How to change current paths in Fedora?

Richard Branches
Go to solution Solved by Richard Branches,

Richard Branches

Current paths in my Fedora 29 system are as follows:

5cfee8c757674_Paths.png

What I want is to move them to the home folder and also hide the folder "emby" so it should be like this:

/home/myusername/.emby/cache

/home/myusername/.emby/logs

/home/myusername/.emby/metadata

/home/myusername/.emby/transcoding-temp

How can I do that?

Edited by Richard Branches

Hi there, other than the log folder, the other three can all be changed in the server dashboard. Have you explored the server transcoding settings, or advanced library settings?

Richard Branches

Hi there, other than the log folder, the other three can all be changed in the server dashboard. Have you explored the server transcoding settings, or advanced library settings?

Since I'm under Linux now I thought I had to do something different here, although I still need to grant Emby to access a different folder and I still don't know how to do that.

Is the log folder unmovable or is it possible to change its path?

It's currently not possible to configure the logs folder, but it wont' use too much space as log files older than three days are deleted.

• Solution
Richard Branches

It's currently not possible to configure the logs folder, but it wont' use too much space as log files older than three days are deleted.

Ok, as for the other folders I found the solution:

setfacl -m user:emby:rwx /home/myusername/.emby

With this command I am now able to access the hidden Emby folder I created inside home with the cache, metadata and transcoding.

Edited by Richard Branches

Richard Branches

You should put those folders inside home by default after Emby is installed, including the logs folder.

mastrmind11

You should put those folders inside home by default after Emby is installed, including the logs folder.

That goes against basically every linux convention in the book.  Emby is installed in one of the standard 3rd party app install locations.  It should not be moved.  Linux != Windows.

• Like 1

Richard Branches

what do you mean home by default?

The "home" partition should be the default location for cache, metadata and transcoding-temp folders, since it's usually bigger than the root partition where those folder are located by default.

Richard Branches

That goes against basically every linux convention in the book.  Emby is installed in one of the standard 3rd party app install locations.  It should not be moved.  Linux != Windows.

That's not what I meant. I agree Emby must be installed in its default location but the cache, metadata and transcoding-temp folder shouldn't be default in the "root"partition, the root partition usually is smaller than the home partition, so it may make sense to have those folders located in the home partition

On Windows I usually install emby in C:\ but I move the cache, metadata and transcoding-temp folder to D:\ since it's usually bigger than C:\, also I didn't want Windows to boot slower due to the amount of files generated by the cache and metadata folders.

Q-Droid

The "home" partition should be the default location for cache, metadata and transcoding-temp folders, since it's usually bigger than the root partition where those folder are located by default.

You have the right idea but the wrong details. Linux is a multi-user system and "home" is relative to each user. Your user "home" is different from other user's "home", including the emby user account.

Richard Branches

You have the right idea but the wrong details. Linux is a multi-user system and "home" is relative to each user. Your user "home" is different from other user's "home", including the emby user account.

So does Windows and I suppose other OSes as well, as for Windows, there is a similar folder structure called "users" located at the root of C:\ where you can find all the users created, they are similar to a "home" user in Linux.

Q-Droid

So does Windows and I suppose other OSes as well, as for Windows, there is a similar folder structure called "users" located at the root of C:\ where you can find all the users created, they are similar to a "home" user in Linux.

But you wouldn't want to nest one user's files in another user's home, right? And in the case of a server application even less so. The current default location for these files, /var/lib/emby, is the home for that user account.

I'm guessing delacosta78 is your user account on your server. Best practice would be to create another directory either under /home or some other location and owned by emby where you can place the files. And the only reason to move them would be if /home is indeed on a different partition or volume than /var. But if they are on the same one then it doesn't matter.

Richard Branches

But you wouldn't want to nest one user's files in another user's home, right? And in the case of a server application even less so. The current default location for these files, /var/lib/emby, is the home for that user account.

I'm guessing delacosta78 is your user account on your server. Best practice would be to create another directory either under /home or some other location and owned by emby where you can place the files. And the only reason to move them would be if /home is indeed on a different partition or volume than /var. But if they are on the same one then it doesn't matter.

I already set the new paths and I believe it's better that they use the huge space of the home partition rather than the small space of the root partition.