15 replies to this topic

#1 e2zippo OFFLINE  

e2zippo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Local time: 11:55 AM

Posted 12 June 2019 - 05:50 AM

Hey! Enjoying Emby, running premiere now as well!  I know this has been brought up before, but it's really a feature I'm missing. The ability to sort a collection manually.

I created a Marvel collection and there's a specific watch order. I want to be able to drag and drop that order myself. 

That's about the only thing I miss from Plex, in every other way Emby is way better.

Any plans to implement this?

• DerrickM likes this

#2 kesm OFFLINE  

kesm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:57 AM

I don't think it's possible to do this in Plex, 

zsKq5hU.png
Movies are only sorted by year and there is no way to sort them. The only way to do this is to create a playlist, this way you will have the possibility to order items like you want

#3 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 47023 posts
  • Local time: 05:55 AM

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:41 AM

Yes, for a specific playback order, what you want is a playlist instead of a collection.

Please let us know if this helps.

Thanks.

#4 e2zippo OFFLINE  

e2zippo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:42 AM

I can't share a playlist with my users. So it would be great to get a manual sorting option on collections, or be able to share playlists.

Thanks!

#5 MndWrp OFFLINE  

MndWrp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • Local time: 10:55 AM

Posted 12 June 2019 - 11:51 AM

I can't share a playlist with my users. So it would be great to get a manual sorting option on collections, or be able to share playlists.

Thanks!

Isn't there an option to order collections by release date and by sort name?

Maybe use 'sort name' but for each movie add avengers 1, avengers 2, etc in the sort name field.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

#6 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 47023 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 11:54 AM

Maybe use 'sort name' but for each movie add avengers 1, avengers 2, etc in the sort name field.

That will work but would affect sorting of those movies in all contexts which is probably not desired.

#7 e2zippo OFFLINE  

e2zippo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 06:13 AM

Yeah, that's not what I want. So any idea on what would be the best approach here? Be able to share playlists or add manual sorting function to collections would solve this, I'd accept either :)

#8 kesm OFFLINE  

kesm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 07:32 AM

There is already a feature request about sharing playlists : 

https://emby.media/c...her-usersguests

Now we just have to wait until it's implemented :)

#9 Kewjoe OFFLINE  

Kewjoe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 06:45 PM

Collections manual sorting would be really amazing. I'd love to have a "Marvel Cinematic Universe" collection, that puts all the movies in the order Marvel wants us to watch it... Captain America (2011), Captain Marvel (2019), Iron Man (2008), etc...

And that collection would be visible to all users. Rather than creating a playlist and sharing the playlist (which isn't even available either).

• DerrickM likes this

#10 Kewjoe OFFLINE  

Kewjoe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 06:53 PM

Collections manual sorting would be really amazing. I'd love to have a "Marvel Cinematic Universe" collection, that puts all the movies in the order Marvel wants us to watch it... Captain America (2011), Captain Marvel (2019), Iron Man (2008), etc...

And that collection would be visible to all users. Rather than creating a playlist and sharing the playlist (which isn't even available either).

Huh. I think I found a workaround. If you create a playlist and sort it the way you want. Then take that playlist and add it to a collection. I think we got what we want. I just logged into a second account, i see both the collection and the playlist. the collection doesn't show me the list of movies, just allows me to play them in order. The playlist has it in the order i want. Not perfect, but not bad.

edit: bah. not great. other users can modify the list and can even delete it.

Edited by Kewjoe, 29 July 2019 - 06:56 PM.

#11 Gilgamesh_48 OFFLINE  

Gilgamesh_48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 29 July 2019 - 08:48 PM

If you already have a collection to get the order you want all you need do is set it to sort by title and edit the sort title to get the order you want. It is quite simple. I do that for many of my collections to put them in the order I want to watch them in. Star Wars and Hobbit/Lord of the Rings are  just two that I use collections + sort title to get them in the order I want.

There is no need to use playlists to accomplish that simple task.

• playloud likes this

#12 e2zippo OFFLINE  

e2zippo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 03:39 AM

If you already have a collection to get the order you want all you need do is set it to sort by title and edit the sort title to get the order you want. It is quite simple. I do that for many of my collections to put them in the order I want to watch them in. Star Wars and Hobbit/Lord of the Rings are  just two that I use collections + sort title to get them in the order I want.

There is no need to use playlists to accomplish that simple task.

By all means,  please tell me how to sort my Marvel movies according to this list using the sort title field.

https://www.amctheat...rewatch-the-mcu

I'm pretty sure it's not doable.

It would be so much easier to just have drag and drop enabled for collections.

Edited by e2zippo, 30 July 2019 - 03:42 AM.

#13 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 15774 posts
  • Local time: 02:55 AM
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 30 July 2019 - 07:10 AM

As mentioned the issue with using Sort Title can be if you do not use "Group items into collections" then you can cause the items to be in the wrong display order.  But if you do use the group option then you can use the Sort Title to put the Collection items in any order you like (ie 1-100 sort title)

• playloud likes this

#14 Gilgamesh_48 OFFLINE  

Gilgamesh_48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 30 July 2019 - 07:10 AM

By all means,  please tell me how to sort my Marvel movies according to this list using the sort title field.

https://www.amctheat...rewatch-the-mcu

I'm pretty sure it's not doable.

It would be so much easier to just have drag and drop enabled for collections.

It is quite simple, albeit a wee bit tedious:

Edit each movie's meta data make the "Sort Title" field be like "Marvel xx.yy" where "xx" is a number setting to order you want, 01 - 02 - 03 etc, and the "yy" is usually "00" but is there just in case there are movies released that should be viewed in between already ordered movies. be sure to use two digit numbers so that the sort will remain correct even if the number of movies sorted this way gets up to 99. If you think the number will get over 99 then make the field "xxx" like "001" "002" etc.

Of course you must have the collection ordered by "Title."

Note: It is perfectly possible to have exactly the same content in two different collections with one ordered by title and the other by date released.

• playloud likes this

#15 e2zippo OFFLINE  

e2zippo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 09:13 AM

It is quite simple, albeit a wee bit tedious:

Edit each movie's meta data make the "Sort Title" field be like "Marvel xx.yy" where "xx" is a number setting to order you want, 01 - 02 - 03 etc, and the "yy" is usually "00" but is there just in case there are movies released that should be viewed in between already ordered movies. be sure to use two digit numbers so that the sort will remain correct even if the number of movies sorted this way gets up to 99. If you think the number will get over 99 then make the field "xxx" like "001" "002" etc.

Of course you must have the collection ordered by "Title."

Note: It is perfectly possible to have exactly the same content in two different collections with one ordered by title and the other by date released.

Thanks for that, though it is indeed kind of tedious. I would very much like to see drag and drop implemented, but maybe I'll give this a go later.

#16 DerrickM OFFLINE  

DerrickM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Local time: 04:55 AM

Posted 07 September 2019 - 08:32 PM

I'd also love to be able to drag and drop items in collections. Or to be able to create a custom "Display order". Instead of only having 'sort name' and 'release date' id like to create one called "chronological" and have it just save the order to whatever i set it to while dragging and dropping. That way i can go back and change the display order back to 'sort name' or 'release date' without losing my custom display order.

Edited by DerrickM, 07 September 2019 - 08:34 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: collection, sort, order

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users