Photo Library Plugins

sundevil67

sundevil67

There has to be a better way to do this.

I'm using Mac OS Photos to store my primary library. I'm using 'smart' albums to collect photos with specific people & then copying the contents to 'regular' albums. I found a middleware app called 'Sync for iPhoto', which doesn't work very well, but it does export the folders & albums to the finder where Emby picks things up. I need a way to automate the process without getting into Applescript or Automator.

No matter how I decide to organize things, there will always be duplicates instead of multiple references to the same image file.

Can anyone point me to a list of plugins related to photo library organization?

Hi, we don't currently have any plugins for photos. I think supporting this is a good idea for the future. Thanks !

• 4 years later...
simonmason

I don't see anything more on this?  My photos on Mac are in the tens of thousands.  I did try some third party hacks to download the pictures to put them on my NAS in a way that Emby could pull them up but it was very unreliable.  I use Dakboard to access the photos for photo frames around the house.  A google photos integration would also be ok as I sync all of my Mac photos to Google.

Also mentioned here...

and here for Google:

sundevil67

I'd still really like to see this. Ideally, the metadata could be passed along as well, so that a keyword search would work, and even identified faces so there'd be clickable names. I've set up my directory structure on my external HD I use for my Emby server in a fairly organized fashion, with extended family in folders according to last name. However I still eat up quite a lot of space by having to duplicate photos when people from different nuclear families appear in the same picture.

If I could set up a semi-automated synchronization, so that when I add new photos to my Mac, my Emby library is updated over the LAN...That can be done with 3rd party software..just required too much time to figure out & set up. Of course Mac Photos uses a unique directory structure (and uses "albums" instead of traditional "folders"), so before you can even think about a mirrored drive/sync, you'd need AppleScript to spit that out into a directory structure Emby can read. I tried migrating to Mylio, primarily for this purpose, because it has powerful tools for syncing between multiple devices, but it was a complete disaster. Unless you have room for a part time job organizing photos, keep away. I lost every bit of work I'd done organizing my 10k+ photo library, and now have the digital equivalent of shoeboxes full of piles of photos. An Emby plugin that could import Photos metadata, making them searchable (essential for end users) would be ideal.

I went through the effort of helping several family members set up Emby on their home TVs (no easy task; the older generation, of which I am rapidly becoming a member, tends to be somewhat technically challenged), but over time it's gotten very stale, and I just haven't had time to go through all of the more recent photos/videos to organize & post. It'd also be amazing if end users had the ability to upload more photos, with access privileges set much like you can assign permissions for which libraries they can see.

@Luke, does the above include anything you've seen mentioned specifically as an obstacle to a plugin like this being developed, or is it simply lack of interest do you think? There are some indicators that folks running Emby server on Macs are in the minority...

On 3/23/2024 at 3:35 PM, sundevil67 said:

I'd still really like to see this. Ideally, the metadata could be passed along as well, so that a keyword search would work, and even identified faces so there'd be clickable names. I've set up my directory structure on my external HD I use for my Emby server in a fairly organized fashion, with extended family in folders according to last name. However I still eat up quite a lot of space by having to duplicate photos when people from different nuclear families appear in the same picture.

If I could set up a semi-automated synchronization, so that when I add new photos to my Mac, my Emby library is updated over the LAN...That can be done with 3rd party software..just required too much time to figure out & set up. Of course Mac Photos uses a unique directory structure (and uses "albums" instead of traditional "folders"), so before you can even think about a mirrored drive/sync, you'd need AppleScript to spit that out into a directory structure Emby can read. I tried migrating to Mylio, primarily for this purpose, because it has powerful tools for syncing between multiple devices, but it was a complete disaster. Unless you have room for a part time job organizing photos, keep away. I lost every bit of work I'd done organizing my 10k+ photo library, and now have the digital equivalent of shoeboxes full of piles of photos. An Emby plugin that could import Photos metadata, making them searchable (essential for end users) would be ideal.

I went through the effort of helping several family members set up Emby on their home TVs (no easy task; the older generation, of which I am rapidly becoming a member, tends to be somewhat technically challenged), but over time it's gotten very stale, and I just haven't had time to go through all of the more recent photos/videos to organize & post. It'd also be amazing if end users had the ability to upload more photos, with access privileges set much like you can assign permissions for which libraries they can see.

@Luke, does the above include anything you've seen mentioned specifically as an obstacle to a plugin like this being developed, or is it simply lack of interest do you think? There are some indicators that folks running Emby server on Macs are in the minority...

Hi, yes I agree that being able to upload a new photo directly from Emby apps would be a good thing to add.

sundevil67
On 3/25/2024 at 2:36 PM, Luke said:

Hi, yes I agree that being able to upload a new photo directly from Emby apps would be a good thing to add.

What are the chances this is something that'd make it in the queue at some point? Do you think there is enough interest?

On 3/31/2024 at 12:01 AM, sundevil67 said:

What are the chances this is something that'd make it in the queue at some point? Do you think there is enough interest?

It's something that comes up from time to time. It's possible for future updates. Thanks.