Playback of specific titles stops at specific times

jeflatt

jeflatt

@softworkz 

I have only noticed this happening in the last two weeks or so. I've checked this against the Emby Chrome web app, and this issue is only happening to me on the Roku app. It happens in the released Emby Roku app, as well as the Emby beta app. Certain movies will suddenly stop playback at a specific, repeatable time during the movie. This isn't all movies, but about 1 in 3 or 1 in 4. They always stop playback at the same time in the movie, but that time is different for each movie. Some movies will play for an hour or so and stop. Another will play for 5 minutes and stop. Another will play for 2 minutes and stop. Another will stop immediately. There is no error message when this happens; it's just as if I had hit the stop button. It will even give me the option to resume playback if the movie has played long enough; although resuming playback doesn't work as the movie never plays past that specific time in the title. 

I have attached a server log which should capture this event 4 times.

1) Played Guardians of the Galaxy: playback stopped immediately without even showing the first frame.

2) Played Guardians of the Galaxy again: same result

3) Played From Paris With Love: playback stopped at 0:02:29

4) Played From Paris With Love again: playback stopped at 0:02:29

My computer is running Windows 7. I have a Roku Ultra. I have attached the server log, and hardware detection log. No other logs were generated during these events. 

My movies are stored on an external RAID 5 storage system (40TB), connected to my computer (Emby server) via USB 3.0. Both the computer and Roku are connected to my home network with LAN connections, not WiFi.

embyserver.txt

hardware_detection-63695974147.txt

firedfly

I'm seeing the same issues on several of my Rokus.  Some files will fail to play, some will play for a short time and then stop and some will play successfully.

I'm running Emby v4.1.1.0 Docker on top of Unraid (6.7.1).  I have 3 rokus, two of which have this issue.  All Roku's are running Emby v3.0.155.

• Roku Premiere+ connected to 4k TV - will fail to play some titles.
  • Roku Ultra connected to 4k TV - will fail to play some titles
  • Roku Premiere+ connected to 1080p TV - does not have issues

I've specifically looked at playing Zootopia from a BluRay rip using MakeMKV.  On the Roku's connected to the 4k TVs, the file attempts to direct play and then stops without beginning playback.  On the Roku connected to the 1080p tv, the file is direct streamed and works properly.

I'm attaching an embyserver.txt log from trying to play from the Roku Premiere+ connected to the 4k TV.  The roku shows the file buffering, but never begins playback.

embyserver.txt

Edited by firedfly

If you disable hardware acceleration does it still have this problem?

I cannot reproduce this issue. I am on Windows 10.

This is either specific to Docker/*nix or hardware acceleration. Or a botched Roku firmware update...

firedfly

If you disable hardware acceleration does it still have this problem?

I cannot reproduce this issue. I am on Windows 10.

This is either specific to Docker/*nix or hardware acceleration. Or a botched Roku firmware update...

I disabled hardware acceleration under the Emby transcoding settings and the issue persists.  I also moved the working roku (connected to an older, 1080p tv) to one of the newer 4k tvs and that roku also has the issue when connected to one of the 4k tvs (tries to direct play instead of direct stream and the movie never starts playing).

I'll try to setup another instance of emby running on Windows 10 to see if that resolves the issue.  I did not start noticing this issue with my current Emby configuration until a few weeks ago.

@@jeflatt - Was your issue ever resolved?

firedfly

@@speechles

I installed Emby server on my Windows 10 system and I'm having the same issues.  I disabled hardware acceleration on the Windows 10 system, configured the roku to connect to Windows 10 and when playing Zootopia, the movie never begins playing.  As with the docker installation, the movie attempts to direct play.  The roku shows the buffering screen and after a few seconds drops back to the movie overview screen.  The logs show playback was stopped.

jeflatt

I had already disabled the hardware acceleration due to another issue, so all of the issues I had originally detailed were with it disabled. The issue was the same with or without hardware acceleration. I only have the one TV, and it is a 1080p. Some of the movies that showed this issue were blu-ray rips, and some were DVD rips. All of them were created using Makemkv. However, all were ripped before seeing this issue and all titles had previously played without incidence. Just pointing out that this is a new issue with Roku, and not an issue with a new file or new hardware. 

jeflatt

Just found another title in my library that is having this issue. The Incredible Hulk, blu-ray rip. Stops after 00:01:19. 

jeflatt

Just found another title in my library that is having this issue. The Incredible Hulk, blu-ray rip. Stops after 00:01:19. 

Forgot to attach the log file. 

EmbyServer.txt

jeflatt

Hi there, we're looking into this. Thanks for reporting.

@@Luke

Any progress on this? I'm coming across more and more titles with this issue. It's getting very frustrating that I can't watch my movies. 

You can invite me @speechles to your server through an invite. Then tell me how to navigate through your server via PM to find the problem items. If I can reproduce the problem and see the root cause believe me we can immediately address the problem. I have never been able to recreate this problem. 

Just Pm me once you send the invite with the path to the items that have the problem and I can start to deduce the issue. Thanks. :)

Also.. if you "refresh all metadata" for that item in the Emby web app does it fix the problem on the Roku after that? It might think the movie ends before it does. The Roku is told the length of the file in advance before playback. That would trigger it to believe the file ended sooner than it really did. If these files never had problems before and somehow this issue is just new it isn't possible that refresh metadata would fix it.

Edited by speechles

@@speechles

Okay, I feel real dumb. Where is the option to send an invite?

You can just create a user and PM him credentials or you can create a user and then enter "speechles" into the Emby Connect Name field.

• 2 weeks later...
Kmart0985

Every tv episode I watch stops playing 2-3 minutes before each episode ends. Emby has it as “Retrieving” and it never retrieves. If I try to go back into the episode, it is marked as “watched” even though I never got to finish it. I keep fast forwarding to the part it crashed only for it to happen again and again. It only does it with tv shows I downloaded. Help! I’m not tech savvy but this BLOWS.

Every tv episode I watch stops playing 2-3 minutes before each episode ends. Emby has it as “Retrieving” and it never retrieves. If I try to go back into the episode, it is marked as “watched” even though I never got to finish it. I keep fast forwarding to the part it crashed only for it to happen again and again. It only does it with tv shows I downloaded. Help! I’m not tech savvy but this BLOWS.

Hi there, please re-evaluate this again soon with the upcoming 4.2 release of emby server. thanks !

• 3 months later...