Required bandwidth for 1000 Users

deganza

The server software can scale to large numbers. It's really a question of what the server machine and network can handle.

Mklitgaard

Trust me Luke i have a server 64 core Epyc with 2 TB memory, my network is very fine aswell, its not the problem, the problem is Emby changed

from Clients to devices, You simply got to greedy, i am aware you need to earn money,

But people whom paid before can have all devices they wants, i payed premiere, that will suits maximum 5 people, not more

you have a 1000 Device option people can pay for, but no online price, instead people need to take contact to ask,

my guess is not many ask for this 1000 Device account,

Also i guess not many understand the clients part from the devices.

You need to make a unlimited clients price again or you will loose people,

dont get me wrong people wanna pay, but they are not stupid.

The clients vs devices just killed everything here

ty.

Edited by Mklitgaard
  • Like 1

Mklitgaard

How can anybody push this to the limit, when its limited by Emby.

Edited by Mklitgaard

pir8radio

How can anybody push this to the limit, when there are limited.

I'm just saying (maybe language barrier) you were using client and device differently in your message..  I kind of get what you are saying, but the licenses are for unique devices.   so if you buy a 1000 person device license and each client uses 2 devices, you can support 500 clients..    But emby works with people on licenses..     Last I checked browsers were license free, meaning you can run as many web browser sessions as you want without consuming your licenses.   That may have changed I don't know...     But the other dude wants to run an IPTV service using emby, and as @@Luke says emby can scale reasonably well, but not for that situation..  What makes emby great is its transcoding and if your users are all transcoding emby has it limitations.    If all direct playing/streaming then emby can support all kinds of concurrent clients, I agree with that.     

I just had an issue where 1 user couldn't stream a 4k with subtitles the other day..  It's a know issue, but the point is If I was selling my emby service that would be an angry customer.     Before emby can be used as a Netflix like service, emby has to grow a little more, and they are heading in the right direction but a service like that is not the main use for emby so its going slow. Things like a separate database capability so multiple servers can access the same database server to support proper load balancing, I'm not a fan of the centralized device license check done at every start of the client either, ffmpeg works but I feel like if they did something from scratch it could be better, lots of little things, but like I said they are still developing... 

All of this aside 99% of the people wanting to use emby as a service, would not be doing it legally anyway...   If they had the money to support all of the media licensing costs they would have developed their own system from scratch, like Netflix. The last 1% are probably churches, schools, clubs, etc which emby can support today.  Emby does not support illegal setups, so there is no real rush to support these kind of setups.

I'm just an emby user and I do not represent or speak for the emby team.

Edited by pir8radio

Mklitgaard

I partly agree except the part with devices most people would use more than two devices, you would never turn up with 500 clients in a 1000 Devices. 

If you did that people would start complainting as they use more and more devices but cannot login,

Have a nice day,

ps. my browsers are listed under devices.

Edited by Mklitgaard

pir8radio

ps. my browsers are listed under devices.

Yes but not counted. 

Happy2Play

Devices are not directly reflected against premiere device limit.  Just like if a device is not used in x days it is removed from your premiere device limit (not the dashboard devices list).  So just because a user may have 5 devices does not necessarily mean they will use 5 device slots unless they are using Emby on every device daily and that is truly unlikely.

Mklitgaard

I do understand all unique devices are counted, i have a mobile thats is one unique device, i have one laptop thats two unique devices, and i have a samsung smart tv that is tree unique devices, then i have a stationary pc that is four unique devices, used daily, now if i have clients, wouldnt it be fair to assume they also used more than 1 unique devices, most people have mobile and pc, many have a smart tv, thats why 1000 Devices sound a lot more than it actually is, becaurse fact is that the more devices usedf the less clients you can have. another thing is that i do not use emby and 4k with clients, only for myself as its to consuming the upload for 4k would be a bottleneck if i had lets say 25 clients  "125 Devices" running using 4k they would easily use upload between 450-500 Mbs many clients do not even have devices for 4k content and does not understand why they cannot run it. Last but not less, i am not complainting about Emby, i love what the Emby team do i love Emby and yes offcourse they need to earn money on there product, nobody work for free, but the point here is that Emby is not build for 1000 clients there are better programs for that, and for IPTV aswell. With Emby you gets Max 300 Clients with a 1000 Devices payment a Month. so you guys gets the point.

I would love a lifetime 400 or 500 devices, i would buy that today if it was possible, but a 1000 devices a Month i wouldnt even consider,

i like to pay cash, and not every Month, thats my opinion, proably not gonna happend, but i think a lot would agree.

Server with 100 clients no matter devices with IPTV should be possible on Emby, that would be more than enough for me.

Ty Have a nice day.

Edited by Mklitgaard