Faded playback when shuffling or play all used

supergeek

supergeek

HI 

Long time user, first time poster. First off I love Emby and have been using it for many years but I've had one bug that I just can't figure out. Whenever we use the shuffle feature for a TV series the first episode will play perfect and the remaining episodes will be faded. It looks as though the next episode overlay is always on. I've turned off themes and the next episode info option but still the issue remains.

Emby Server v4.1.1.0

Samsung App v1.0.61

TV Model: ua55j6200

Cheers

Super Geek

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-04a577ff-faf5-4d51-b68f-f6a7a1428791_1.txt

hardware_detection-63695579166.txt

FrostByte

I just tried with a couple of movies and couldn't see the problem.  I can retry with a couple of episodes, but I would expect the same results

Steps

Open collection

Click Shuffle

supergeek

Thanks guys.

Are there any logs on the Samsung TV that could be of use?

Note, I've also tried different (new) user and have also reinstalled the application and am outside of the states so have zone by t.v for it so I can install it. Not sure if any of this is info is applicable but the more info the better.

FrostByte

@@FrostByte when you tested, did you have the next video info overlay enabled?

I leave that option on which I believe is the default.  Supergeek said it didn't make a difference, so I probably didn't try both options.  I'll make sure to do that in the morning. 

@@supergeek does this happen with everything you have?   does it just overlay when it transcodes?  I tried it again with episodes and I'm still not seeing an overlay over the video so I'll probably need to try a could other things

FrostByte

I just tried w and w/o the next info overlay and still not seeing this.  Also, tried forcing transcoding and subtitles and I still can't see the overlay on the next episode.

I'm sure there are others with similar TVs so you would think someone else would be seeing this also, but then I hardly ever auto play another episode so maybe not.

I've also got beta server running.  Though to be honest I wouldn't know if anything has changed on server that would have fixed this.

By chance have you checked to see if you have the latest firmware?  I see version 1530 for your set on Samsung's site.

Did this just start with app v.61, do you know if it was working before the upgrade?  That version is fairly new.

supergeek

Nah I've had this app for a good few years now, bout the same time I got the TV, that's why I tried the re-install. It's always been like this but I've just never really paid much attention to it as I don't auto watch things either. It's normally when the kids are watching cartoons on shuffle that I notice it. 

Yup we are running 1530. I'm in New Zealand so have zoned my TV to allow install. I might try a reset of the TV over the weekend to see if that clears it up.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Edited by supergeek
  • Like 1

supergeek

Ok, the TV reset didn't fix the issue buuuuut I changed the playback quality from auto down to 480p - 420kbps and so far it seems to have resolved the issue. Not sure how this is going to affect things which aren't cartoons but I'll have a play around and see what happens. At least I know where I'm looking now  :)

Well that means you're going to see a lot of server transcoding, which you may not like. I would say that is probably not worth doing, although only you can be the judge of that.

supergeek

I just had it shuffle 3 episodes and it all was going sweet, then on the 4th it stopped about 1min into the episode and went onto the next episode faded. I've attached the transcoding and server logs from this event.

Cheers

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-66b041e1-5b1e-48d9-8d44-15ebd561f7c0_1.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-6b5c87cf-c8b9-4d59-a268-84418b4c3fde_1.txt

I've had this issue for a while on my Samsung TVs where it will fade the next episode, both in shuffle and just playing them in order; emby is not transcoding the video when it happens.  It seems to be something with the way these specific episodes were encoded and I just normally force emby to transcode them to resolve the issue.  

• Like 1

FrostByte

Could someone post the mediainfo for the files that cause this?  Also, if someone could post a sample to a share that might help.

FrostByte

As far as I can tell they are pretty standard files and this issue happens on all files I have but anyway here's a link to one of them.

https://file.io/OFisky

Possibly it's my transcoding settings?

Says page not found.

Which transcoding settings?  I tried with burning in pgs subs.

FrostByte

Okay, I got the episode and copied it four times and clicked shuffle and did not see the problem.  It direct played every time without the shadow.  Preview was on.

My transcode settings are similar, but I'm on a Synology NAS and use VAAPI so not exactly the same.  It shouldn't really matter though because the file doesn't need transcoding and direct plays every time.  

Is the file you posted one of the files which you had problems with?  Does it transcode?  Just that it isn't one of the ones in your logs.  Looking at the specs of your TV it should be able to DP this episode also

https://developer.samsung.com/tv/develop/specifications/media-specifications/2015-tv-video-specifications

Could you take a screen shot of the mediainfo for one of the two shows in your log above and post it?  It might be easier if I had the data for the file which matched your logs.

supergeek

Yup sure, here you go. The one with the brick wall is the first episode and the other is obviously the next.

post-276802-0-47346800-1560816301_thumb.jpg

post-276802-0-72822600-1560816315_thumb.jpg

supergeek

WIth the info you provided about my TV being able to direct play I've disabled transcoding for the user being used on the TV to see if the issue persists. Obviously it's not a long term solution but it'll eliminate or confirm it from being the issue. I'll update you with what I find.

Once again thanks for your help with this. The support is outstanding!

supergeek

I have played at least 6 episodes with transcoding disabled for the user and the results are promising.

The first file plays, next file displays a "no available stream error" then upon clicking OK the next file is played correctly. All following episodes follow the same sequence. All files are reporting in the logs as ""Directplay supported: True"

I've attached the server log for this period which shows the files stopping. 

embyserver.txt