Netgear Router Port Forwarding - Port Already In Use

notla49285

notla49285

I'm having problems trying to forward a port in my router. At the moment I have a port open to forward to my current server, and a domain set up to get to my IP and port, and all is working well.

I've just bought a new Synology NAS and want to test running Emby server directly from the NAS, so need to be running two servers in parallel, therefore need to forward another port in my router to the NAS. Easy right?

No. I've tried several ports that are never used by anything, up into the 50,000's (creating custom services within Genie), and also some preset ones in the router, but no matter which one I pick, I get an error saying the port is already in use. But it isn't!!! I've done the Googles and the only answer that seems to come back is to switch off UPNP and reboot the router, but UPNP is not enabled!! I've rebooted the server several times anyway and it's made no difference. The only other answer I could find (which made me lol a little) was to reboot the router and try to forward the port within the first 30 seconds of booting up, but this hasn't worked either.

Can anybody suggest anything else to try? At the moment there is only one port that is currently forwarded in my router (and it works fine), all others are blocked (which is the default level 1 setting which subsequent settings override), no other ports have been assigned or even referenced anywhere (to my knowledge). It's a Netgear D6300 if that helps.

Edited by notla49285

notla49285

When you installed the new Emby server on the NAS, is automatic port mapping enabled?

Emby isn't even installed at the moment and I still can't do it

Edited by notla49285

notla49285

So there's a bit of a development to this - it's a false error message. The error is real, I can't add the port forwarding, but it's not because the port is being used by something else, it's because either the NAS is rejecting it or the router won't forward to the NAS IP. I've just done exactly the same thing with the same port but to my existing Emby server and it went through with no problems.

So thanks to whichever moronic software developer at Netgear put that message in for every time it fails, that's wasted nearly two days. Still don't have a resolution yet.

mastrmind11

So there's a bit of a development to this - it's a false error message. The error is real, I can't add the port forwarding, but it's not because the port is being used by something else, it's because either the NAS is rejecting it or the router won't forward to the NAS IP. I've just done exactly the same thing with the same port but to my existing Emby server and it went through with no problems.

So thanks to whichever moronic software developer at Netgear put that message in for every time it fails, that's wasted nearly two days. Still don't have a resolution yet.

grab yourself a router that doesn't suck, or, put a fw on it that doesn't suck.   check out ddwrt for your router or grab a unifi usg.  no turning back.

notla49285

grab yourself a router that doesn't suck, or, put a fw on it that doesn't suck.   check out ddwrt for your router or grab a unifi usg.  no turning back.

Ok this is a lot of work that I can't do at the moment, I don't have another router and can't take this one down to try and install another firmware. Guess I'll just have to forget the NAS server until I can.

I can't help thinking it's an issue with the NAS and not the router (though that error message is still irritating), as I can forward to another PC on the network with the same port with no problems at all. I thought that maybe the NAS was blocking all ports, so I added the port I'm trying to use into Emby's port settings hoping that it would open a TCP listener and allow traffic through, but that hasn't worked either.

Edit: DD-WRT is incompatible with my router (Netgear D6300), so I guess I'm screwed.

Edited by notla49285

notla49285

It looks like my router may be about to be kicked out, I'm looking at a Synology RT2600ac at the moment, I figure buying from the same manufacturer should make it easier, and I've heard the OS and GUI is very similar to the NAS. Need to save up some more pennies, I've just spent £500 on the NAS and £200 on extra hard drives for it...

Guest asrequested
ProperlyFormattedDataFile

It looks like my router may be about to be kicked out, I'm looking at a Synology RT2600ac at the moment, I figure buying from the same manufacturer should make it easier, and I've heard the OS and GUI is very similar to the NAS. Need to save up some more pennies, I've just spent £500 on the NAS and £200 on extra hard drives for it...

I use a Synology router with Emby.  No issues.  They're good routers, solid software and the RT2600ac has excellent range.  You can't go wrong with the Ubiquiti gear mentioned downthread either though.  Ubiquiti is pretty much the stock recommendation you're going to get on any tech forum because they're rock solid and if you're so inclined you can do nearly anything with it.  Synology will be a bit more plug and play, but a bit more limiting.

• 2 weeks later...
notla49285

Just as a follow-up, I went with the Synology RT2600ac in the end. Very happy with the router, had a few issues with reverse proxies but it's running now. The RT2600ac has very good reporting tools and (from my dumb user perspective at least) good security once the right packages were set up and installed. It blows the Netgear completely out of the water, shame really but meh.

• Like 1