4k playback actually 4k?

TheRealDeria

That just means that it is working as we thought.  The video is 4K and the UI is 1080.

I have this issue also (Sony X900F/XF9005, android tv). So, bottom line is that:

- Based on this good discussion, my 4k videos are shown with the 4k resolution even though the display mode says 1080/60, right?

Additionally, should I enable the refresh rate switching to get the 24 refresh rate for 24 material or is there another way to achieve it?

Thank you for the help. I am new with Emby (and my tv) and I am very pleased with the setup and getting the Emby premiere as soon as this is resolved.

Br,

Ruato

I have this issue also (Sony X900F/XF9005, android tv). So, bottom line is that:

- Based on this good discussion, my 4k videos are shown with the 4k resolution even though the display mode says 1080/60, right?

Correct.

Additionally, should I enable the refresh rate switching to get the 24 refresh rate for 24 material or is there another way to achieve it?

Yes, if you want to switch to 24fps then you enable that option.  Whether or not you need to do that is up to your own eyes (and the capabilities of your TV).

Thank you for the help. I am new with Emby (and my tv) and I am very pleased with the setup and getting the Emby premiere as soon as this is resolved.

As soon as what is resolved?

• Like 1

As soon as what is resolved?

I got an impression that the refresh switching might not work with the Emby app for my TV. Or did I misunderstand it? In any case, I have not seen any major problems with the 24 fps material.

Thank you for the very fast response! This excellent support is the most important reason that I leaned towards Emby instead of Plex. Getting my lifetime Premiere tonight.

Ah, okay, yes.  The switching functionality would have to be tested with your specific TV.  Some devices allow it and some don't but it is up to the device to make this available.

Ah, okay, yes.  The switching functionality would have to be tested with your specific TV.  Some devices allow it and some don't but it is up to the device to make this available.

Is there a way to test it easily? Anyway, I have the same TV than TheRealDeria, that is Sony X900F.

pünktchen

There's no need to test something. Sony Android TV's don't allow refreshrate switching with any app. That's a fact!

• Like 1

There's no need to test something. Sony Android TV's don't allow refreshrate switching with any app. That's a fact!

OK, thank you for the info. Luckily, I do not have sensitive eyes..

TheRealDeria

This is a very subjective conversation, but I would say the most important things in terms of enjoying your playback experience are:

1) HDR

then

2) 4K

then

3) 24fps

Other people will have different opinions, undoubtedly.  It's the internet, after all.

Some people are more sensitive than others to seeing 24fps played back on a 60fps display, and some TV's have fetures related to "improving" the presentation in situations like this.  Your best bet is to turn absolutely all of those "helpful" picture adjustments off, set your sharpness to whatever level/setting on your TV that is required to just leave the image untouched, then (after seeing whether or not the results are acceptable to you) selectively enable MotionFlow and CineMotion and see if you like what it does to the playback quality.  As long as you don't go so far that you trigger the "soap opera effect" (where everything looks TOO smooth) these features can provide some benefit.

When I originally started this topic, the single biggest improvement I saw was when I turned everything off and eliminated sharpness adjustments.  That allowed me to actually see the source material without any modification, at which point I was then able to make very minor adjustments.

Finally, a word of advice.  Base your decisions on what looks good to you rather than someone else's advice about how things "should" be.  The people who tell you that you aren't seeing what the director intended are absolutely right, but the director isn't paying for your TV so if your eyes are happy with what you see then call it a win.  I routinely raise the center channel volume so make dialogue easier to hear -- I'm technically not hearing what the director intended me to hear.  On the plus side, though, I'm bloody hearing the movie so whatever.  :)

Emby is doing 4K + HDR, which for me is good enough.  I would -like- true 24fps support, but if the Sony TV doesn't allow it, the slight extra judder in panning shots is acceptable to me.  The most important thing to me is that the video doesn't pause for buffering and HDR/4K is there -- everything else is gravy, to be honest.  This feature in particular is already present in Emby, though, so if someday Sony modifies their system to allow refresh rate switching then it should just start working without any changes.

• Like 1

This is a very subjective conversation, but I would say the most important things in terms of enjoying your playback experience are:

1) HDR

then

2) 4K

then

3) 24fps

Thank you for the reply! I have disabled most of the enhancements features (as instructed by rtings.com) and the picture is simply beautiful with native 4k material. Upscaling from 1080p is also very good. Too bad, that Sony is not so open and they have not implemented all the APIs (e.g. refresh change) but I can live with that. I also have an issue with audio passthrough to my AV amplifier via HDMI ARC. That is, DTS-HD MA passthrough is currently broken (DTS was fixed in a firmware update). Now waiting for a new update to fix that issue also.

Regarding Emby, I like it so much more than plex and the support here in so good.

• 1 year later...
theozgun

OK, I was wondering this for a while and did some testing tonight. I've downloaded this video and played it on Emby:

• Philips 55PUS7502/12
  • Android TV 8.0
  • Emby Server 4.5.1.0
  • Emby App 1.8.28g

Although display mode shows 10080p/50, with  direct stream, the video is rendered without any scaling. Native resolution for sure. (Attachment: 1)

Notice how stats window is rendered at 1080p (see the text is softened) but the text on the video is still crisp. (Attachment: 2)

VLC player and YouTube itself has the same results, the video is indeed rendered at 4k res.

Edit: Forum has resampled my images, but you should still be able to observe lines of 1px height.

1pxHorizontal.jpg

text.jpg

nerdStats.jpg

Edited by theozgun
forum downscaled attachments

• 3 weeks later...
theozgun
On 10/2/2020 at 5:15 PM, ebr said:

When we can detect this is an actual TV we hide that display mode because it is useless.  Can you please send a log from the app from this device so I can discover the ID for it?

Thanks.

On 10/6/2020 at 8:05 PM, Luke said:

@theozgun are you able to do that? Thanks.

I just did, sorry I was very busy with work for a while.