Debian, Intel NUC Server, best solution die the HDD storage

Kodi_Newcomer

Kodi_Newcomer

Hello Com,

I have a Intel NUC as an smarthome Server für Openhab and so on. IT runs Debian. So my thinking was to use it to as emby Server, because the nuc had enough power and runs 24/7 and use Low Energy.

So fine for emby and live TV
But i have No space for the hdd's. So what is the best way to add some HDDs ? 5 bay HDD Case ? Other HW ? What is with Standby with those HDDs ? When emby die Not use it die example for record or Media play.

Greets

Edited by Kodi_Newcomer

sephrat

Go with a NAS if you can have it on a wired network with your NUC. You may find other use cases for it apart from Emby (private cloud, easy access to data from your computer, RAID, ...). 

I would personally recommend a Synology if you're looking for an easy and user-friendly solution. Any other NAS can do the job as well.

I have a NUC running an Emby server on Ubuntu. I use a NAS (Synology DS213j) to store my content. Works like a charm. https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/72989-switching-from-nvidia-shield-tv-to-nuc-or-nas/?p=749704 

My main server runs on a nuc8i5 (ubuntu server). My nuc has only a 480GB m.2 nmve drive in it. My main storage is a Synology NAS 4 bays. All my medias are on it. For livetv, my library is also on the NAS. I have 6 tuners and have no issues recordings 6 streams at a time.

I did not tried an USB drive on the nuc though.

Edited by rouq

Kodi_Newcomer

Whats about standby for the hdds, when emby or live tv did not need it, no sheduled records, no media playing from client. Did the Synology turn the hdds into standby or runs the hdds 24/7 ?

BAlGaInTl

Whats about standby for the hdds, when emby or live tv did not need it, no sheduled records, no media playing from client. Did the Synology turn the hdds into standby or runs the hdds 24/7 ?

I agree that a NAS would be the way to go.  They are typically low power. I'm pretty sure that even the simplest Synology devices manage the HDD standby.

How many HDD do you plan to run?

BAlGaInTl

For more than 4 drives, it gets expensive pretty fast.

It's going to depend on your budget.

sephrat

The standby mode is customizable on mine. I think it's pretty standard.

On a side note, don't forget that waking up an HDD too often can prematurely kill it. I got HDDs specifically made to run 24/7 and disabled stand by.

Kodi_Newcomer

Ok, i have found something like this ? Is this good, anyone knows about it ?

https://www.amazon.de/TERRAMASTER-D5-300C-Geh%C3%A4use-Festplattenh%C3%A4use-Diskless/dp/B071S6ZCMM/ref=sr_1_21_sspa?hvadid=155840604476&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9042286&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=9349453306797926760&hvtargid=kwd-44747711974&keywords=synology+4-bay&qid=1560713484&s=gateway&sr=8-21-spons&psc=1

Its a top price for a 5 bay Station. Whats about the energy cost's, when the diskstation and the hdds in it runs 24/7 ? Or is there a spin down for the hdd's when they not in use ? For lower the energy consuming ?

BAlGaInTl

Ok, i have found something like this ? Is this good, anyone knows about it ?

https://www.amazon.de/TERRAMASTER-D5-300C-Geh%C3%A4use-Festplattenh%C3%A4use-Diskless/dp/B071S6ZCMM/ref=sr_1_21_sspa?hvadid=155840604476&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9042286&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=9349453306797926760&hvtargid=kwd-44747711974&keywords=synology+4-bay&qid=1560713484&s=gateway&sr=8-21-spons&psc=1

Its a top price for a 5 bay Station. Whats about the energy cost's, when the diskstation and the hdds in it runs 24/7 ? Or is there a spin down for the hdd's when they not in use ? For lower the energy consuming ?

That's kind of a weird unit.

It looks like it only supports raid 0/1 on the first two bays.  The additional bays are just single disks.  So it's like having 4 different enclosures.  Each disk would be treated independently and have to be mapped separately in Emby.  I don't think that's a great way to manage a large media collection.

You really want something that could do a JBOD setup where the disks are pooled.

Personally, I build my own NAS.  I'm currently using unRaid which only spins up the disks that are required to read the data.  In theory it saves energy over a Raid 5 array where all disks have to spin up to read data.

Kodi_Newcomer

For now i have no Raid, all are single hdd's. Each and every hdd has his one drive letter, so thats not that problem. On emby i have 5 hdd's added.

Or what you mean exactly with pooled @BAIGaInTI

BAlGaInTl

For now i have no Raid, all are single hdd's. Each and every hdd has his one drive letter, so thats not that problem. On emby i have 5 hdd's added.

Or what you mean exactly with pooled @BAIGaInTI

Pooled storage is when multiple hard drives are used, but are seen as a one instance.

So if you had a 10TB, 4TB, and 6TB drive, you could pool those together into a 20TB drive/share.

That being said... if you are fine with organizing your library across separate drives, the unit you linked would be fine I think.