NextPVR v5 Emby plugin

emveepee

1 minute ago, emveepee said:

I have decided to drop support for this pre-release add-on and removed it from post #1  This was really not an easy decision but I have never been totally comfortable here after the decision was made to move most NextPVR's functionally behind a "pay wall".   My participation on live TV in v4 would certainly never have even begun if I had known that Emby was going to become a commercial application.

Recently sub added cast & crew support and when I started to add it for Emby it opened up this old wound that I get each time I support for the the addon and I couldn't motivate myself any longer.

Although I don't use it beyond testing I do find that Emby continues to be a high quality product with steady enhancements. I expect the reasons users might have interfacing to NextPVR will continue decrease as Emby is enhanced.

Truly I am sorry for any inconvenience. 

Martin

HI Martin,

We understand. If there is enough demand for the plugin, we may consider employing you or a next pvr team member to help support it, or we can look at continuing it ourselves (again if adequate demand exists).

I expect the reasons users might have interfacing to NextPVR will continue decrease as Emby is enhanced.

I think you are right and also that the m3u output feature that you have makes it very easy to integrate without a plugin.

emveepee

Luke, I was primarily hoping the Emby functionality increases to fill the gaps.  It  is not clear that any app profiting from connecting to NextPVR via an m3u playlist or via API is even "acceptable use" under the NextPVR personal non-commercial use license which was one of the reasons I was uncomfortable. That is a totally different business discussion that probably needs to be held offline with sub.

Martin

Luke, I was primarily hoping the Emby functionality increases to fill the gaps.

Hi Martin, Yes that is exactly what is happening simultaneously as well. We're going to have expanded tuner hardware support as well as new channel management in the near future.

Hi Martin,

That is very sad news indeed. I’ve been on a journey to find a viable 10-foot UI replacement for a highly customised WMC config since about March, and Emby with a NextPVR TV backend is the best trade off combination of all the products I’ve tried. Your plugin has a few jagged edges, but with recent releases of Emby and/or NextPVR some of the rough edges have gone away - right now I’m even running your plugin on an Emby/Synology NAS connecting to a remote win10/NextPVR server, and it works very nicely.

Luke - m3u playlists don’t really cut it for folk who are used to instant tuning to DVB-T/T2 broadcasts and being able to run DVR-like functionality on HD transmissions. Good to hear plans for Emby to support HW tuners natively in the future, but I suspect there will be quite a journey until there is built-in support for all the functionality that the dedicated DVB apps currently provide. Personally I’ve come to the conclusion, admittedly unexpectedly given that I started with WMC, that the idea of an all-in-one solution seems like a good path, but the reality is that it limits user choice and ends up being unsatisfactory because integrated apps will always be weaker in some areas when they try to do everything. Better to stick with the client/server model of cooperating ‘dedicated’ apps. For example - I wanted to love MediaPortal, but ended up just frustrated with everything about it.

Just as a personal reflection, I’ve been using Emby (MediaBrowser) for a very long time now, and if Emby/NextPVR stops being an option, then the fallback option IMO is Kodi/NextPVR - that would be a shame because, although Kodi has better integration with many different media sources, I think Emby has far superior media management, and honestly I don’t love the render quality of the built-in Kodi player (Emby moving to PVR player for windows desktop is a winning move if it delivers top quality image quality). There needs to be an ongoing viable and mature DVB solution though. 

steve

Edited by stwarr
  • Like 1

but I suspect there will be quite a journey until there is built-in support for all the functionality that the dedicated DVB apps currently provide. 

You mean there was a journey - we have been on this journey all year long, so at this point we're pretty far into it. So stay tuned.

emveepee
44 minutes ago, stwarr said:

Your plugin has a few jagged edges, but with recent releases of Emby and/or NextPVR some of the rough edges have gone away

Part of the reason for the jagged edges are some PVR addon features did not develop as completely as they did for the Emby built in PVR,  season folder support is a specific example I repeatedly came across. Totally understandable since Emby has limited resources it was just not something I could ever be proud of.

• Like 1

brainfryd

Just wanted to say thanks for all your efforts Martin and your recent help to me personally.  I have been using NextPVR with Kodi for a long time and more recently Emby, having had both in play on different devices in our house. FWIW I was happy to see NextPVR with Emby but completely understand your decision to step away, hope to come across you again one day in the NPVR forums. 

Regards
Brett 

emveepee

Thanks Brett as I wrote it was a difficult decision.  I like writing the interfaces and supporting NextPVR users,though and I am not going anywhere.

Martin

• Like 1

arrbee99

I certainly appreciate you doing this work. Its still my go to for live tv in Emby.

But I must admit I don't understand why its now disappeared ? Surely it could just remain available and at least still be there until Emby hopefully comes up with something new.

Ah, for feck sake.

Over 4 years ago, I wrote a blog article around why Emby wasn't for me, mostly down to PVR and LiveTV shortcomings

Since, I've been using Kodi clients with Emby Server, but PVR dropped off our usage.

Recently, my daughter moved off to university and I wanted to set her up with a simple to use way of accessing our home media libraries on her laptop. 'Surely, Emby has moved on a bit', I thought.

I bought a premier licence to allow her connect to and playback media remotely. First problem was I just couldn't get the client to connect remotely. I had to set her up with an openVPN connection to our home server to get it to connect at all. Maybe some local network configuration, no worries.

I then had the bright idea of setting up the PVR system again (I still have all the tuners), so she could get liveTV when needed (no TVs in her student residencies).I did a quick install; of NextPVR (I remembered it as one of the more straightforward back ends) but spent the day pfaffing around to try to get it integrated into EMBY, and then I find this thread ending.

Amazing to see over 4 years later issues persist. Emby is a GREAT piece of server software, but for anything I try to do with it around PVR/DVR, it's a steaming pile of you know what. I literally cannot get it to work in any way that's viable for me. By contrast, I enabled the NExtPVR plugin in Kodi and had EPG, channels and recoding capabilities instantly.

Looks like I'll be dropping my subscription again and waiting another 4 years. I won't be bothering to blog about it this time. 

Hi, Kind of sounds like you're making things overly complicated from the clients being used, to running through VPN to using 3rd party software where it likely isn't needed for TV.

Unless your ISP has you behind a gnat you have no need for a VPN of any kind as you just need to make sure you setup Emby correctly and open the ports on your router correctly.
https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001849007-connectivity

Emby directly supports the two most popular brands of tuners (SiliconDust & Hauppage) so if using either of those two brands you should be able to set the tuners up directly in Emby and use Guide Date built right in for USA, CA & UK.
https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001160415-live-tv-setup

There are many clients available that work great on Emby and Kodi can certainly be one of them but not so much IMHO for TV and not for the case with your daughter.  You want something simple that just works, doesn't need lots of setup and config other that setting bitrate/bandwidth.  Something like a MiBox-S is about perfect for this use and run the excellent Emby ATV client.

You want your system to be as easy to use for your daughter as point and click and should be roughly as easy to use a Netflix or Hulu for her without dealing with establishing private VPNs and whatnot which might cause her issues on the school network. This way she can easily use any device (connected to TV), notebook, tablet or phone with ease.

Edited by cayars

instantsunrise

Count me among those who’d like to see the NextPVR plug-in continued to be updated.  Right now I’m using NextPVR as a common backend for both kodi on my main HTPC, and the Emby server that the other tv’s and my cell phone use.

The m3u method works, but I can’t seem to get it to sync the recording timers with NextPVR.

25 minutes ago, instantsunrise said:

The m3u method works, but I can’t seem to get it to sync the recording timers with NextPVR.

There would be nothing to sync as Emby would be doing the recording vs NextPVR.

emveepee
7 hours ago, instantsunrise said:

Count me among those who’d like to see the NextPVR plug-in continued to be updated.  Right now I’m using NextPVR as a common backend for both kodi on my main HTPC, and the Emby server that the other tv’s and my cell phone use.

Yes unfortunately if you use Kodi PVR with NextPVR you will have reduced interoperability.  I never installed the Emby addon for Kodi but perhaps all of the Live TV and recording functionality is there.  Otherwise it might be helpful for Emby to develop their own Kodi PVR addon to their backend.

Martin

SHSPVR
6 hours ago, cayars said:

There would be nothing to sync as Emby would be doing the recording vs NextPVR.

Yup that right it not something you need worry about with m3u method instantsunrise with NextPVR in fact you don't need EPG on it

More like Emby dose all the Scheduling and File storage placement where NextPVR is just backend recorder

Edited by SHSPVR

SHSPVR
5 minutes ago, emveepee said:

Yes unfortunately if you use Kodi PVR with NextPVR you will have reduced interoperability.  I never installed the Emby addon for Kodi but perhaps all of the Live TV and recording functionality is there.  Otherwise it might be helpful for Emby to develop their own Kodi PVR addon to their backend.

Martin

That what Next Gen TV is for but it only going be for DVB/ATSC Digital Tuner and be directly build-in to Emby.

instantsunrise

Does the Emby plugin for Kodi have the option to function as a PVR plugin for Kodi’s own live tv functionality?  Because if so, then I could migrate my recording timers over to Emby and cut NextPVR out of the loop altogether.

emveepee

I think the question is how will an Emby Premier subscriber watch live TV and schedule recordings etc on Kodi instead of using a dedicated Emby client.

Martin

• Thanks 1

I have a Hauppage WinTV-dualHD USB tuner on my server. With NPVR 5 plugin it works flawlessly. Yesterday, as a test, I used emby's tuner settings - auto detection of the tuner and setting an xml file for the guide.

• Guide works fine except that it shows duplicate channels that are not included in (and not populated) by the actual guide file and it appears that I cannot delete or hide them from the guide - this is disappointing.
  • TV playback and recording work fine - as long as I KEEP THE NPVR PLUGIN FILES installed. If I remove those files, TV playback and recording both FAIL. The guide shows the red recording dot but nothing happens and TV playback just gives me a never ending circle of death.

Clearly, emby cannot control my particular tuner - even though it correctly detects it as an Hauppage tuner. So, at this point I am reliant on the NPVR plugin in order to playback or record TV.

If the NPVR v5 plugin is deprecated/discontinued I will not be a happy camper...

Please configure emby to control the Hauppage WinTV-dualHD USB tuner (v8.5 drivers) or review this course of action.

Edited by jordy

Sound like you're not letting Emby take control if you have the plugin installed and it's doing what you mention.

You would want to remove the plugin, then setup the tuners in Emby along with the guide source.
You will need the Win-TV software installed as well.

Try again doing it that way and you should be fine.

Or just let NextPVR do the recording and send the files to an Emby library. That's how I do backup recordings. Then you don't need a plugin. Actually more reliable than Emby recording.

10 hours ago, cayars said:

Sound like you're not letting Emby take control if you have the plugin installed and it's doing what you mention.

You would want to remove the plugin, then setup the tuners in Emby along with the guide source.
You will need the Win-TV software installed as well.

Try again doing it that way and you should be fine.

Unfortunately, I've been there & done that and nothing, nada, zip... It doesn't work without NPVR v5 plugin files being present in the Program data/plugin directory. WinTV software is and always has been installed since I installed the tuner.

Process was:

Remove the NPVR v5 dll files, restart the server, auto detect the tuner, point the guide at a pre-prepared xml file which emby has always used via NPVR.

Not sure what else I can do.

Is there anyone that has emby working with this tuner?

9 hours ago, dcol said:

Or just let NextPVR do the recording and send the files to an Emby library. That's how I do backup recordings. Then you don't need a plugin. Actually more reliable than Emby recording.

Yep, you are correct and this approach works just fine for recordings. However, it also means that I cannot view LiveTV (via Emby) remotely - and that is a deal breaker :(