How is DVR disk space supposed to be managed?

sfatula

sfatula

My volume filled up, I had expected emby to remove some old recordings. I end up with say Americas Got Talent.ts and Americas Got Talent - 1.ts (yes with episodes in the names just simplifying). However, only one plays from the client, the other does not show anywhere except info or ls command of course

So, what seems to happen is emby gets an out of space error, stops the recording, deleted some stuff (transcoding temp files), and schedules the recording to begin again with the - 1 in the filename. So I see a number of bugs here:

1. Shouldn't old recordings be deleted to free up space or is there 100% up to me to manually do?

2. If it is going to restart the recording with the - 1 in the filename (a great idea), shouldn't it then show and play that in a client? So, there would be 2 files, some of the show, and the rest of the show with 1 missing minute. Otherwise, why restart the recording? I have to manually do something with the file to be able to see and play it.

3. This then cascades into other issues such as backups failing, etc.

If your thought is limit the number of recordings per show, I do. No idea how you can possibly predict though how many shows you can keep, and, keeping all old shows even if they are discontinued means you will always eventually run out of space as you record new shows that come out.

I guess I need to tidy things up. Lots of last summer shows sitting out there as they are never deleted.

Hi, Emby does not just delete media files without reason. Can you imagine the uproar we'd see over that?

sfatula

Conversely, can you imagine the uproar when you lose dozens of recordings without warning, you are remote (out of the country) and everyone is mad at you? You'd have to agree that is not good either right? I guess this is the same as the thread about delete watched recordings then.

So, please do something about the bug then when you (Emby server) restart the recording 1 minute later, and, there is no way to play that second recording. The clients should have logic to play them.

• Like 1

denz

There definitely needs improvements in this area some kind of warning that it is out of space similar how does wmc. In wmc you see exclamation point on the tv guide that alerts you that something is not right.

Yes I definitely agree we need to do better at informing you about it. I don't think we should take it upon ourselves to preemptively delete media files though.

sfatula

Yes I definitely agree we need to do better at informing you about it. I don't think we should take it upon ourselves to preemptively delete media files though.

Disagree. I guess reference the threads about deleting after watched. Other dvr solutions seem to have no issue deleting watched recordings, for example, mythtv. Not sure why you believe that. They simply allow you to specify deletable or not, no big deal.

But PLEASE fix the bug with not being able to play both files when emby server restarts recording. That is a bug.

Attached is a sample.

post-348227-0-70656600-1560717440_thumb.png

I think options for deleting based on certain criteria are a good idea, but we don't currently have those. So based on current features, the server should not be automatically deleting your media files.

sfatula

I think options for deleting based on certain criteria are a good idea, but we don't currently have those. So based on current features, the server should not be automatically deleting your media files.

Still no response on the bug with playing the files I noted.....

Yea that is a tricky one that will need to be looked at. Currently you'd have to use the version selection to pick which one, but that's obviously not intuitive as these are not separate versions. they are multi-part except that our tv libraries don't support multi-part episodes yet. So based on current features, we need to just prevent them from getting grouped as multi-version.

• Like 1

sfatula

Yea that is a tricky one that will need to be looked at. Currently you'd have to use the version selection to pick which one, but that's obviously not intuitive as these are not separate versions. they are multi-part except that our tv libraries don't support multi-part episodes yet. So based on current features, we need to just prevent them from getting grouped as multi-version.

I don''t see a version picker on tvos, am I missing it or is it just not there yet?

samuelqwe

I don''t see a version picker on tvos, am I missing it or is it just not there yet?

It is there, but just hidden under the subtitle and audio track selection button.