Transcoding issue on Raspberry PI

Sock

Hi @@Luke, yes, just double checked and still seeing this with the latest Beta unfortunately (4.3.0.18). I basically have had to stop using emby with the Fire stick because of this

Luckily I twigged that the Xbox one app doesn't have the issue, as it rarely has to transcode

• 2 months later...

Hi @@Luke, I haven't tried again - I got a new TV recently and have been using the LG app, which works great. I gave it one last try before I disconnected the fire TV (I believe it was the stable 4.3.0.x I tried with) but had no luck. Thanks anyway

Ok there's lots of changes in the 4.4 beta so if you ever have a chance to try with that it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

• 5 weeks later...
pgalbavy

This may be irrelevant but the RPi can be very hard on, and sensitive to, the microSD card the OS is normally hosted on. Have you checked dmesg for any errors there and/or can you try another SD card with the OS on it?

Edit: Even if the transcode temp directory is in RAM!

Edit Edit: Another though; Is /tmp actually filling up a a RAM fs ? 

Edited by pgalbavy

@@adriano_scorpions, what I would suggest trying is, mount your SMB network share to a local path using the mounting tools in the operating system. Then add the local path to your Emby library, rather than adding the SMB path directly. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

Hi, I've been struggling with this issue for a few months, films that need transcoding (even if its just audio or new container) will start jumping back 1-2s every 10s, just over an hour into the film.

- happened when streaming to an apple tv, as well as to a browser

- also got lots of ffmpeg logs from the time when the stuttering started

- The logs would look normal until the stuttering, when it would show transcoding restarting `ProcessRun 'StreamTranscode 1ed06f' Execute:....` every few seconds. These would be followed by `ProcessRun 'StreamTranscode 1ed06f' Process exited with code 139`, but I also saw that same error further up, before the stuttering started, so not sure if it's related.

- It would persist after restarting emby or rebooting the Pi.

- Tried moving /tmp off the SD card into HDD with no effect

- Also thought it was just too much work for the Pi, but it wasn't running hot, and real video transcoding of short videos works fine.

However, I just downloaded the latest beta and it has been working so far, I'll report back if it starts up again. Or let me know if you'd like any more info.

I'm curious if there was a specific fix in there or was it just from updating ffmpeg?