saitoh183
Go to solution Solved by im85288,

saitoh183

Will there be a way to switch user profiles? I know we can use XBMC to switch profiles but its very unstable and crashes half the time (main reason i turned to MB3). For now i see we can only set one profile to load with the addon but will this change in future releases?

• Like 1

xnappo

So much of the customization for the skins is stored with the XBMC profile, it just doesn't seem to make sense to do something with just the MB3 part...

xnappo

saitoh183

So much of the customization for the skins is stored with the XBMC profile, it just doesn't seem to make sense to do something with just the MB3 part...

xnappo

I agree that there is alot but the profile portion of XBMC is underdevelop because almost no one uses it. MB3 offers this feature and it is alot more solid compared to XBMC. I dont know if they did some tweaking to it in Gotham but in Frodo its really not reliable. For people that do use this feature in MB3, its a bit of a shame we have to resort to using XBMC profiles if other family members want to access there watchlist and favorite settings.

xnappo

So right now you can go in and change the username - we could certainly make that easier to do - but I have the feeling you are asking for something else?

xnappo

saitoh183

So right now you can go in and change the username - we could certainly make that easier to do - but I have the feeling you are asking for something else?

xnappo

No that is what im asking...a quick access to change MB3 user so we can use our other watchlist and favorites...A good example of what i mean is MB3 for MediaPortal. When you start it, it asked which profile you want to use and you can simply switch profiles by going in the submenu. Currently in XBMB3C we need to navigate all the way to the settings and type out the username everytime we want to switch...not very WAF...if you know what i mean :)

xnappo

Hmm - well again - the problem is that all the 'Video Node' shortcuts are going to be hard-coded to the user ID they were created with..  

@ - have you played with this much lately?

xnappo

saitoh183

The problem i have always had with XBMC profiles was the random crashing during the load of the profile which would force a close of xbmc and then once you would restart it would be back on the last profile. This would happen whether i switch using the menu in xbmc, creating a shortcut or mapping the command to my remote. Sometime it would work well for weeks and then all of a sudden just start crashing back to back for days...causing eminence Wife aggro :). Posting the issue on the xbmc forum just yield the typical response of its sort of works nbut we wont put time into it since people dont use it much...

xnappo

Have you tested it with Gotham?  I played with it a bit and it seems to work...

xnappo

saitoh183

Have you tested it with Gotham?  I played with it a bit and it seems to work...

xnappo

no i havent yet...I would have to check it out...but the profile problem was way to random. as i said it could work for weeks and then out of the blue decide that it will fail all the time. I didnt see any change logs saying that they touched this feature in anyway. so i assume it was ported as is from Frodo....i guess time will tell. But imo i think you guys should still look into incorporating a quick way to change users since it is one of the many great features offered by MB3. 

Edited by saitoh183

xnappo

It is easy to implement the user selection. It is hard to fix the menu problem. Please try with Gotham XBMC profiles before we invest time in this as from what I can tell it works just fine.

xnappo

saitoh183

so ii gave gotham a try.I installed only XBMB3C and Xperience 1080 and created a new profile. First switch worked...second switch...application stop responding...i will give it a few more tries. This is a fresh install on a machine that has never had xbmc on it.

• Solution
im85288

so ii gave gotham a try.I installed only XBMB3C and Xperience 1080 and created a new profile. First switch worked...second switch...application stop responding...i will give it a few more tries. This is a fresh install on a machine that has never had xbmc on it.

It might be worth trying Eminence instead. I stopped maintaining the xperience1080++ skin a while back so not all the latest changes are in there. 

• Like 1

saitoh183

It might be worth trying Eminence instead. I stopped maintaining the xperience1080++ skin a while back so not all the latest changes are in there. 

Oh...i will check that out...is it like a better version of X ++?

Edited by saitoh183

• 2 weeks later...
saitoh183

Hmm - well again - the problem is that all the 'Video Node' shortcuts are going to be hard-coded to the user ID they were created with..  

@ - have you played with this much lately?

xnappo

I did some testing:

- Loaded profile A in XBMB3C settings

- Created a XBMC Favorite of Mb3 Favorite Show

- Loaded profile B in XBMB3C

- Opened saved favorite of profile A

Result:

I see Favorite Shows of profile A with profile A Watched/Unwatched number. But when i click on the show, it changes the watched and unwatched info according to profile B watched/unwatched info. If i return back to the show level i will still see profile A info. 

I dont know if this could help in figuring out a solution to allowing us to use different MB3 profiles under the XBMC Master profile instead of having to create a second XBMC profile to accommodate a second MB3 profile. 

Edited by saitoh183

• 2 months later...
saitoh183

It is easy to implement the user selection. It is hard to fix the menu problem. Please try with Gotham XBMC profiles before we invest time in this as from what I can tell it works just fine.

xnappo

@@xnappo & @

So i have been using XBMBC3 for a while now with profile switching in XBMC gotham (latest) and im still getting the random crashes when switching profiles. With fresh install of xbmc with only the the required plugins for the skin (MQ5 and Eminence), It will randomly crash or freeze when trying to switch profiles. This is most likely just a xbmc problem (there is no evidence on XBMC forum that profile system has been touched since Eden) and not XBMC3. Would you guys be willing to look into supporting MB3 profiles still ? I know Mediaportal plugin for MB3 does support this but i really dont want to use Mediaportal as my client because i like the support of this plugin and the lack of views in Mediaportal.

Thank

Edited by saitoh183