Constant Loading

tc250

I'm trying to play a 4K movie but it keeps going "Loading" every 10-15 seconds.  Anyway to fix this?  I'm using a Roku TV.  

BAlGaInTl

I'm trying to play a 4K movie but it keeps going "Loading" every 10-15 seconds.  Anyway to fix this?  I'm using a Roku TV.  

Likely, it is your server trying to transcode.  It takes a lot of power/hardware to make that happen with 4K if your device/connection can't support direct playing of the content.

If you want more help, you should probably take a look at this thread and follow the directions to post log files:

How to Report a Problem

Hi.  Try disabling the subtitles.  Does it play okay then?

Your server is not powerful enough to transcode that item and burn in subs.  If you need subtitles, you can obtain external text ones that should perform much better.

Please let us know if this helps.

Thanks.

Correct, here are some options for you that can help you play this media more smoothly:

• Turn off the subtitles as Ebr suggested
  • Use an Emby app that can play PGS subtitles without transcoding, such as Emby Theater, android, or iOS
  • Obtain external subtitles instead, our subtitle download feature can help with this.
  • Use our media conversion feature to convert the media ahead of time to a more streaming friendly format

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

Turning off the subtitles did not help :(

How do you use your media conversion feature?

Edited by tc250

Turning off the subtitles did not help :(

How do you use your media conversion feature?

Can you please attach a new log file? I would like to confirm that you did in fact turn off the subtitles. This video is 4K HEVC, it's possible that even with subtitles off you may just not have the horsepower for it.

To learn how to use the media conversion feature, please check out the announcement for it:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-423-emby-server-34-released/

A video like this may take a bit of time to convert, so just be aware that it's something you would do ahead of time, prior to playing it.

That is the main server log file. I would need the ffmpeg transcoding log file. Thanks.

It appears you still have subtitles enabled. Are you sure you turned them off? How did you do that?

After I select which movie I want to watch, it brings me to the menu screen to play, and it has the 3 options-
Video - 4K HEVC
Audio - English True HD7.1(Default)
Subtitle - English (PGSSUB)

I just selected the Subtitle option, and changed it to "Off", then pressed "Play", and it played it without subtitles, but still had the constant loading.

Edited by tc250

Ok so you probably just supplied the ffmpeg log from before you switched off the subtitles. After you did that, another one would have been generated.

Can you try instead turning off the subtitles prior to playback? There is subtitle selection right on the video detail screen. Thanks.

I'm not sure what you mean by that.  Isn't the "video detail screen" the screen I was referring to in my previous post?  I don't know any other way to turn off the subtitles.

Ok then most likely, your system can't transcode the content fast enough even with subtitles turned off. So that brings you back to the options i mentioned earlier. Another thing to consider is that if you have a graphics card that supports hardware transcoding, that feature is included with Emby Premiere.

Yes, if you go to the server dashboard, then the Transcoding configuration section. There is a setting to enable hardware acceleration.

Change that to Advanced (without saving). When you set it to Advanced, it will show you what hardware decoding and encoding features the server was able to detect.

Alright, thanks.  Do you know roughly how long it would take to transcode like a 15 gb 4k movie?  Like an hour? Or a full day?

This is just an estimate, but you're getting 14 fps in your first transcode log, and the video is 24 fps. That's why it's not fast enough to be playable.

So using that to roughly calculate, if you're transcoding at about half the original framerate, then it could take 2X as long as the running time of the movie. In your second log you were getting about 16 fps, so slightly better. You're probably looking at something like 1.5X-2X the running time.

Keeping in mind this is 4K 10-bit HEVC, so this is a challenging example. You may have other videos in your library that will perform much better. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.