Recently the Roku app has stopped working correctly for my family. Whenever we try to play a video, it either never finishes retrieving, or after a few seconds of play it start loading again, and does not ever finish. Videos play fine from a laptop.
After some troubleshooting I have discovered that everything works properly when connecting directly to emby, but fails as above when using an nginx reverse proxy. I've been using the reverse proxy ever sice i started using emby, so it's new behavior that it does not work now.
As the roku sits in retrieving, I see this repeatedly in the nginx logs:
192.168.6.59 - - [15/Jun/2019:23:52:10 -0600] "GET /emby/Sessions?deviceId=75e55a13-af5d-51a2-88de-19f691b4b6f7 HTTP/1.1" 200 1618 "-" "Roku/DVP-9.10 (519.10E04111A)" 192.168.6.59 - - [15/Jun/2019:23:52:12 -0600] "GET /emby/videos/109728/hls1/main/1.ts?DeviceId=75e55a13-af5d-51a2-88de-19f691b4b6f7&MediaSourceId=6527a5714674becb83efd40b33208476&PlaySessionId=ad317233652b4344a750d808e026e4cb&api_key=b21ddb589d2a41ffaba61fad7ea51476&VideoCodec=h264,mpeg1video,mpeg2video&AudioCodec=aac,mp2,mp3,flac,opus,vorbis,lpcm&VideoBitrate=109808000&AudioBitrate=192000&MaxFramerate=61&MaxWidth=1280&MaxHeight=720&AudioStreamIndex=1&TranscodingMaxAudioChannels=2&SegmentContainer=ts&SegmentLength=3&MinSegments=1&BreakOnNonKeyFrames=True&h264-maxrefframes=16&h264-videobitdepth=8&h264-profile=high,main,baseline,constrainedbaseline&h264-level=41&aac-audiochannels=2&flac-audiochannels=2&lpcm-audiochannels=2&mp3-audiochannels=2&mp2-audiochannels=2&vorbis-audiochannels=2&opus-audiochannels=2&TranscodeReasons=AudioCodecNotSupported HTTP/1.1" 206 146234 "-" "Roku/DVP-9.10 (519.10E04111A)"
I'm honestly not sure what to try next. there are no errors in the nginx error log, so i don't know how it could be breaking things.