine on the Apple TV via Kodi. I can't believe that the mpv player is not capable of playing DTS via lpcm, so why don't you make use of it?

Edited by horstepipe

horstepipe

The TVOS function to downmix to DD has no effect either. In Kodi the downmixing works fine.

Also, why doesn't this work, either?

yes I do not want to make use of transcoding...

TVOS dropped support for passthrough, yes. But playing those formats via lpcm works fine on the Apple TV via Kodi. I can't believe that the mpv player is not capable of playing DTS via lpcm, so why don't you make use of it?

Software decoding of those formats is usually not nearly as good as bitstreaming them so we would rather convert to DD which the platform can bitstream.  A bitstreamed DD track usually sounds much better than a software decoded anything.  There are also some pesky licensing issues involved.

If you allow the server to do its job, then it should work properly :).

Also, why doesn't this work, either?

Because the platform doesn't recognize or know how to process the inputs you are giving it.

Guest asrequested

Software decoding of those formats is usually not nearly as good as bitstreaming them so we would rather convert to DD which the platform can bitstream.  A bitstreamed DD track usually sounds much better than a software decoded anything.  There are also some pesky licensing issues involved.

If you allow the server to do its job, then it should work properly :).

The mpv devs recommend software decoding instead of bitstreaming them. I've talked to several of them about this, and when developing, they always use software decoding.

https://mpv.io/manual/stable/#options-audio-spdif

The mpv devs recommend software decoding instead of bitstreaming them. I've talked to several of them about this, and when developing, they always use software decoding.

https://mpv.io/manual/stable/#options-audio-spdif

Our users (and my ears) don't but to each their own. :)

All you have to do is look back in the forum a few years to find complaints.  There is also a psychological factor where people don't believe they are hearing what they should when the right lights don't turn on on their receiver.

Guest asrequested

Our users (and my ears) don't but to each their own. :)

All you have to do is look back in the forum a few years to find complaints. There is also a psychological factor where people don't believe they are hearing what they should when the right lights don't turn on on their receiver.

Yeah, I know that a lot of people feel better when they see the symbol on the receiver display. But what about allowing the option to let mpv decode the audio? An if anyone can hear a difference in quality, that's an imagined effect. They state that it's lossless.

horstepipe

Software decoding of those formats is usually not nearly as good as bitstreaming them so we would rather convert to DD which the platform can bitstream.  A bitstreamed DD track usually sounds much better than a software decoded anything.

That's simply not true and you're supposed to know about it.

That's simply not true and you're supposed to know about it.

In many instances, it is true due to the processing applied by the outboard audio equipment.  And, as I stated before, the psychological factor is huge.  We have a lot of experience with this from a few years ago.

However, that is all a moot point due to the licensing issues.

horstepipe

So how does e.g. Infuse accomplish this? Shouldn’t they have the same licensing issues as you?

So how does e.g. Infuse accomplish this? Shouldn’t they have the same licensing issues as you?

Based on their website, it looks like they pay the licensing fees.

horstepipe

okay, one last question :-)

Why is it possible to play those files back on Amazon Fire TV (without transcoding)?

Do you pay the license on this platform?

Edited by horstepipe

okay, one last question :-)

Why is it possible to play those files back on Amazon Fire TV (without transcoding)?

Do you pay the license on this platform?

They are being mixed down to stereo in that instance.  We are never passing them on as full audio unless the device supports it.

• Like 1

sfatula

For my testing of 7.1 sound in Emby (TrueHD, DTS Master, etc.):

1. MrMc - Plays 7.1 on Apple TV 4 or later
  2. Infuse 4/5 - Plays 7.1 on Apple TV 4 or later
  3. Plex - Plays 7.1 on Apple TV 4 or later
  4. VLC - Plays 7.1 on Apple TV 4 or later
  5. Emby - Does not

Therefore, any time I come across a 7.1 video of mine, and I have a lot of them, I have to use some other player app as I am not going to pay for such things and have it downmixed, not the sound I enjoy.

• Like 2

horstepipe

yeah...

If MrMc is able to pay those license fees, you should be able to do that, too...?

yeah...

If MrMc is able to pay those license fees, you should be able to do that, too...?

They more than likely aren't but I don't really know.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
horstepipe

For my testing of 7.1 sound in Emby (TrueHD, DTS Master, etc.):

• MrMc - Plays 7.1 on Apple TV 4 or later
  • Infuse 4/5 - Plays 7.1 on Apple TV 4 or later
  • Plex - Plays 7.1 on Apple TV 4 or later
  • VLC - Plays 7.1 on Apple TV 4 or later
  • Emby - Does not
So @@ebr you say all those apps behave illegal or pay the fees and you’re the only player who is not willing to handle it? It’s not meant snippy, I’m just trying to understand the circumstances as this is the only showstopper for me to let my users go from Kodi to Emby on the Apple TV . Edited by horstepipe

sfatula

Ffmpeg can convert truehd to flac 7.1. And, flac 7.1 (also lossless) plays just fine from Emby to Emby Apple TV mpv client, all channels are played.

Edited by sfatula
  • Like 2