play music from download if it exists

DerrickM

DerrickM

I hope one day Emby can play music from downloads if a download exists for that song (especially when I only downloaded the songs from within the playlist and don't have all the songs from that album downloaded).

So if i am in the playlist view and the download button is ticked (highlighted blue) because i have downloaded that playlist, I would like it to play from the downloaded file.

That way when I drive through a dead-zone my music is not interrupted.

• Like 5

darryl.langton

Ooh yes, this would be excellent. It would be a step closer to the useful Google Play Music-esque behaviour of caching / auto downloading a song to the mobile device when it's played so that mobile data isn't used again the next time the song is played remotely.

neik

Nice idea, one question though:

What would happen if the downloaded file has lower quality than the original one I could stream (assume enough available bandwith)?

We could always make an in-app setting, but usually on a mobile device most are not really going to care.

• Like 1

DerrickM

Well, if the downloaded one has a lower quality, I would just assume you are okay with listening at a lower quality since you downloaded it that way...

Alternatively, (not sure its possible) only use the downloaded version if there isn't available network.

But id prefer it to always use the download if available because sometimes network is available but not good enough to listen at the original quality anyways. Id rather listen at 128kbps then 320 with occasional skipping.

For me, it isn't an issue because my downloads are set to original quality, so the files are the same.

darryl.langton

Yes, I agree with all of that. My experience is with Google Play Music - and the downloaded or cached version is the one that always plays, even if it's lower quality. If you don't like that, you delete it manually and it caches again according to your settings. As Luke says - I don't care or really even notice.

darkassassin07

I would vote for a selector box similar to:

Prefer local content:

- always

- only on mobile data

- only on mobile data or slow wifi

- never

Possibly with an extra check box to always use local content when quality matches.

Edited by darkassassin07

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...