PiP for Firefox?

riffy

Youtube has it now for firefox so... thought they did add support for it awhile ago.

They have it within their own website, which is not the same as the browser Pip features that actually move it out of the browser window.

So will that work as soon as they do it, for the Emby web player? 

In theory, but we won't know until it's available.

riffy

Ok. I kinda wondered how youtube was doing it.

Thanks for the info you two. Less than a month away.... Seriously miss that from chrome.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

riffy

FYI: If you enable picture-in-picture on the latest beta.... does nothing in the Emby Web app. :-(

• 1 month later...
riffy

Any news on this?

It's supported now, but not on by default. Works on everything but Emby from what I see.

Probably because when you right click you're not hitting the video element, you're hitting other elements on the page. That's not something i can easily change right now. The way we've supported Pip is by detecting support for the feature so that we can put our own button inside the video player. When firefox supports this api:

https://googlechrome.github.io/samples/picture-in-picture/

Then it will work.

riffy

So... sounds like this isn't going to be changd any time soon. Or am I just being negative?

OnTopReplica is my workaround currently to get a PiP view with Emby. For anyone else looking that doesn't use the all mighty Chrome. :-)

I can't rework the whole layout right now just because of this one thing. if the problem existed in all browsers supporting Pip that would be different.

I bet you they will support the full api by the time they release the feature without hiding it behind a config flag. The fact that they are currently doing that is an indication that it's not completed for the mass market anyway.

Well Firefox still doesn't technically support it. Anytime something is hidden behind a config flag it means it's not ready yet, even if you think for your usage it works perfectly.

riffy

I understand. I was just hoping it was an easy fix. I'll continue to use a workaround or join the masses & let google control everything. :-p

Senna

Works on everything but Emby from what I see.

No problems here in Firefox 69.0b10, playing Emby content PIP.

Search for "media.videocontrols.picture-in-picture" in About:config and set below items to true.

1. media.videocontrols.picture-in-picture.enabled
  2. media.videocontrols.picture-in-picture.video-toggle.always-show
  3. media.videocontrols.picture-in-picture.video-toggle.enabled
  4. media.videocontrols.picture-in-picture.video-toggle.flyout-enabled

4. is not necessary it seems, to get the PIP overlay button/flyout, but couldn't find a difference yet, in setting 4. to true or false.

riffy

Using the current build of 68 not the beta 69.

Have to enable them same flags in 68 too.

I can only get the flyout to appear after moving the video position a couple times tho.

Edited by riffy

riffy

Got me wondering since it's working for you & disabled all the CSS styles. The blue flyout does apear with them disabled with out fiddling around with the position bar.

Scratch that... still randomly disapears or never shows. It's really random.

Edited by riffy

Senna

Got me wondering since it's working for you

PIP is still an experimental Firefox feature you know and I'm on 69beta channel, compared to you on 68 :rolleyes:

I noticed they disabled it at a stage in beta 69 branch and had to enable PIP back myself, so it seems it's still not ready.