[Playback error] Emby 4.1.1.0 - stream freezes every 25-30 seconds.

Hello,

I would like to report a playback issue on my emby installation.

My installation is Emby 4.1.1.0 on FreeNAS-11.2-U4.1. I have 16GB of ram and a processor Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3.

I do not have a lot of things running on the machine and CPU runs at 0% load.

However, when I try to play some media files the stream plays for about 30 seconds then freezes. 
Actually when I hit play for the first time the buffer fills for about 30 seconds then stops and when the time indicator reaches the end of the buffer the stream freezes, then the buffer refreshes for another 30 seconds and once again I freeze when I reach the end. And so on and so on...

I'm using the web interface on google chrome to access emby. No error is displayed on the interface.

The problem does not appear with every media. Only some episodes from a particular tv show. Also I have gigabit connection from server to client so speed issues are not the problem here.

I will attach the logs I have recovered from emby.

If you can help me it is really appreciated! 

Thank you anyway for having read my topic!

DrCampy

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-remux-cbe9772f-f0d2-4491-b688-c980d99fa8a3_1.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-d0de498c-f623-432a-be6f-c0b78af3cfb4_1.txt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Luke,
Sorry but I chose another solution for streaming my media and have uninstalled Emby so I cannot tell you if it works with Emby 4.2.
Can you close the topic ? 

kelly.clubb

I seem to have this issue on a brand new install of emby.  I was on beta before the reinstall of my server OS.  nothing else has changed except that I'm back on stable on a new clean install of windows server.

This issue is sadly game breaking and I really really need it to be fixed.  The problem is that every 30 seconds to 60 seconds I have like a 2 second pause.  It's like it's not buffering ahead and doesn't start sending a buffer until it has ran out thus causing a delay in stream.  I don't see this on small files, but MP4 and MKV so far on my new install have had the issue.  Playback from a network share at full resolution does not have the same issue.

https://nc1.kcnetworks.biz/index.php/s/G2Y33NFxeEETJAL - examples + logs

What I visually see happen is that it buffers ahead a chunk (like 1 min) and then it stops, and as the video plays it just doesn't buffer any more until I've ran though the current buffer. This is much much worse that my previous stable install before it went beta.

Is there any ways (as I discussed in another features post) to just buffer the whole thing to the device playing so I don't have to deal with this.  I asked for this in a feature request and it was promptly ignored. (I don't want to download and then delete media every time I want to watch something). If I wanted that I could just browse to the network share and watch it there.  I just like how emby sorts it.

Also my media streaming seems to be waaaaay off.  The pictures I posted should not stream anywhere close to 60mbps...  The video has like 5k video + whatever the audio quality.  I'm on a lan and I have gigabit internet aside from that if I wasn't.

Edited by kelly.clubb

I seem to have this issue on a brand new install of emby.  I was on beta before the reinstall of my server OS.  nothing else has changed except that I'm back on stable on a new clean install of windows server.

This issue is sadly game breaking and I really really need it to be fixed.  The problem is that every 30 seconds to 60 seconds I have like a 2 second pause.  It's like it's not buffering ahead and doesn't start sending a buffer until it has ran out thus causing a delay in stream.  I don't see this on small files, but MP4 and MKV so far on my new install have had the issue.  Playback from a network share at full resolution does not have the same issue.

https://nc1.kcnetworks.biz/index.php/s/G2Y33NFxeEETJAL - examples + logs

What I visually see happen is that it buffers ahead a chunk (like 1 min) and then it stops, and as the video plays it just doesn't buffer any more until I've ran though the current buffer. This is much much worse that my previous stable install before it went beta.

Is there any ways (as I discussed in another features post) to just buffer the whole thing to the device playing so I don't have to deal with this.  I asked for this in a feature request and it was promptly ignored. (I don't want to download and then delete media every time I want to watch something). If I wanted that I could just browse to the network share and watch it there.  I just like how emby sorts it.

Also my media streaming seems to be waaaaay off.  The pictures I posted should not stream anywhere close to 60mbps...  The video has like 5k video + whatever the audio quality.  I'm on a lan and I have gigabit internet aside from that if I wasn't.

Hi, there's a whole folder of log files here. can you please discuss an example and make sure to reference the log files that were modified during the time of that example? Or just attach the files here. Thanks.

@@kelly.clubb

I asked for this in a feature request and it was promptly ignored. 

You were not ignored. Feature requests are never ignored. We actively monitor them for community feedback.

kelly.clubb

Well, I didn't modify any log files, that was from a couple days of running the emby server. I have done some more troubleshooting outside of tossing the logs, and it seems to be chrome browser specific. I can play on chrome and the issue happens from multiple computers.  If I play from Firefox it plays "better".  You can sort of see it happen but it's almost not noticeable.

As for logs, I try to be complete.  I tossed the folder of them in so you would have all that you needed.  Emby Theater works fine on windows as well. The issue lies somewhere with chrome.  No issue on android app either.

the 2  pictures in that link were images that were the file and showing 60mbps which I wasn't sure if it was linked or not.

Edited by kelly.clubb

Well, I didn't modify any log files, that was from a couple days of running the emby server. I have done some more troubleshooting outside of tossing the logs, and it seems to be chrome browser specific. I can play on chrome and the issue happens from multiple computers.  If I play from Firefox it plays "better".  You can sort of see it happen but it's almost not noticeable.

As for logs, I try to be complete.  I tossed the folder of them in so you would have all that you needed.  Emby Theater works fine on windows as well. The issue lies somewhere with chrome.  No issue on android app either.

the 2  pictures in that link were images that were the file and showing 60mbps which I wasn't sure if it was linked or not.

Can you provide a sample video for testing? I am not seeing any problems in Chrome on mulitple devices. Thanks.