Keep title same as file name

mungylee

mungylee

Hi. Newbie here.

Probably a really simple question, but I've had a search and can't find an answer. I'm not even sure what I should be typing in.

Basically, how do I make the title of videos in my library the same as the file name?

I have a lot of tv shows save on my PC with the name 'blahblah.S03E06', 'blahblah.S10E15', etc.

However when they show in my Emby library, they are missing the episode number for some of them (but weirdly not all of them).

Why is this? and how do I make all the videos keep their file names?

See example below (the Hawaii Five-0 episodes do not show the episode name/number, yet the Impractical Joker episodes do).

5cfc478545899_Capture.png

Thanks,  Mark

Happy2Play

Best guess unsupported structure, so technically unidentified media.  What is your exact folder structure and naming scheme?

mungylee

Best guess unsupported structure, so technically unidentified media.  What is your exact folder structure and naming scheme?

Sorry, I don't know, I'm a complete newbie.

I have a folder, with all my videos in it. Some are in additional folders, but only because that's how they were downloaded. Not sure what scheme, i'm afraid.

Wondertje

Sorry, I don't know, I'm a complete newbie.

I have a folder, with all my videos in it. Some are in additional folders, but only because that's how they were downloaded. Not sure what scheme, i'm afraid.

Try typing out your folder structure like this:

Main folder

>TV-show 1

>>>Season 1

>>>>>Episode 1

>>>>>Episode 2

>>>Season 2

>>>>>Episode 1

>TV-show 2

etc. Not all of it, but just to give us an idea of how it looks.

If you don't have a consistent structure (so that it's the same all through the folder) and naming convention (how you name your files) you'll most likely run into problems when Emby tries to identify things.

Edited by Wondertje

Happy2Play

Looks like I took to long....

Emby requires some structure when it comes to Series.  At minimum a series folder for every series. You currently can not just a have a bunch of episodes in a random folder.

Edited by Happy2Play

Alternatively if you have a more random folder structure, then the home videos content type could be a better choice than TV. 

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

mungylee

Thanks guys.

I've tried to create a home vdeos folder instead, but still have the same problem unfortunately.

I just hoped there would be a "use file name as title" tick box hidden somewhere in the settings, but never mind. I can manually rename the individual videos in the metadata. 

I could organise it better, but all my torrent download to my 'downloads' folder. I was hoping to easily access them straight from my smart TV, without having to sort through them.

Cheers

Can you explain exactly what you see in home videos? Because it really should be different there.

mungylee

Can you explain exactly what you see in home videos? Because it really should be different there.

Exactly the same, unfortunately. Some videos have kept their file names, others have shortened it.

post-476903-0-59653200-1560121369_thumb.jpg

If you can organize these as suggested in our docs, you are going to get a MUCH better presentation and a ton more features...

mungylee

Sorry. Just in Italy for week. Some of the videos come in folders with nfo's in them, but the majority are just mp4 or mkv files in my download folder

Sorry. Just in Italy for week. Some of the videos come in folders with nfo's in them, but the majority are just mp4 or mkv files in my download folder

I think you'll find that the ones with nfo files are the ones not displaying as you expect.  But, again, you are really missing out on most of the features of the Emby system.  With just a little bit of organization, you'll get much better displays.

Thanks.

Correct, Emby is most likely just displaying the titles from the nfo files. Those nfo files could have been there prior to installing Emby, or they could have been saved by Emby when you had it as a TV library. Either way, as long as they're present, Emby will read them.

Does this sound like what you're seeing?