Emby asks to add local server every time

HHTEX
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

I have 4 roku's and only one of them is having this issue.  Every time I start the emby app my server is missing and I have to readd the IP address.  Emby server is 4.1.0.26 on a windows box it's not running in a VM is a straight forward setup, the Roku is up to date.

I have rebooted it multiple times yet it keeps losing the local IP for my server.  Connections are fine as I'm able to stream directTv now without issue and once I enter the IP address Emby works without issue. 

Edited by HHTEX

The dashboard says it's up to date, I'll force an update. 

ETA: after restarting Emby, it updated and the problem went away.  Odd that it was only happening with 1 out of 4 rokus.

Edited by HHTEX

nkelly

Been having the same issue last several days with old roku2.  Will try to force server update tonight.  Thanks for posting solution !   Also noticed Blue Neon Night has been having issue with playlists. 

Also found that BNN has been discontinued (really need to spend more time on the forum :) ) due to roku SDK changes ( i believe i asked if this would happen awhile back :( ).  Very sorry to see if go, but looking forward to BNN features being possibly incorporated into main roku app.  Thanks for the great software !

Been having the same issue last several days with old roku2.  Will try to force server update tonight.  Thanks for posting solution !   Also noticed Blue Neon Night has been having issue with playlists. 

Also found that BNN has been discontinued (really need to spend more time on the forum :) ) due to roku SDK changes ( i believe i asked if this would happen awhile back :( ).  Very sorry to see if go, but looking forward to BNN features being possibly incorporated into main roku app.  Thanks for the great software !

Which app are you using?

I had the the issue pop back up yesterday morning.  I forced a Roku reboot but this is on a model 3 4200X and the issue immediately went away.  My guess is Roku is pushing out updates and breaking things. 

My advice to emby developers would be to thoroughly test things before pushing them out.  It would also be good to know when roku is going to push out an update to make these issues easier to track down.

I personally wish I could block the Roku updates so that I could do them on my schedule if I deemed necessary.  I tried blocking them with the pihole but I'm guessing Roku figured out a way around it. 

nkelly

I just got a chance to check the server rev and i'm already at 4.1.1.0   windows.  i normally use either the official roku app or the BNN app ( i like the extra options when using playlists).  i noticed that the BNN started having issues with an existing playlist about 2 months ago,  I have a ton of cartoons and run a playlist of about 200 in my barn / workshop (as i'm working ) on an old roku 2 driving an old 50 inch tv ( standard def).  it's been working fine for a year or more, up until about 2 months ago and then after a couple of hours i would return to the shop and find the roku reset.  i checked and the BNN is on life support so i switched to the official app on the roku.  The problem is the server isn't remembered ( the official app always worked fine until recently) and when i enter the ip address  and port number , the roku will think about it and then reset itself.    Sometimes it goes to asking for a user name ( which i have) and a password ( which i don't use )and then resets the roku.

Note the BNN won't remember the address either, but when i enter the data, it finds the server and allows me to play cartoons or movies.  if i shut down the BNN app and restart, i have to enter the address again. The BNN roku app does remember the user however each time,  The roku is regularly power cycled so it has been shut down completely several times.

i normally don't use a password (nothing in the password box) because i'm on a private network - no outside access.   i'm going to add a simple password to see if that's the issue (maybe it doesn't like a lack of password for the user - but it always worked before.

it is possible to block updates to the roku by using a "pihole" (look it up) and blocking the roku's company addresses ( i'm not doing that but it can be done).  I really hate the roku and have switched all my hi res use over to the fire tv system and they work great, But the roku 2 supports standard def ( and i have about 6 of them and a couple of old tvs that are still in use ;) )

nkelly

OK more info.  I tried the roku 3 i use in the house ( primarily use the fire tv set top) and it's having the same issue.  I added a password to the account and now it allows me to connect. remembers the user name I've always used, and prompts me for the password and plays a file fine but when i go back to roku home and then open emby again i need to enter the address.  Just to be evil , i tried to use the fire app for emby and while it did remember the server name, and user name and prompted me for the new password, after i played a file and the exited out ( of the fire app) and the reconnected , it said " invalid user id or password" and i have to select the server again , the user again and then enter my password (one character) and i'm good to go until i leave the app.  So it must be something related to the server if both the roku app and the fire tv app are having login issues.

i normally don't use a password (nothing in the password box) because i'm on a private network - no outside access.   i'm going to add a simple password to see if that's the issue (maybe it doesn't like a lack of password for the user - but it always worked before.

That is likely the problem. Due to recent security concerns with some users not understanding that port forwarding will/can/does expose their IP to the internet. Not just your friends who you share your IP with will find you. Everyone on the internet can. People port scan all the time. Then with no password on the administrator account these bad actors who port scan for Emby can just click into your server and add themselves as users so later when you change administrator password they still have their access.

We had several reports where some group of people were actively scanning for open Emby servers and using the "administrator isn't forced to have a password when using remotely" exploit to gain unauthorized access to Emby server. People were finding strange users added to their Emby server login. Those strange users had watched sessions and favorites too. So they were aware they were stealing from Emby users. It wasn't Emby at fault. The user had no administrator password. The user forwarded their Emby IP to the outside world. Those two together are a perfect storm. Bad people can steal from you both your bandwidth and your material on your server.

To stem that storm and stop the damage Emby is now protecting you from that problem. BNN remembers the user because it isn't destroy the full data when you change servers. If you have remember user checked in that app it will diligently remember the user. That is why that part is different BNN to official. The official app isn't remembering the user because the other official Emby apps do not. This is a consistency. This is why the Fire TV app and Roku are both behave the way they are. They are trying to stop unauthorized access to your server when it is really you.

If you use the local IP address and not Emby Connect to use your local Emby server it should work without a hitch even without an administrator password. It does for me and I have same issue with Emby Connect.

Edited by speechles

nkelly

still more - when i remove the single character password from the account , then the fire tv app is happy.  it remembers everything (server , user) and comes up right into the app.  So maybe there is an issue with a single character password in the emby fire tv app :).  Anyway, with or without the password , the roku official app and the BNN app need the ip address each time i run the app.  The BNN seems to remember the user and will go into the app after i enter the ip address and the port.  The official roku app wants the ip address port number , user id and password each time on the roku 3 - it seems to crash after entering a blank password on the roku 2.  not sure where to go from here.  I removed the emby app from the roku and reinstalled it with no effect. 

nkelly

just checked one last time ( for the night), with the password ( single character removed) the official roku app (on the roku 3) will crash back to the roku home screen (after entering the ip address , port number and user name) when i leave the password entry empty and select ok - bang - back to the roku home screen.

with the BNN app ( same unit - a roku 3  - the roku 2 is in the barn and it's raining like the end of the world here ), i enter the ip address and port , it remembers the user name and since it doesn't need a password, the BNN starts and i'm able to play videos ( so i have a limp along method for SD in my barn - BNN - until we can figure out whats happening)

The fire tv app is fat and happy after i removed the password ( 1 character)  it remembers everything and comes up and runs.

nkelly

sorry just noticed what you wrote about the password.  my lengthy ( :) ) texts had it off the screen .  i do enter the local ip address 192.168 and so on and with no password (blank) the official app will crash back to the roku login.  when i had the single character password , it would bring up the app but still wouldn't remember anything after i exited out and reentered the app. 

The BNN app will accept the local ip and port number and will come up and run but wont remember anything other than the user .

I suspect the issue with the fire tv is the fact hat it was only a single character password.  when i reentered the single character again it let me in. 

I have no outside access , my home networks is behind two stacked firewalls ( one Fios firewall and one internal firewall).  I monitor open directories on reddit so i'm aware of the amount of port sniffing that goes on.

still not sure how to proceed.

nkelly

one last thing .  the account i'm using is the admin account ( named nkelly).  Would this now work better if i created a "dummy" non admin account (fred) to log in with.  I don't mind selecting a user from the list but i don't want to type my internal ip and port number every time i connect going forward. 

nkelly

ok i tried user "fred" (with no password) and exactly the same issue - fred is not admin, just plain user.  BNN works - official app crashed back to roku home (both apps on roku 3 ).

so does this mean that from now on all users must have a password ?  why does your setup work without password  ?  the fire tv app works without password.  i hope not because using the roku remote for keyboard activity is painful :)

Thanks for all your help by the way  :)

So far I found one problem in the logic that tries to get the server name in the app. I found a crash and fixed one of them. I will go through that logic and see what is up. It has been bugging me lately it acts like a dork. Let me see if I can take it to school make it smarter.

So far I did find and correct one bug. Onto the next..

Does your server dashboard show the proper local IP address?

The fact the app cannot remember your server sounds like some sort of network level issue going on.  Have you blocked UDP?

nkelly

Does your server dashboard show the proper local IP address?

The fact the app cannot remember your server sounds like some sort of network level issue going on.  Have you blocked UDP?

The official roku app on the roku 3 does seem to remember the server name but always comes up in the "emby connect" page.  If you click the left arrow button you can select the server name but then need to fill out the user name and password.  If you aren't using a password ( password is blank) the official app will crash right after you say "ok" to the empty password entry.   The dashboard shows the ip address (that's how i knew what to fill in for the ip address).  I can connect to the dashboard from any PC in my internal network using that ip address.

When i was using plex, they had an "allow insecure connections" setting.  Is there anything like that in emby ?

i'll check on UDP when i get home tonight.  The fire tv app can connect correctly ( it shows the name of the server) and remembers all details.

nkelly

one other bit of info.  i recently added a second server (couple of months back) .  I wanted a way to watch "temporary files" from playon downloads from removable media that wouldn't be attached all the time.  Since emby can't exclude library updates on media that is not always available, i figured i'd just add another server ( from a 2nd PC) and only run emby when that media was connected.  i did for about a week and roku saw both servers and i eventually removed that server ( was trying to decide which pc to use as second server). Would having multiple servers (temporally) inside the internal network cause this type of issue ? 

one other bit of info.  i recently added a second server (couple of months back) .  I wanted a way to watch "temporary files" from playon downloads from removable media that wouldn't be attached all the time.  Since emby can't exclude library updates on media that is not always available, i figured i'd just add another server ( from a 2nd PC) and only run emby when that media was connected.  i did for about a week and roku saw both servers and i eventually removed that server ( was trying to decide which pc to use as second server). Would having multiple servers (temporally) inside the internal network cause this type of issue ? 

Yes. We are investigating this issue. We will put all hands on deck if need be. This problem must be cured. I will need to get together with @@Luke @@ebr and @@softworkz at some point to formulate a game plan of attack on this issue. It is a show stopper and as such it is an Emby Team problem. Not just a Roku division problem. This will be dealt with immediately.

nkelly

thanks for your help !  is anybody else having the same issue ? still wonder if it's something stupid i'm doing or have done to the server.  are there logs i could provide ?    Thanks again

thanks for your help !  is anybody else having the same issue ? still wonder if it's something stupid i'm doing or have done to the server.  are there logs i could provide ?    Thanks again

I have steps to reproduce as I discovered this myself awhile back but considered it rare. If you are also seeing it it isn't rare. Two people seeing the same isn't rare. It is a problem. While we can reproduce we have to fix issues going backwards. So I fix one crash. Then another. Then a bug here. Until you finally stumble upon the correct issue causing all the other problems that cascaded after it. So I can't just start putting code to work and releasing that as "fixes" because they won't be. They would merely mask the issue and possibly cause other issues.

We want to "put this to bed". I want this to be sleeping. No longer an issue brought up on these forums that the Roku app is doing this. We want you happy part of that is having the initial login process to even open the application work as smoothly as possible. That is the initial first impression users have of the app. It can't even do the login correctly. We cannot have people think that. This must be fixed. It is a problem.

If you want to post logs of the failure on your end please do so. More information is never a bad thing. More users helping us solve this issue is never a bad thing. We do appreciate your help. We may not experience the same issues or did and figured they were extremely rare. I apologize at that time I didn't take the issue more seriously. We will now. ^_^

nappysolo

My issue is with Roku client, both official (build 155) and beta (build 168), server is 4.1.1.0:

Every time I launch the client, it asks me to sign in to Emby Connect (which I never do). I skip to manually connect and find the host name blank. I put in my local server host name, select connect, I immediately get a list of usernames from my local server, click on my user id (I don't use passwords), and I'm good to go.

I think I first saw this 2 days ago.

• 2 weeks later...
nkelly

So i'm up and running again.  The secret was to reboot the server.  i think a pending windows 7 update must have confused the system.  Thanks for your help !