New Plugin - Philips Hue Mood Lighting

BillOatman
Go to solution Solved by Prydwyn,

maegibbons

So @@chef

Only some of my lights are hue controlled.

I also have wifi smart switches of one and other types.

Now ALL of them can be controlled by the Alexa app and Alexa herself.

Is it possible to interface directly with the Alexa back end to send commands to all the devices?

Does amazon expose that functionality?

Krs

Mark

chef

Well the scroll bar sort of goes under the save dialog.

If I grab the bar underneath the save dialog I can get to it.

Personally, I think it would be best to have the save button at the end of all the options and on the same page so it scolls as well.

Krs

Mark

Will do!

chef

So @@chef

Only some of my lights are hue controlled.

I also have wifi smart switches of one and other types.

Now ALL of them can be controlled by the Alexa app and Alexa herself.

Is it possible to interface directly with the Alexa back end to send commands to all the devices?

Does amazon expose that functionality?

Krs

Mark

It does through a smart home skill. I'm not sure how smart home skill are built exactly.

maegibbons

It does through a smart home skill. I'm not sure how smart home skill are built exactly.

So you don't fancy creating an Alexa Smart Home Skill plugin? :-)

Krs

Mark

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

chef

So you don't fancy creating an Alexa Smart Home Skill plugin? :-)

Krs

Mark

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

I haven't tried that yet. I have a couple Alexa endpoints on my github, but they're not smarthome.

The thing is, Alexa sends the requests to the service, which you control. I'm not sure you can request data from Amazon.

I might be wrong, I'll definitely check it out.

• 4 weeks later...
Bambu Utila

Hi,

I recently started playing around with this plugin. 

For the most part it works fantastic, but it seems that it doesn't work after 12am for me.

I have it set so nothing happens before 7pm, as long as i start the movie before 12am it works, if i start it after that time it doesn't seem to activate.

Is this the plugin telling me i should just go to bed? ;)

Bambu Utila

It is set to 12:00 am because it is the next day. However I can change that to 4:00am if you think it would be a better fit.

ok, so you are sayin i should just go to bed at 12am  :D

Maybe an option to enter the end time like you do with the start time? Or if that's too much work just putting it on 4am would be better.

in the settings of the plugin, under Schedule time, it already says that it works between the time above and 4am?

Thanks for replying so quickly

chef

You are right, I'll see what's up, make a fix and upload it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Lawrage

Just wanted to say a big thanks for this plugin.

Really enjoying it. Keep up the good work.

Edited by Lawrage

chef

Just wanted to say a big thanks for this plugin.

Really enjoying it. Keep up the good work.

Thanks so much for your feed back @@Lawrage.

• 4 weeks later...
muppet4k

Hi,

thanks for the Plugins.

But i have some problems, in my phillips hue i configured some rooms and zones. But cant see only the scenes at all.

How can i figure out that?

Thanks for your help

Oliver

1161611065_Bildschirmfoto2020-06-12um12_29_21.thumb.png.515cb000e0ead6e14813b62e196865d4.png

Prydwyn

Just installed the plugin, and looking forward to trying it out tonight (it's a bit bright here in the UK at the moment!)

However, just in configuring the plugin ready to use, there seems to be an omission - there isn't any where to set which room is being controlled. I live in an apartment, and have 4 rooms defined: Lounge (3 hue colour bulbs), Hall&Kitchen (2 hue white bulbs), Bedroom 1 (1 hue colour) and Bedroom 2 (1 hue colour).

Usually if I pause a film it is because either a) I want to get something to eat or drink, or b) go to the toilet. So, I am settled in the lounge, about to watch a movie on Emby/Fire Stick. All the other lights in the apartment are off, except the lounge which is on 'Normal Lights'. I start playing a movie and it should trigger my 'Movie Night' scene. I pause the movie (I want some popcorn), and it should trigger the 'Dimmed scene'. But it would be good if I could configure it to also turn on the Kitchen and Hallway lights so I can see what i am getting, and then when I resume the movie turn off the Hallway and Kitchen lights and put the lounge back into the 'Movie Night' scene.

Is this possible?

Many thanks,

John

Edited by Prydwyn
typo

• Solution
Prydwyn

Great! The plug in works exactly as it should. The lights changed exactly as I set them to. 👍

So is it possible to set up rooms as I described in my previous post? Or is it something that can be implemented? 

chef

I'll have to look into that. When I write the plugin I wrote it without a hue hub and based on scenes because the Samsung smart things playing and the vera plugin ran in scenes. 

I'll read through the hue docs again to see. 😃

muppet4k
12 minutes ago, chef said:

I'll have to look into that. When I write the plugin I wrote it without a hue hub and based on scenes because the Samsung smart things playing and the vera plugin ran in scenes. 

I'll read through the hue docs again to see. 😃

That would be so nice :-)

In the hue App you can create rooms and Zones and add the lights there.

If you need help for testing, just let me know.

I really apreaciate it

oh one question, is the dropdown list with the lights scenes updated automatic?

Edited by muppet4k
question
  • Like 1

Prydwyn

If it helps, I can explain further my setup.

I originally had only simple dimable white Hue bulbs. They were controlled only via the Amazon Echo Studio (with built in zigbee hub). Alexa allows the grouping of rooms, which is how my current setup is configured. The Echo Studio is in the lounge controlling 3 lights, and there is a Dot in each of the 2 bedrooms, and the hallway (which also controls the kitchen, hence that grouping).

I started replacing the the lounge and bedroom lights with the colour bulbs a couple of weeks ago, and therefore had to add the Hue Bridge in order to have the full functionality. I have kept the room groupings so I can still voice control the lights based on which Echo I am speaking to.

Being able to set multiple room groups depending on the Emby play-state as I have suggested above would be really useful! I hope it is something you can do without too much extra work (and what you have done so far is really appreciated!)

Prydwyn

As an addition... an alternative scenario...

Take for example the default Hue bridge scene 'Dimmed' This is an option in each room that I have defined.

I have set up the profile for Emby on my Amazon Fire Stick, and as I have said above, it works perfectly.

I now want to watch a film on my PC (or tablet) in my bedroom. There is not a way to identify a scene that is available in multiple rooms (ie - 'Lounge - Dimmed' or 'Bedroom 1 - Dimmed')

My flatmate has gone to bed - I want to watch something on Emby on my PC, and I would like to be able to define 'Bedroom 2' scenes for the profile for my PC, without inadvertently turning on lights elsewhere in the apartment.

BillOatman
18 hours ago, Prydwyn said:

Great! The plug in works exactly as it should. The lights changed exactly as I set them to. 👍

So is it possible to set up rooms as I described in my previous post? Or is it something that can be implemented? 

The plugin only changes scenes, you can set whatever lights/rooms you want to configure in those scenes.  What I do is I have a scene named "Movie Start Bedroom" and one called "Movie Start Family Room" for example that control the lights in that room, and set each scene to the correct Emby Instance. So  "Movie Start Bedroom" gets mapped to my bedroom Emby (yeah I'm not super creative with names :) ).  I think that will accomplish what you want.

In terms of this plugin creating scenes, rooms, etc I personally find that a waste of time.  There are existing apps dedicated to doing that already. It's not like this is something that will be changing often once you get them configured.  That's why I didn't add that back when I was working on the plugin.  But @chef is the boss now :)

muppet4k

Yes it reads all scenes, but the problem is the drop down list, not very useful now because you dont see which room oder zone it is 🙂

So Phillips Hue is working only in rooms or zones. Scenes are behind the rooms or zones to colour the lamp as you want and save it as a scene.

But turning on/off lights with App, Alexa or something is working only over the rooms/zones.

Also would be interesting if the dropdownlist is update it self  when something is new?

chef
55 minutes ago, BillOatman said:

The plugin only changes scenes, you can set whatever lights/rooms you want to configure in those scenes.  What I do is I have a scene named "Movie Start Bedroom" and one called "Movie Start Family Room" for example that control the lights in that room, and set each scene to the correct Emby Instance. So  "Movie Start Bedroom" gets mapped to my bedroom Emby (yeah I'm not super creative with names :) ).  I think that will accomplish what you want.

In terms of this plugin creating scenes, rooms, etc I personally find that a waste of time.  There are existing apps dedicated to doing that already. It's not like this is something that will be changing often once you get them configured.  That's why I didn't add that back when I was working on the plugin.  But @chef is the boss now :)

It would be a very indepth project. The project, so far, is on GitHub, so if there was someone who wanted to do it, that would be welcome. 

It's just that there is a lot of configuration code and layout for room implementation, (switching between js and c# ends up being the most time consuming, even with snippets). 

@BillOatman I'm remembering the json dictionary weirdness... unique scene IDs as keys...  Which was a headache and a half for this API...LOL😳 why they do that is beyond me...

Would we scrap the scene config and focus on room IDs to trigger groups? 🤔 

I feel like I'd be making some empty promises, if I agreed to it.

Prydwyn

Well that app is doing what it is meant to do - so a big thanks for that! 

And I appreciate that whilst what is being asked might be a major headache for you, but it would really simplyfy using the plugin for the rest of us, as grouping lights into rooms and zones is really how the Hue Bridge works. 

And then there is the other feature I would love to see of being able to define multiple scenes with an action eg: 'Start Movie - Lounge Lights Movie Night', but if I pause then 'Lounge Lights Dimmed + Hallway Dimmed', and then on resuming 'Lounge Lights Movie Night + Hallway Off'. 

I really don't know if this is easier than getting the romm info out of the Hue Bridge. 

muppet4k

so only problem is that many scenes are twice or more in the list and you dont see to which room or zone it belongs

1911700797_Bildschirmfoto2020-06-15um19_59_13.png.a0373caf6706fb52629d2e76befd81d0.png

Is the list updatet automatically?