Adding Parental Controls to Channels in Guide Data Settings

bitteronthefruit

bitteronthefruit

It would be great if there was a way in the emby dashboard settings to assign a 4-digit pin code for parental controls. Then that code could be assigned to specific channels. Then if anybody in the library (using the apps) tries to access those channels they are promoted for a password. You can choose what channels to add and what not to, in the guide data where you map the channels. Just give a box to click like (add parental control) and it would assign the pin request to THAT channel.

Unless this already exists?

This same code could also exist on shows or movies you assign the controls to.

Hi.  Our parental controls are designed around our user system.  You can give a rating to your channels and they will only show up for users that are allowed to view that rating or below.

The only potential issue in the case of channels may be that some situations may cause this rating to be overwritten.

Parental controls

• 3 months later...

Hi.  Our parental controls are designed around our user system.  You can give a rating to your channels and they will only show up for users that are allowed to view that rating or below.

The only potential issue in the case of channels may be that some situations may cause this rating to be overwritten.

Parental controls

Can you explain how the TV Guides work regarding parental controls? In my "Kids" account all the channels show up and appear to be accessible but a lot of guide data is missing?

Can you explain how the TV Guides work regarding parental controls? In my "Kids" account all the channels show up and appear to be accessible but a lot of guide data is missing?

Did you give your channels a rating using the metadata editor?

No I've not done that yet.

I would have assumed the parental rating on the channel would determine if the channel could be loaded?

Instead are the shown programmes in the guide ones that have been rated at Gb-U whereas the gaps in the guide have different ratings?

Would giving a channel a rating override programme ratings in the guide data?

As I say, not really sure how it's all meant to work?

A channel can have different programs of different ratings at different times.  Emby will respect these ratings and not show these programs but, if you want the whole channel hidden, then you need to give the channel itself a rating above the limit you set.

Does that make sense?

A channel can have different programs of different ratings at different times.  Emby will respect these ratings and not show these programs but, if you want the whole channel hidden, then you need to give the channel itself a rating above the limit you set.

Does that make sense?

Hi, tested this out and it works exactly as you say. So in regards to the Guide ratings, there is no way to override them?

For example if I wanted a channel to show all guide listings in the "Kid" profile?

No, there is no practical way to override the ratings of live TV guide programs. (you could edit them every day but I don't consider that practical)

• 1 year later...
mike3821

I’m looking at this now for my kids.

so I’ve rated channels, and it shows only those shows in the guide. Works great.

However, under the Programs section of live tv when browsing it shows movies and shows playing that are clearly rated above my settings and they can tune to those channels?

mike3821
3 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, try refreshing the guide data now that you've done that.

No difference, but do I need to rate every single channel or just the ones I want set as G?

as of right now I rated a few kid channels and only those show in the guide. However, I see everything under programs and able to tune to those channels from there.

I am on the latest server build FYI.

Hi, I just did a quick test and this is working for me.  Did you make sure to click Live TV Channels under the section to block items with no rating info like this?
image.png.51fa66722d1b22be3aaa84baa1fe73ae.png

mike3821
1 minute ago, cayars said:

Hi, I just did a quick test and this is working for me.  Did you make sure to click Live TV Channels under the section to block items with no rating info like this?
image.png.51fa66722d1b22be3aaa84baa1fe73ae.png

Yes.

mike3821

Disregard, no difference.

I have it set to 14a and seem to see movies rated R.

Edited by mike3821

No problem, let us know how you make out.
Don't forget you also have an option of using TAGS vs ratings if that might be easier. I'm never sure how to "rate" a channel so I just use a TAG like "HideChild" or something like that instead.  This way I only need to edit channels I don't want shown.  You could also do HideChild12, HideChild16 etc if you have multiple aged children and want to give them different channels.

1 minute ago, mike3821 said:

To add do I need to set the ratings for every channel?

Yes if using rating otherwise they won't show.  Alternately you can do what I mentioned above with TAGS.  Which is easier depends on the number of channels you need to edit.

mike3821
1 minute ago, cayars said:

No problem, let us know how you make out.
Don't forget you also have an option of using TAGS vs ratings if that might be easier. I'm never sure how to "rate" a channel so I just use a TAG like "HideChild" or something like that instead.  This way I only need to edit channels I don't want shown.  You could also do HideChild12, HideChild16 etc if you have multiple aged children and want to give them different channels.

Yes if using rating otherwise they won't show.  Alternately you can do what I mentioned above with TAGS.  Which is easier depends on the number of channels you need to edit.

Lots more to tag if I go that route, but do these tags apply to movies automatically to?

Sorry I am trying to wrap my head around this.

- Tag all channels with a tag name

- Block if a tag exists

Will parental controls still apply to movies ?

1610D257-B6E8-4B86-8118-3B881BE24CAD.png

83466CF0-B860-4DF3-8E24-359A2817D695.png

Using either ratings or TAGS will apply EVERYWHERE so it depends on your needs.

Do you want to filter for example PG-13 everywhere?  If so ratings are for you.

Keep in mind you can use both ratings and tags.  When my kids were younger I'd use ratings but then also follow up some things with tags. My daughter would freek at certain things like clowns or her arch nemesis ET (cute little alien) so if any movies with clown show up or any ET like creature I could tag those specific show/movies so she wouldn't see them. So ratings did the bulk of the filtering then 10 or so tags on specific media did the rest.

mike3821
Just now, cayars said:

Using either ratings or TAGS will apply EVERYWHERE so it depends on your needs.

Do you want to filter for example PG-13 everywhere?  If so ratings are for you.

Keep in mind you can use both ratings and tags.  When my kids were younger I'd use ratings but then also follow up some things with tags. My daughter would freek at certain things like clowns or her arch nemesis ET (cute little alien) so if any movies with clown show up or any ET like creature I could tag those specific show/movies so she wouldn't see them. So ratings did the bulk of the filtering then 10 or so tags on specific media did the rest.

Okay that makes sense but my current settings still show content under the live tv programs section for all channels no matter the content. And you can tune to it.

See below. These channels have no parental settings but shouldn’t my setting block stuff with no parental ratings? Why isn’t this working? Beta version of the server?

68664498-FB4E-4018-B689-F3EA338B7C75.png

Have you done a guide refresh since installing 4.6?
If not please do so.

If that doesn't fix you up I'd be happy to do a quick remote session with you before things get too busy this morning.  Send me a PM and we can do that quickly.

mike3821
10 minutes ago, cayars said:

Have you done a guide refresh since installing 4.6?
If not please do so.

If that doesn't fix you up I'd be happy to do a quick remote session with you before things get too busy this morning.  Send me a PM and we can do that quickly.

Yes, I have done the refresh a few times.

OK did a remote session with @mike3821and see a small issue that needs fixing which I'm reporting now.

mike3821

Thanks again for your help this morning.

I'm impressed with the support. This by far exceeds the competitors!

• Thanks 1