Clients Wont connect to Emby Server

Ifflanb

Ifflanb

My Fire TV Emby client and Nvidia Shield TV Emby client no longer connect to the server. 

I have tried uninstalling, clearing data and cache and restarting all devices. Also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the server.

The server looks ok but when I try to login, it hangs after using 'Connect'. In the connect website it says that that pin was verified correctly but then when clicking 'Next' on the FireTV it just hangs.

There is a Java error saying something about illegal state that flashes up before the login screen.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

thanks

Hi.  Is this on your local network?

Can you try entering the server address manually?  What happens then?

Can you connect from a web browser on a machine other than the one with the server?

Ifflanb

Hi. It does work from my Android phone app and from other browsers. Seems to just be the Gire TV app and Nvidia Shiels app. This started happening after cloning my OS from o e SSD to a new one. Also note that when I go to choose a server now I did get 2 choices rather than one with the same name. Feels like its holding onto an old server. I have deleted the older one but still no joy. Feels like somewhere it still thinks there are 2 servers configured with the same host name.

That error would indicate that something is interfering with the response from the server.  Do you have a proxy or other advanced network configuration.

Ifflanb

Hi. No I dont. Not sure that error would necessarily be caused by that. Also it works on my android phone which is using wifi on the local network so unless it's a wired ethernet issue but that's unlikely. It worked before cloning my SSD since which there have been no network changes.

Edited by Ifflanb

Ifflanb

If I do a complete uninstall of the server software, and then reinstall,the clients present 2 servers to choose from to connect to which I icates that either the server or the client gas held on to information about the old server. Other slightly odd thing that maybe related is that when I go to reinstall the server software, I get asked to create a new account (or so it seems) rather than logging into an existing one.

Ifflanb

The exception message also backs up my theory of there being some leftover data related to multiple servers. The exception basically means that something is expecting there to be an array (a list of something) but it only received a string.

E.g. somewhere something perhaps is expecting a list of servers but is only getting one.

I am a c# programmer so have a little knowledge in this area. Problem is how to clear everything and start from scratch to re-install.

The exception message also backs up my theory of there being some leftover data related to multiple servers. The exception basically means that something is expecting there to be an array (a list of something) but it only received a string.

E.g. somewhere something perhaps is expecting a list of servers but is only getting one.

That's not how the system is designed.  Even if there were only one server, there would still be an array (with one item in it).

The error indicates that the json parser received invalid or unexpected content.  This would pretty much only happen with either something in the middle mucking with the response or, possibly, an incompatibility between server and app.

What are the version numbers of both your server and your app?

Also, on that screen you showed, there is a button to "Send Logs".  Please do that after creating this error and then tell me exactly what time you did.

Thanks.

Ifflanb

Hi. I have just sent the logs at 8.42 a.m NZ time.

My server is version 4.1.1.0

FireTV version is 1.7.23a

I have tried the beta server version too but that doesnt work either.

Ifflanb

Also just tried the FireTV on wifi rather than wires ethernet as my phones android version works fine over wifi but that didnt make a difference. Again, seems strange that if it's a network issue, why would my phone work. I'm guessing that there is a difference between the android and android TV versions.

I have tried the beta server version too but that doesnt work either.

You didn't install the beta server and then go back and install the release one over top of it did you?

The fact the serializer is spitting out the error at "line 1 column 1" makes me think we're getting an empty string back or something weird like that.

No proxy or anything is in play here?

Also, do all your users happen to be hidden from the login screen?

Ok yes it looks like you did in fact go back and forth between the beta and stable releases. Why did you do that?

You'll need to either go back to the beta, or use the plugin catalog to install compatible versions of every single one of these plugins:

2019-06-25 11:13:52.777 Info App: File C:\Users\Ben\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\plugins\AudioDb.dll 
2019-06-25 11:13:52.813 Info App: File C:\Users\Ben\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\plugins\Emby.Dlna.dll 
2019-06-25 11:13:52.860 Info App: File C:\Users\Ben\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\plugins\Emby.PortMapper.dll
2019-06-25 11:13:52.880 Info App: File C:\Users\Ben\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\plugins\Emby.Server.CinemaMode.dll
2019-06-25 11:13:52.900 Info App: File C:\Users\Ben\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\plugins\Fanart.dll
2019-06-25 11:13:52.920 Info App: File C:\Users\Ben\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\plugins\MovieDb.dll 
2019-06-25 11:13:52.943 Info App: File C:\Users\Ben\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\plugins\MusicBrainz.dll
2019-06-25 11:13:52.962 Info App: File C:\Users\Ben\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\plugins\NfoMetadata.dll 
2019-06-25 11:13:52.980 Info App: File C:\Users\Ben\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\plugins\OMDb.dll 
2019-06-25 11:13:52.999 Info App: File C:\Users\Ben\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\plugins\OpenSubtitles.dll 
2019-06-25 11:13:53.018 Info App: File C:\Users\Ben\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\plugins\StudioImages.dll 
2019-06-25 11:13:53.035 Info App: File C:\Users\Ben\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\plugins\Tvdb.dll

When you roll the server backwards you end up getting stuck with newer, incompatible versions of plugins. The server does not do anything to help you with this, so you have to handle it manually.

Ifflanb

Ok so I completely uninstalled the server and client. I checked the boxes for uninstalling the plugins etc as well. Then checked to make sure that the plugins that you mentioned weren't there and of course they were not. Then I installed the latest stable non beta version. I also installed the client and restarted etc but it still gives the same error and doesnt dign in. I dont think this is anything to do with plugins as it was failing long before I installed the bets version. I have just sent another log after that last exception occurred (around 6.40 NZ time).

Yea I don't think it's related to the plugins either, I just wanted to get them situated so that we could rule them out.

Do you have another device you can test with for comparison, such as a mobile device? Thanks.

Ifflanb

As previously mentioned the emby android app works fine on my Galaxy Note 8. Not sure if that is a different version to the android TV app that isnt working.

Is your server setup for external access?

if so, can you PM me the IP address and port?  You don't even need to create a user for me as the problem is occurring before any user login.

Thanks.

Ifflanb

Hi. Sorry but that isnt setup. I tried to turn it on and forward the port in my router but it's not working atm.

Alright so it turns out that you do have all users hidden from login screens.  That really shouldn't be a problem and, in fact, I just tested the app against your server and I did not get the json error you are getting.  I just get a single row of buttons for entering a user manually, logging in with Connect, etc.

I'm not sure what is garbling your response but, as a test, can you try adding a user and allowing them to be shown on the login screen just to see if that makes a difference?

Thanks.

Ifflanb

Sorry looks like my reply didnt save. I managed to fix the problem but unsure how. I had slow internet speeds as well and was advised to run adwclear and mini toolbox. One of those 2 both fixed my internet speed drastically and got emby working. Guessing at some sort of virus. Thanks for your help.