Roku (Movies) Folder View option

xiosensei

xiosensei

When you are in your movies media. You get the option of picking based on genre, folder view, and movies. When you are in the folder view mode I found a mistake in the UI: All the posters are displayed but so much space in between posters (the image space is designed for landscape image not portrait image). Either allow the option to replace the poster images with thumb or backdrop to fill that empty space. or treat posters as posters and get rid of the empty space.

Edited by xiosensei
  • Like 1

PuffyToesToo

I didn't like that either, but assumed it was by design. This results in only having 3 per row with lots of blank space "padding" each. My posters are all default sizes. This exists in all libraries. I don't see a way to change this view on Roku. 

That is because in "folder view" you only get landscape cards. Then inside this we can put the real image. That is the actual issue at play.

The way the Roku works you do not get to know the type of image before you set the card frame. So we use the "type" to tell which card frame to use to build the grid with. This type is folder. Not very useful.

But we do know it is folder within a movie or tv library type. We can actually display a poster frame when we know it is folder with TV/MOVIE and a square with folder and MUSIC. That is possible. 

But I was told we cannot assume the folder view for movies and tv will be a poster. So we left it a landscape frame.

@@Luke @@ebr Should we use the poster frame when it is folder view within a movie or tv library? That would solve this issue.

Back on November 20th 2018 I made this issue:

Issue #121: Folder View is wonky .. I made this issue way back when about this problem.

Then on March 1st 2019 Luke made this issue:

Issue #263: default images based on thumbs .. Basically #263 is the same as #121.

We need to fix this problem eventually. It will wipe two open issues off the tracker. Kill two birds with one stone. Winning!

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

Thank you speechles! Appreciated.

It is our pleasure. It is more than just me here. Eric/@@ebr does a fine job himself at all he does including all the work he has done so far on the Roku app and continues to do. How @@ebr and @@Luke find so much time to do so much is dedication. I do the same but strictly for Roku. They cover all bases and make working with them a pleasure. I enjoy what we do and working with people who have the same mindset. Makes this much easier to get where we need to be. So you will see alot of action coming soon in areas that were neglected. Now that we have translations we are much closer to other apps. Soon most of the others areas will get attention and updated to match Android TV. Presently that is the goal. If that isn't possible fallback to as close to the web app as possible. You will see a mixture of both on the Roku. The best of both worlds. 

Here are some highlights I can let you know are coming soon:

A way to see the entire overview by putting focus on the overview and click it and open a scrolling text view box where you can read the entire thing!

Amazing... well.. not really.. it is neat though.

The TV season screen won't be that way for long...*hint hint*.. Look at Android TV to see how it will look.

There will also be more work done on LiveTV to get some recording management.. Who wants that? Raise your hand!

Stay tuned..  ^_^

..and @@Gilgamesh_48 I will try to get your request for the title, info row, and 2-line brief summary to appear as you move focus around the poster grid. It is on the road map. I just need to get it past approval. Right now it is in proof-of-concept/prototype/rough draft/revision mode. Very soon it will pass approval through Emby. It has to fit the look/feel of the Emby universe and presently it does not. Once we get that to fit then I can get it to you. This is a process. :)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2

To answer the question yes we should.

Understood. I can get changes to make this work the same in normal view as folder view for movies(poster card), tv(poster card) and music(square card). Any others I should consider non-landscape? The default folder-view for all others types when they land on the poster grid is landscape card.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2

I think that's good.

I will submit changes for this today so we can get it in the very next Beta. Have it done just testing all of it now. It looks really good having folder view work this way.

I am impressed. :)

Especially music by folder view. OMG how useful is that? With the correct presentation this is my new music view. Seriously. ^_^

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

I will submit changes for this today so we can get it in the very next Beta. Have it done just testing all of it now. It looks really good having folder view work this way.

I am impressed. :)

Especially music by folder view. OMG how useful is that? With the correct presentation this is my new music view. Seriously. ^_^

Okay, but this will set us back at least a few days on a new release as all of those changes will need time to be vetted properly.  Please, no other functionality or presentation changes.

Okay, but this will set us back at least a few days on a new release as all of those changes will need time to be vetted properly.  Please, no other functionality or presentation changes.

The two up are really very minor. The one fixes this for Russian on the view tab buttons. These would show 2 rows and leak out of the button box before. Now it centers these vertically as well. The other is fixing the folder view to respect poster for tv/movies and square for music. I understand that this resets our push to store. I will not push anything to GitHub that contains more than bug fixes. I am holding off on those until you are ready. I am working on them on alot but I will hold off on push the PR until you have pushed to store a version. I understand.

The ability to top->bottom and bottom->top wrapping of the LiveTV guide will take me a little more time than normal. It isn't using standard onKeyEvent. It has paging to pull in data. I need to work out how that logic works then adapt it to wrapping. I will not submit changes to this until you have a stable version pushed to store.

Also FLAC we will get working in direct play. I plan on pursue that until I figure out the problem. That is my priority today over all else. FLAC.

Edited by speechles

The ability to top->bottom and bottom->top wrapping of the LiveTV guide will take me a little more time than normal. It isn't using standard onKeyEvent. It has paging to pull in data. I need to work out how that logic works then adapt it to wrapping. I will not submit changes to this until you have a stable version pushed to store.

I don't recall us deciding to do that (no other app does at this point) so just hold off there. Thx.

I don't recall us deciding to do that (no other app does at this point) so just hold off there. Thx.

Convenience. Saving button presses. Imagine having to navigate back to the top of the channel list from the bottom. *horror* *shudder*

The weird part is on the LiveTV grid guide if you have music playing at the top in the overhang is your music icon to adjust the queue or anything else. You can never get to that from the LiveTV grid guide anyways. So I thought why not just wrap top->bottom and bottom->top since do not need to worry about overhang focus since it doesn't anyways. Just keep that behavior and make it wrap. That was the idea. ^_^

That is the main reason I never made the poster grid wrap. The overhang has a music icon possibly. And including that in the wrap seemed weird. You press up it moves to music icon. You press up again it moves to bottom of poster grid. That seemed weird. You then press down from bottom. It pops to overhang focus on music icon. Weird. So I never made the poster grid wrap because of overhang focus potentially required making it weird. We have jump/alpha-picker on the poster grid so it makes up for the lack of wrapping.

Edited by speechles

The answer is to do what we've done in Android TV and have the back button go back to the top of the guide if you are scrolled down, but do not do that right now either as we'll attack that in the next beta.

We are trying to get our apps consistent in behaviors as much as reasonable so we need to make these decisions system-wide.

The answer is to do what we've done in Android TV and have the back button go back to the top of the guide if you are scrolled down, but do not do that right now either as we'll attack that in the next beta.

We are trying to get our apps consistent in behaviors as much as reasonable so we need to make these decisions system-wide.

I understand that. I don't have an Android TV device. I can make due with my 2013 Nexus 7 Tablet. It for the most part can get me the basic idea of what I need to do. But for navigation I have to use the ps3 controller over six-axis app using bluetooth. So I don't actually have a back button on the controller (it might be mapped to some button I am not aware though). But I can see what you mean with the back button on the tablet itself. But most of the time that just closes the app. So my attempt to match Android TV and match the look is very easy. Match the navigation in the UI is harder as I don't have an Android TV. :D

I might pick one up just to ease migrating things from Android TV into the Roku. Not to actually use but to see exactly what you mean when you say use Android TV as the model. Being able to compare screen shots side by side and line them up to get pixel perfect one to the other. This presently I cannot do without having both devices. I throw both up on their own 24 inch monitors (roku and shield) side-by-side and compare by eyeball. Then compare screen shots on the pc from both and create different layers with transparencies and see how the screen shots really compare when overlaid onto each other. I want to be able to do that. I mean so pixel perfect it is literally identical.

Once the nvidia shield has a sale again I'll grab one. ^_~

@@ebr you think these things below are real?

89.99 - https://www.zaffd.com/zbg5449-nvidia-shield-tv-gaming-edition---4k-hdr-streaming-media-player-with-geforce-now

69.99 - https://www.prcedo.com/pu2u203k/nvidia-shield-tv---4k-hdr-streaming-media-player

Those two stupid websites have such a similar design and colors used. Scam? Too cheap to be real? I mean.. buyer beware and all. But are them websites real?

Edited by speechles

@@ebr I fixed that. Apologies. If you revert that from the master branch there is a pending PR that is now based on the correct dev branch. Sorry again.

@@ebr I fixed that. Apologies. If you revert that from the master branch there is a pending PR that is now based on the correct dev branch. Sorry again.

Got it.  No worries.  Thx.

• 1 month later...
PuffyToesToo

The folders view is fantastic now, and aligns with the desktop app. I love it! Thank you!

Edited by PuffyToesToo

The folders view is fantastic now, and aligns with the desktop app. I love it! Thank you!

You are most welcome. :)

Any other questions or concerns you have please keep the coming. We value your feedback both positive and negative. Thanks for helping get us more aligned with how you want your media. It is supposed to be your media your way. Now that it is there we want you to come to expect us to maintain that relationship and keep that promise. If you feel you are not in control of the rudder at any time please turn the wheel. Let us know we are veering too far right/tight(too consistent on every device) or too far left/loose(not consistent enough to every other device) and in which areas in the app. Steering through some of these areas requires a light touch. If you are heavy handed on the wheel you can/will trade paint. To avoid that we need to let you know we intend to keep a smooth course. You shall not/will not be a pawn or game in the system. Your media your way. ^_~

Edited by speechles