PiP for Firefox?

riffy

daedalus

As soon as Firefox supports it, then you'll have it.

nope

the button to activate it shows up, but is unclickable, it only pauses/plays the video

Right but if you read this thread, Firefox's Pip support is only experimental. Once that changes then we'll take a look at it.

daedalus

Right but if you read this thread, Firefox's Pip support is only experimental. Once that changes then we'll take a look at it.

it's part of the latest release v71

and its not that it wouldn't work, as said you just can't click, cause emby catches all of them over the video

Edited by daedalus
  • Like 2

Yeah... can't call it experimental any more.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/71.0/releasenotes/

Firefox Release

December 3, 2019

Version 71.0, first offered to Release channel users on December 3, 2019

We'd like to extend a special thank you to all of the new Mozillians who contributed to this release of Firefox.

New
  • Improvements to Lockwise, our integrated password manager:

• Firefox now recognizes subdomains and will autofill domain logins from Lockwise
    • Integrated breach alerts from Firefox Monitor are now available to users with screen readers
  • More information about Enhanced Tracking Protection in action:

• Notifications when Firefox blocks cryptominers
    • A running tally of blocked trackers in the protection panel accessed by clicking the address bar shield
  • Picture-in-picture video comes to Firefox for Windows: Select the blue icon from the right edge of a video to pop open a floating window so you can keep watching while working in other tabs. Learn how the feature works.

• Native MP3 decoding on Windows, Linux, and macOS

• Like 2

it's part of the latest release v71

and its not that it wouldn't work, as said you just can't click, cause emby catches all of them over the video

Indeed, previously Firefox PIP worked in Emby when I looked at it in Firefox 69 beta, but now since it is released in Firefox 71 stable release, PIP doesn't work anymore with Emby and it only pauses the content played.

Anything to do with Emby latest OSD changes, that it doesn't work anymore @@Luke ?

I have firefox 72 beta which i use for testing purposes and the blue button is working just fine for me. It's pretty much exactly the same as in Chrome, except in Chrome the button is part of our OSD.

I have firefox 72 beta which i use for testing purposes and the blue button is working just fine for me. It's pretty much exactly the same as in Chrome, except in Chrome the button is part of our OSD.

It's "worked" off & on threw the versions for a long time now. In 70 & 71 it usually seems that the PiP button is behind the Emby Web interface so it just pauses/plays the video like you're clicking on the Emby Web interface to pause/play. I tried the portable version of beta 72 & it seems to work the few times I tried it. Why wouldn't you use the live version for testing? As you've pointed out before things in the beta can change before it's released as live.

I like to see what's coming ahead of time even if we're not officially supporting it yet. I can try the live one. But the fact that you are all mentioning various issues with 71 and it's worked perfectly for me on the first couple tries with 72 suggests they have made some recent bug fixes.

With the way they've done it, it's strictly a browser feature. There's no developer API so it's handled entirely by the browser.

I like to see what's coming ahead of time even if we're not officially supporting it yet. I can try the live one. But the fact that you are all mentioning various issues with 71 and it's worked perfectly for me on the first couple tries with 72 suggests they have made some recent bug fixes.

With the way they've done it, it's strictly a browser feature. There's no developer API so it's handled entirely by the browser.

I don't know what to tell you. I use the PiP feature all over the web every single day for most of the year now & I only have a problem with it on Emby.

• Like 1

There's lots of different ways to play video though. Other sites are able to play with much simpler techniques by streaming pre-made mp4's from cdn's. These simple scenarios are probably what got the lion's share of Firefox's pip testing. But we're trying to stream video files from your home computer, and our UI has complexities such as configurable themes and other features that add their own set of variables.

Don't know, but I've noticed it works on pretty much everything, even gifs & popup ads, just not Emby. I can't even get the right click PiP option to show up in 71 on Emby. I use PiP on almost everything I watch so I can browse Reddit or play games or do what ever at the same time. Get an email, click PiP button & read it... while still watching what ever. I've used it without issue on Plex before too. I literally haven't seen another place it doesn't work since it was first introduced in beta.

• Like 1