#41 skidmarks OFFLINE  

skidmarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • Local time: 04:37 PM

Posted 07 July 2019 - 02:07 PM

@speechles

Dont want to take over the beta thread, but i'm the long lost step child of emby (WMC / MB).  Went to the dark side and then had to do the walk of shame back (it was the 4.0 release actually).  The dedication and drive you guys (the developers) put into this is remarkable.  There was NO WAY a developer was gonna spend any time having a conversation and then fix the issues that were brought up in the forums at PLEX. 

With that said i have no reason to doubt you'll get that "to-do" list taken care of.

#42 speechles ONLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 4616 posts
  • Local time: 01:37 PM

Posted 07 July 2019 - 03:01 PM

There was NO WAY a developer was gonna spend any time having a conversation and then fix the issues that were brought up in the forums at PLEX. 

How else do they solve problems? They have a bureaucracy that reacts to events. In order for developers to react the lower down need to tell the higher ups what to do. It slows things down and creates a disconnect between their users and their developers. It creates an insulator effect where they don't need to actively patrol their forums for user issues. They have other people do that for them.

While here on the Emby side it is more free spirited. We are allowed to be who we are. I am very outgoing and like to reach out to users who have to issues to find the how/why and what to do to solve them. So they allow me alot of freedom to do things that would not be possible if this were structured differently. This loose approach works very very well and allows us all to find the time we need to create what users need. We also have the freedom to interact or not with users. Sometimes I say the wrong thing. I might.. I do.. I sometimes do. The freedom to allow us to be real and interact is the difference.

Don't spend all your time planting roses. Take the time to smell the roses too. I use the app as my primary Emby vehicle so I notice every day where we need to do better. Believe me... ^_^

Edited by speechles, 07 July 2019 - 03:02 PM.

#43 Gilgamesh_48 ONLINE  

Gilgamesh_48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 619 posts
  • Local time: 04:37 PM
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 07 July 2019 - 09:02 PM

How else do they solve problems? They have a bureaucracy that reacts to events. In order for developers to react the lower down need to tell the higher ups what to do. It slows things down and creates a disconnect between their users and their developers. It creates an insulator effect where they don't need to actively patrol their forums for user issues. They have other people do that for them.

While here on the Emby side it is more free spirited. We are allowed to be who we are. I am very outgoing and like to reach out to users who have to issues to find the how/why and what to do to solve them. So they allow me alot of freedom to do things that would not be possible if this were structured differently. This loose approach works very very well and allows us all to find the time we need to create what users need. We also have the freedom to interact or not with users. Sometimes I say the wrong thing. I might.. I do.. I sometimes do. The freedom to allow us to be real and interact is the difference.

Don't spend all your time planting roses. Take the time to smell the roses too. I use the app as my primary Emby vehicle so I notice every day where we need to do better. Believe me... ^_^

Bureaucracy, in all the worst senses of the word, is nearly the perfect way to describe the way Plex does things. It also could easily be compared to the "Flappers" of "Laputa" in that the developers almost never are heard from unless they get "flapped" by one of their servants.

That setup is one of the reasons I am here instead of there.

Here you respond in most cases a lot like a Deity that answers all prayers; but sometimes the answer is no.

I, as you may have noticed, like dialog.

• skidmarks likes this

#44 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 14690 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 12 July 2019 - 04:51 PM

Can "Genre" sorting not be tied to the library sorting (ascending/descending).  Example my movie library is release date descending, and I go to the Genre tab/menu it is now descending z-a.  To me Genre should always be a-z just like the web client (no sorting)

#45 speechles ONLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 4616 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 04:56 PM

The initial genre section should not be. The main genres like action, western, etc.. Those will always be A-Z every single time everywhere. But the sub-genres. That is what you mean? Because the sub-genres are actually based upon the item type. You mean you want the sub-genre separate from the main library section? So if in all-movies change sort that should not affect sub-genre movie sort. That is what you want?

It has the present behavior because how the web app worked at that time was copied. Exactly how that worked and was implemented is the behavior that was copied. If this behavior changed on the web app by all means we can address it on Roku. Otherwise it is working as designed. Consistent with the web app. ^_~

Let me know if you find the web app different for sub-genre and it isn't adopt the same all-movie sort/filter stuff. Thanks.

Edited by speechles, 12 July 2019 - 04:58 PM.

#46 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 14690 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 05:01 PM

The initial genre section should not be. The main genres like action, western, etc.. Those will always be A-Z every single time everywhere. But the sub-genres. That is what you mean? Because the sub-genres are actually based upon the item type. You mean you want the sub-genre separate from the main library section? So if in all-movies change sort that should not affect sub-genre movie sort. That is what you want?

It has the present behavior because how the web app worked at that time was copied. Exactly how that worked and was implemented is the behavior that was copied. If this behavior changed on the web app by all means we can address it on Roku. Otherwise it is working as designed. Consistent with the web app. ^_~

Let me know if you find the web app different for sub-genre and it isn't adopt the same all-movie sort/filter stuff. Thanks.

Genre appear in z-a when library is descending so Western first and Action last.  I can show a screenshot if needed.

#47 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 14690 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 05:09 PM

TV sorted Ascending so Genre is Ascending

5d28f6f3944e6_IMG_0169.jpg

Movies sorted Descending so Genre is Descending

5d28f705990a3_IMG_0170.jpg

Web app is always a-z.

Edited by Happy2Play, 12 July 2019 - 05:24 PM.

#48 speechles ONLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 4616 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 06:19 PM

@Happy2Play thanks for the picture now I understand and can replicate. Fixed it too.

Reference: Fix #525: [PosterGrid] Fix Genre sort (by/order/filters) to always be consistent to web app

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users