Photo

[REQ] Music Display Change

Best Answer skidmarks , 13 June 2019 - 08:32 AM

Well... sometimes its just stupid users (me)! How about ticking enable backdrops?

Yah, its always been off due to advice that it may increase performance. Needless to say i now have a super fresh music library, jumped to the beta and thanks to speechles gained more knowledge massaging my library db.

Now my question is, possibly this section should have backgrounds on by default? Not a huge fan of them being on when in the main library views.

Thanks to all! Knowledge is always appreciated! Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 4466 posts
  • Local time: 07:21 PM

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:32 PM

I forgot to mention after remove libraries and scan. Then add back and scan.. Wait til scan gets to 100% and Emby shows no activity on dashboard. Then kill Emby.

Then: rename library.db to new-library.db. rename backup-library.db to library.db. delete new-library.db if you wish.

Also to speed up loading up the DB you can optimize it:

https://sqlitebrowser.org/

I use DB browser for SQLite

Use the file menu and "open database..." choose your library.db. Then use "compact database". It may look like the app freezes. It is just very busy and gives no visual clues what it is doing. It does that to not waste clock cycles on a display. So wait til it shows the program is responding again and close DB browser after it finishes compacting. Now start Emby server and you should notice it is faster to display items than it was before.

Edited by speechles, 12 June 2019 - 03:36 PM.

#22 skidmarks OFFLINE  

skidmarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • Local time: 10:21 PM

Posted 13 June 2019 - 08:32 AM   Best Answer

Well... sometimes its just stupid users (me)! How about ticking enable backdrops?

Yah, its always been off due to advice that it may increase performance. Needless to say i now have a super fresh music library, jumped to the beta and thanks to speechles gained more knowledge massaging my library db.

Now my question is, possibly this section should have backgrounds on by default? Not a huge fan of them being on when in the main library views.

Thanks to all! Knowledge is always appreciated!

#23 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 44879 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:36 AM

All you people asking for "just make it an option".  This is a textbook case of one of the several reasons why we try to only have them when absolutely necessary :).

Glad you figured it out.

• skidmarks likes this

#24 skidmarks OFFLINE  

skidmarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:23 AM

Ouch!

Edited:

Was at my Dr. office this morning (if anyone is wondering:  Yah i still have MS :-) when i initially saw @ebr reply.  At first i thought this was a slam against me as a user.  But i now interpret this totally differently.  Having had the task of managing million dollar projects i understand where this reply actually came from.  Everyone has an opinion on how something should be done.  If they dont agree "it should be an option".  If they do agree then "why make it an option".  Its a catch 22 and at the end of the day a user (or a small group of users) is left unsatisfied. 

I don't want emby to ever become plex.  Been there done that.  You get what the developers give you.  If you don't like it, well too bad.  But at the same time having excessive amounts of options is also a bad idea.  Especially when the end user is thinking it will resolve one issue (unaware that there are other parts of the server that are also effected) .  This is a great example where i though for 3 or 4 months "Geeze this big open area and nothing is there.  I'll give them some time and wait to see what they come up with".  Turns out MY decision to not enable backdrops, thinking it speeds up the overall response from the server, was the reason for all these months that something should be there.

All you developers have a very difficult task of trying to appease as many end users as possible.  I for one understand and appreciate the great strides forward over the years and how difficult it must be when it comes to deciding what should be, what is and what end users think should be optional.  Good luck with that!

Anyway, again thanks for the time on this.  My mistake.  And i am just happy that i'm not looking at a black screen after 40 seconds!

Edited by skidmarks, 13 June 2019 - 11:54 AM.

#25 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 44879 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 11:36 AM

Ouch!

Not trying to call you out.  Not your fault at all.  None of us thought to look at the option either...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users