Photo

[REQ] Music Display Change

Best Answer skidmarks , 13 June 2019 - 08:32 AM

Well... sometimes its just stupid users (me)! How about ticking enable backdrops?

Yah, its always been off due to advice that it may increase performance. Needless to say i now have a super fresh music library, jumped to the beta and thanks to speechles gained more knowledge massaging my library db.

Now my question is, possibly this section should have backgrounds on by default? Not a huge fan of them being on when in the main library views.

Thanks to all! Knowledge is always appreciated! Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 skidmarks OFFLINE  

skidmarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • Local time: 09:46 PM

Posted 11 June 2019 - 11:17 AM

Guys, back from chasing sharks in NC...  Guess i wasn't chummy enough.

Have noticed a few improvements in how information is displayed.  Great job!

Was curious if there was any upcoming top secret plans to add possibly graphics to the currently playing display for music?  After the 40 second mark 3/4 of the screen is blank, the bottom being song name and duration information.

Probably to prevent screen burn?  But I would love to see the cover / folder art take up a portion of this after the 40 seconds is up.

Great job!  Roku is coming along nicely...

#2 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 44879 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 11:58 AM

Provide backdrops for your artists and you will get the following:

5cffcfb407ecb_musicss.jpg

We can consider maybe making the backdrop the album art if you don't have an artist one...

#3 skidmarks OFFLINE  

skidmarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 01:15 PM

Provide backdrops for your artists and you will get the following:

5cffcfb407ecb_musicss.jpg

We can consider maybe making the backdrop the album art if you don't have an artist one...

Well darn!  I like that display better than a ratty ole album cover...  I'll have to investigate this further.  The majority of my artist folders have multiple backdrop images.  These only need to be in the artist folder, not the album folder?

#4 skidmarks OFFLINE  

skidmarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 02:15 PM

Well before my # - Z locked up i did not see any of my artist backdrops being shown after the 40 sec timer.  I do see backdrops when i select an artist.  But nothing after selecting songs.

These are the backdrop / backdrop1 / backdrop2 etc files in the artist folder, correct?

The # - z thing is still killing me.  But lets not jump off topic...

#5 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 44879 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 02:18 PM

Are you on the stable server?  I seem to recall some sort of backdrop inheritance problem existing at some point...

#6 skidmarks OFFLINE  

skidmarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 02:29 PM

Are you on the stable server?  I seem to recall some sort of backdrop inheritance problem existing at some point...

Stable Server... 

But possibly not for much longer.  I might be ready to go beta again.

#7 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 129304 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 02:30 PM

There should be no issue with backdrop inheritance on 4.1.1.

#8 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 4466 posts
  • Local time: 06:46 PM

Posted 11 June 2019 - 02:33 PM

Play a song first. Play any song get music playing. Now try your jump and it will work.

This is because the Roku timing is off on stop then start the task to fetch more items.

Firmware 9.1.x ARGHHH *shakes fist*

When playing music somehow it slows this down and suddenly jumps work. Don't know why. Just know when playing music in the background my jumps always work... lol

Let me know if playing music also makes your album, album artist, and artist jumps work correctly. :)

Edited by speechles, 11 June 2019 - 02:34 PM.

#9 skidmarks OFFLINE  

skidmarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 03:44 PM

Play a song first. Play any song get music playing. Now try your jump and it will work.

This is because the Roku timing is off on stop then start the task to fetch more items.

Firmware 9.1.x ARGHHH *shakes fist*

When playing music somehow it slows this down and suddenly jumps work. Don't know why. Just know when playing music in the background my jumps always work... lol

Let me know if playing music also makes your album, album artist, and artist jumps work correctly. :)

Well there was hope after reading your workaround.  But nope.  I can jump a few letters down at a time.  But when going down to the middle the clear spinning wheel just sits there.  The album i selected continues to play in the background.  I still have the capability (although its a moot point) to highlight any letter in the # - Z.  But basically the music is playing but the app isn't home!  

Strange as this might seem it got stranger when i walked my nappy butt back down the stairs to the server (now keep in mind i had no choice to return back to the roku home screen) my server was still "playing" my selection to the roku?

5d0003fa5f350_Capture.jpg

This has gotten away from what my original topic was about.  I really like what ebr showed for the backdrop.  Much better than my suggestion.  Unfortunately i don't see these!

Maybe if i jump to the beta?

Thanks guys!

#10 skidmarks OFFLINE  

skidmarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 10:56 PM

Jumped the ship and went to the server beta (refreshed all my libraries)...

Same ole Situation

Would be great if someone would jump into this thread and confirm they have these backgrounds when playing music.  I don't recall ever seeing anything but a blank black background (other than the lower 3rd) after the 40 second mark.

#11 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 129304 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 10:59 PM

Changing the server version by itself will not change anything. Try using metadata editing features to download images for your artists.

#12 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 44879 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:59 AM

Would be great if someone would jump into this thread and confirm they have these backgrounds when playing music. 

You saw mine...

When on the normal audio player screen (before SS kicks in) I assume there is no background there either?

Can you pull up an artist and edit images for them?  What do you see?

5d01052ca8cf3_artistimages.png

#13 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 14419 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:37 PM

Well before my # - Z locked up i did not see any of my artist backdrops being shown after the 40 sec timer.  I do see backdrops when i select an artist.  But nothing after selecting songs.

These are the backdrop / backdrop1 / backdrop2 etc files in the artist folder, correct?

Artist folder images are not used anymore.  Poster/Folder will be used for folder views.  All Artists reside in metadata\artists now.

Edited by Happy2Play, 12 June 2019 - 01:38 PM.

#14 skidmarks OFFLINE  

skidmarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:38 PM

@ebr 5d01372571527_Capture.jpg

I do have backdrops for the few i have checked.  Then i just went into my music folder and searched *backdrop.  It returned 10442 results. 

Must be something i am going to have to look into deeper.  Wireless Rokus and all...

Just glad to know this is actually what should be taking up the real-estate after the 40 sec.

Enough of your time spent on this (what turns out to be) issue.

Thanks guys!

#15 skidmarks OFFLINE  

skidmarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:40 PM

Artist folder images are not used anymore.  Poster/Folder will be used for folder views.  All Artists reside in metadata\artists now.

Can you clarify this for me?  Not sure where this leaves my current files?

#16 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 14419 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:50 PM

Can you clarify this for me?  Not sure where this leaves my current files?

Emby no longer uses the images that reside in your music\artist folders, except for primary images for folder view.  .  So you can only depend on the what you see via edit images on the artist (\metadata\artist folder).

#17 skidmarks OFFLINE  

skidmarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 02:44 PM

So i looked

Emby no longer uses the images that reside in your music\artist folders, except for primary images for folder view.  .  So you can only depend on the what you see via edit images on the artist (\metadata\artist folder).

Looking in the \metadata folders...  Hoping there was going to be a easy way to just copy these backdrop files where they need to go.  Something easier than going thru every artist in emby metadata one at a time and adding backdrops the "correct way".  Doesn't look like this is going to be a simple copy and paste.  Very unfortunate...  

I will have to decide if artist backgrounds are going to be worth my effort at this point.  BUT thanks for clarifying what my issue is.  

Edited by skidmarks, 12 June 2019 - 02:45 PM.

#18 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 4466 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:19 PM

There is a way to do it automated. You just need to remove your music libraries from Emby. Scan. Add them back and scan. That would immediately solve the problem. You will need to back up your DB before you do this. As after you do this and it makes the artists correctly you copy back your old library DB you had prior to retain your played status on your music and recently/frequently and such. So basically copy (backup) your library.db to backup-library.db. Then remove your music libraries. scan. add them back. scan. rename library.db to new-library.db. rename backup-library.db to library.db. delete new-library.db if you wish.

Do not make changes or alter your music library in-between removing and adding. This is what makes replacing the library.db afterwards possible. It is imperative that you make no changes to the structure, filenames, etc.. just remove.. scan.. add back exactly same as what was removed. scan. Do not change paths you add/remove from. This must be done identical to the way they were before when adding back.

Edited by speechles, 12 June 2019 - 03:26 PM.

• skidmarks likes this

#19 skidmarks OFFLINE  

skidmarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:24 PM

Decided to do the first 10 artists in my collection with the knowledge that backdrops are now ignored in the artist folder...

Every artist already had one backdrop.  But i added 2 to 3 more using edit images.

Still nothing shows up in the app after the 40 sec time period.

I dont want you guys spending more time on this if it is isolated to my set up.

I'll see what transpires after a library scan and the normal t/s steps.

#20 skidmarks OFFLINE  

skidmarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:26 PM

There is a way to do it automated. You just need to remove your music libraries from Emby. Scan. Add them back and scan. That would immediately solve the problem. You will need to back up your DB before you do this. As after you do this and it makes the artists correctly you copy back your old library DB you had prior to retain your played status on your music and recently/frequently and such. So basically copy (backup) your library.db to backup-library.db. Then remove your music libraries. scan. add them back. scan. rename library.db to new-library.db. rename backup-library.db to library.db. delete new-library.db if you wish.

You posted while i was typing the above...

Thanks!!!  I will do this immediately. 

Edited by skidmarks, 12 June 2019 - 03:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users