Emby service failing to stay running on Odroid xu4 - Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS

phillrab2009
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

phillrab2009

Hi there!

I'm getting a crash of the Emby service on my Odroid XU4 running Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS. I have the Beta emby-server-deb_4.2.0.15_armhf.deb package of Emby installed. I've actually been seeing a similar crash with the last several packages, but after installing the latest Beta build each time and rebooting proved to be a solution. I've loosely interpretted this to be anytime there's a new version available somehow the server crashes, possibly automatic updates breaking it. I have tried turning automatic updates off however this does not fix it. Only a manual update, and reboot had been fixing it, so I left auto update enabled.

I just since this past weekend found my server offline again (running 4.2.0.14 at the time) and decided it was time to repeat the fix I've run before as described above. This time however after installing the latest package and rebooting the service comes to a stop a couple minutes in after service start. I'm not seeing anything I recognize in the emby server log as a failure. embyserver.txt It just seems to end abruptly. Here's the system log output for the status of the server. Previously with the "out-of-date" issue as I'll refer to it this signal had returned abort. The system status log is now showing "SEGV" which looks suspiciously like a seg fault to me...

I've tried uninstalling the package with dpkg --remove emby-server, followed by reboot, followed by installation of latest build. This vs the inplace install/update as was done initially was my last idea. So far no luck. Still showing the same as the output here. 

~# systemctl status emby-server
● emby-server.service - Emby Server is a personal media server with apps on just about every device.
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/emby-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: signal) since Tue 2019-06-11 22:57:08 UTC; 5min ago
  Process: 412 ExecStart=/opt/emby-server/bin/emby-server (code=killed, signal=SEGV)
 Main PID: 412 (code=killed, signal=SEGV)

Jun 11 22:57:05 my-media emby-server[412]: Info App: Starting entry point Emby.Server.Sync.SyncNotificationEntryPoint
Jun 11 22:57:05 my-media emby-server[412]: Info App: Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Sync.SyncNotificationEntryPoint. Duration: 0.0203137 seconds
Jun 11 22:57:05 my-media emby-server[412]: Info App: Starting entry point EmbyServer.Windows.LoopUtilEntryPoint
Jun 11 22:57:05 my-media emby-server[412]: Info App: Entry point completed: EmbyServer.Windows.LoopUtilEntryPoint. Duration: 0.0023702 seconds
Jun 11 22:57:05 my-media emby-server[412]: Info App: All entry points have started
Jun 11 22:57:05 my-media emby-server[412]: Application started. Press Ctrl+C to shut down.
Jun 11 22:57:05 my-media emby-server[412]: Hosting environment: Production
Jun 11 22:57:05 my-media emby-server[412]: Content root path: /opt/emby-server/system/
Jun 11 22:57:08 my-media systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=11/SEGV
Jun 11 22:57:08 my-media systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Failed with result 'signal'.

phillrab2009

Hi Luke! I rebuilt my server back in May, and noticed the initial issue after installing 4.1.1.0. Since then I've been on the Beta builds as mentioned above. The "11/SEGV" status only started since being on 4.2.0.15, and I updated to that on  6/10/2019.

phillrab2009

Oh and I had updated to 4.2.0.14 on Jun 7th before this one. I just went back and looked at timestamps on my downloads. 

Sorry for jumping in because I also run emby on my odroid xu4 under debian.

Yes the armhf is the right package because xu4 isn't a 64bit one.

I think you problem can be a corrupted database. Sometimes I had it also on my odroid xu4 because when server stuck or when emby is killed it can corrupt the database.

phillrab2009

Hi bgx! Thanks for your input, every little bit helps! So removing the installed package, and re-installing doesn't remove the corrupt database? If you don't mind, what extension/name should I be searching for for the database? (Should manual deletion be required.)

Luke, here's my output from uname -a which shows "armv7l" and is why I went with the armhf package. 

~# uname -a
Linux my-media 4.14.120-160 #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri May 17 01:18:14 -03 2019 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux

Thanks all!

So removing the installed package, and re-installing doesn't remove the corrupt database?

It depends on the platform whether or not the program data folder is deleted. Was any server log file generated?

phillrab2009

I tried attaching "embyserver.txt" in the first post. Is there a different log I need to be looking for? I can look again, but I don't believe I found anything ending in .log off the top of my head.

You find the database in /var/lib/emby/data

Rename the library.db to library.old and also the library.db-shm and library.db-wal and try to restart.

Gesendet von meinem MHA-L29 mit Tapatalk

I tried attaching "embyserver.txt" in the first post. Is there a different log I need to be looking for? I can look again, but I don't believe I found anything ending in .log off the top of my head.

Can you please attach the files from that logs folder? thanks.

phillrab2009

Ah sorry about that Luke. I wasn't using my noggin. Here those are. embylogs.tar.gz

bgx, just tried what you suggested. The files look like they re-populated after the restart, BUT the service crashed again. Still with the output of "Process: 431 ExecStart=/opt/emby-server/bin/emby-server (code=killed, signal=SEGV)"

**please note that my log upload does not include data from the library file wipeout/rebuild restart. Those are all Pre- library rebuild attempt. 

GreatLord

Hi

I got exacly same issue with Pine64, I try upgrade from 4.0.1.0 to 4.1.1.0 
Pine64 is arm64 bits cpu. 

Hi

I got exacly same issue with Pine64, I try upgrade from 4.0.1.0 to 4.1.1.0 

Pine64 is arm64 bits cpu. 

Hi there, please attach the emby server log, thanks.

@pillrap2009 sorry was a chance to try. Then I don 't know what could be the problem. For me it runs fine on last beta here on my xu4.

Gesendet von meinem MHA-L29 mit Tapatalk

phillrab2009

thanks anyway @@bgx!

So tonight I updated to latest Beta build. Issue persists still. I did notice one thing however. This time after restart and checking that service was running I refrained from loading up a webpage for the server. The process continued to run. I let this go for 5+ minutes. Service still listed as running. After that time I tried loading the web page. The service died immediately. I then updated the system, rebooted, and repeated letting service run without any attempt to access the server. After 7 minute mark I tried loading up my Android app, and insta death. So the service isn't just crashing It's crashing on something happening with user login. I followed this up with removing emby-server installation, manual removal of /var/lib/emby folder, reboot, re-installation, and reboot. Service is no longer starting. I think it's just a botched install. Going to work on that more and will update later. 

Attached are logs from after my first tests after latest update.  

embylogs2.tar.gz

phillrab2009

After removal and reinstall I was able to load into the management interface and everything was working until a media scan of the libraries finished. Now when I load into management interface things are good, but as soon as I change to the Media homepage the server crashes. I tried creating a new user profile but the issue persisted. So it seems to be isolated to loading the content pages. 

• Solution

One thing you could do is try turning off the real-time monitor for each of your emby libraries, and then restart the server.

• Like 1

phillrab2009

One thing you could do is try turning off the real-time monitor for each of your emby libraries, and then restart the server.

Luke, that seems to have done it!!!! I'm watching a movie right now!!!! Thank you thank you thank you!