Maximum time client can be idle

darkassassin07

darkassassin07

Primarily to do with this:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/74442-stopping-idle-chromecasts/&do=findComment&comment=752392

I'd like the ability to set a maximum time that an individual client can stay connected to the server and still be idle.

By this I mean,

- clients that have a stream open, but paused = idle

- clients logged into the web app but not doing anything (like an open tab sitting in the background but not streaming) = idle (any activity at all like scrolling down on the page would reset this one)

I'd like to be able to set say, a half hour timeout. Then if a user starts a stream, pauses it, then walks away; that client will automatically disconnect half an hour later.

Thoughts?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

What does "disconnect" actually mean?

Are you really just looking for an auto-logoff in each app?

darkassassin07

Im mainly looking to have any client that begins streaming a piece of media then just leaves that stream open but paused, have that client automatically end that stream after a certain amount of time idle/paused.

I regularly check the active streams on my server to ensure I'm not interrupting people if I have to make changes or restart things. Having clients sitting paused potentially for hours/days has been a problem a few times. In the case of chromecasts specifically, there isnt an easy way to get it to disconnect once you have figured out its idle. You have to disable the user it's connected as, then remember to re-enable them later.

When it comes to the web app, a user that is logged in (as in, actively has an open tab connected to emby) but idle for long periods of time is potentially a client open on a public machine (/edit: unattended machine). This is the only client I think an auto-logout could be nessesary, but that's just my opinion. I have a couple family members doing a fair amount of traveling this year, Id like to mitigate potential security risks.

Edited by darkassassin07

• 3 years later...
Riddler84

Currently, have the same problem. I have one user who likes to just pause the playback and not even turn his computer off, when he goes to work etc. So he stays connected to the server all day long through his open browser tab. And there is even a weird thing, that my activity log is flooded with activities from this user. Every few minutes, it says that the user has stopped playback. But he hasn't. It's paused the whole day.

Is there anything that can be done to automatically end playback when it's on pause for about an hour or so? It's really annoying. It also prevents automatic server restarts during the night, because there is always an active user connected. But it's just the open browser tab in the background and no active playback.

kikinjo
On 6/12/2019 at 2:55 PM, ebr said:

What does "disconnect" actually mean?

It means disconnect active client session.

6 hours ago, Riddler84 said:

Currently, have the same problem. I have one user who likes to just pause the playback and not even turn his computer off, when he goes to work etc. So he stays connected to the server all day long through his open browser tab. And there is even a weird thing, that my activity log is flooded with activities from this user. Every few minutes, it says that the user has stopped playback. But he hasn't. It's paused the whole day.

Is there anything that can be done to automatically end playback when it's on pause for about an hour or so? It's really annoying. It also prevents automatic server restarts during the night, because there is always an active user connected. But it's just the open browser tab in the background and no active playback.

HI, yes we are working on improving this situation. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
darkassassin07

Odd, hadn't come back up in a search for me. Maybe I missed it.

Anyway, bumping my old thread. This is still a regular issue for me. The only improvement I've seen towards this in three years is the activity log gets spammed less wirh "x has stopped playing y" repeatedly. Clients still sit idle for hours or even days at a time.

Yesterday's access log (taken from the proxy server) has over 3500 lines in it, yet nobody actually streamed anything yesterday. Just one client sat idle the entire day with a stream paused, ignoring commands from the server to end playback.

• 2 weeks later...
warrentc3
On 3/21/2023 at 6:30 AM, Riddler84 said:

it does this on ipads too, if the app is still open and video paused.  every time they unlock the ipad and/or activate app switcher, activity log shows playback stopped. 

• 4 months later...
Crush420

Also have this problem.  I have 1 user that refuses to turn off their device.  Every time I look at my Dashboard they are paused on an active feed.

12 hours ago, Crush420 said:

Also have this problem.  I have 1 user that refuses to turn off their device.  Every time I look at my Dashboard they are paused on an active feed.

Hi, we're taking steps to address this so that in the near future this won't happen anymore. Thanks.

• Like 1