Android TV Seeking Issues During Playback

twistedvincent
Go to solution Solved by hstamas,

twistedvincent

I've been using Emby  for a month now and am almost ready to switch completely from Plex...almost.

I was skipping forward thru a show with Emby and it kept locking up every few seconds and I'd have to wait to continue.  So I opened the same video in Plex and navigation was smooth as silk, no lock ups or freezing at all.  

What can I do? 

twistedvincent

Yes

Wow...that was a quick response....like 2 minutes.

Edited by twistedvincent

Hi.  Can you tell us exactly how you were skipping and exactly what was happening?

twistedvincent

I was simply fast forwarding thru a sporting event. I have it set to skip forward and back 30 seconds each way and I would press try to skip forward a few times and Emby would lock up for a few seconds where for some reason Plex does not.

Are you holding the button down or hitting it repeatedly?

Do you have thumbnails created for this event such that it is going into visual seeking?

Is this an in-progress recording or completed event?

What is the format (container and codec) of this item?

How to Report a Problem

Thanks.

twistedvincent

Are you holding the button down or hitting it repeatedly?   It depends on how far forward I want to go. Usually it's a stop/start type deal, 30 seconds at a time.

Do you have thumbnails created for this event such that it is going into visual seeking?  Yes 

Is this an in-progress recording or completed event? Completed Event

What is the format (container and codec) of this item?  They're .mp4 files

Edited by twistedvincent

What is inside the mp4?  What video and audio codec?  What is the origin of these files?

You're saying that it is jerky even when you are using the visual thumbnail seeking?

Is it possible for you to package one of these in a mkv and see how that compares?

twistedvincent

Now you're losing me.  I completely cut the cord about two years ago and now I download all my TV shows from one forum and all my movies from another.  As a rule the TV shows are all mp4 and my 4k movies are all mkv.  I just gave a quick look and every file seems to be h264 if that helps.

And it's actually not jerky at all, Emby just seems to freeze if I press skip forward more than twice.  I

t's funny you mention about packaging a show in an mkv because one of the sports shows I've been skipping thru as of late actually arrived as an mkv so I'll let you know in a bit.

Thank You

hstamas

Im seeing this issue as well using the latest beta Android TV app on a 2017 Nvidia Shield. Server is a 2012 i7 Mac Mini which gives me no issues using either Emby Theater or Plex.

Lots of pausing and what looks like a few seconds lock up when skipping mostly forward but on occasion backwards as well (directional pad skipping not holding it down). Ive tried all sorts of file types as a long time ago on Plex I had this same issue when ever playing MPEG files in a .ts container but this seems to be happening with every type. H264 MP4 & MKV as well as MPEG MKV. Audio is a mix of DD+, AAC Stereo and AC3. DD+ seems to be causing the most issues in casual observing.

I will get some logs posted tonight.

Edited by hstamas

hstamas

Stopped home for lunch so I tried one.

Playback or the following episode:

Friends s10e12 - 720p mkv, ac3 5.1 audio

Skipping forward causes lots of playback pausing before video will resumes. Sometimes it pauses again quickly on its own after resume as well.

Logs were auto uploaded at 1pm eastern time.

Emby user name: Harry

Nothing has changed in the app here.  We are just doing a straight seek and, for whatever reason, it is taking a few seconds for the new content to be delivered.  Luke may be able to tell something from the server log if you can provide one that lines up with these exact seek operations:

06-10 12:59:08.858 23899 23899 I System.out: Seeking to 125926
06-10 12:59:08.858 23899 23899 I System.out: Container: mkv
06-10 12:59:08.859 23899 23899 D EventLogger: seekStarted [8.66, 95.93, window=0, period=0]
06-10 12:59:08.859 23899 23899 D EventLogger: positionDiscontinuity [8.66, 125.93, window=0, period=0, SEEK]
06-10 12:59:08.859 23899 23899 I System.out: **** Time Left: 1647304
06-10 12:59:08.865 23899 23899 D EventLogger: state [8.67, 125.93, window=0, period=0, true, BUFFERING]
06-10 12:59:08.865 23899 23899 I System.out: ******** Exoplayer state change to: true/2
06-10 12:59:08.865 23899 23899 D EventLogger: seekProcessed [8.67, 125.93, window=0, period=0]
06-10 12:59:12.024 23899 23899 D EventLogger: renderedFirstFrame [11.83, 125.93, window=0, period=0, Surface(name=null)/@0xc05bb70]

You can see the app requesting the seek and the player processing it instantly but the first frame isn't rendered until over 3 seconds later.

(this item is statically streaming through the server)

Edit: I just had a thought that it is very possible this is related to the Shield firmware bug.  Is everyone experiencing this with direct streaming on a Shield...?

hstamas

Nothing has changed in the app here.  We are just doing a straight seek and, for whatever reason, it is taking a few seconds for the new content to be delivered.  Luke may be able to tell something from the server log if you can provide one that lines up with these exact seek operations:

06-10 12:59:08.858 23899 23899 I System.out: Seeking to 125926
06-10 12:59:08.858 23899 23899 I System.out: Container: mkv
06-10 12:59:08.859 23899 23899 D EventLogger: seekStarted [8.66, 95.93, window=0, period=0]
06-10 12:59:08.859 23899 23899 D EventLogger: positionDiscontinuity [8.66, 125.93, window=0, period=0, SEEK]
06-10 12:59:08.859 23899 23899 I System.out: **** Time Left: 1647304
06-10 12:59:08.865 23899 23899 D EventLogger: state [8.67, 125.93, window=0, period=0, true, BUFFERING]
06-10 12:59:08.865 23899 23899 I System.out: ******** Exoplayer state change to: true/2
06-10 12:59:08.865 23899 23899 D EventLogger: seekProcessed [8.67, 125.93, window=0, period=0]
06-10 12:59:12.024 23899 23899 D EventLogger: renderedFirstFrame [11.83, 125.93, window=0, period=0, Surface(name=null)/@0xc05bb70]

You can see the app requesting the seek and the player processing it instantly but the first frame isn't rendered until over 3 seconds later.

(this item is statically streaming through the server)

Edit: I just had a thought that it is very possible this is related to the Shield firmware bug.  Is everyone experiencing this with direct streaming on a Shield...?

Logs from today attached.

Im really starting to dislike my Shield. @@ebr, can you point me to any discussions about this firmware issue? Its news to me.

Hoping something can be done as this is highly annoying. The quest to find a satisfactory Emby client continues I guess :(

FFMPEG 1.txt

FFMPEG 2.txt

Server.txt

Edited by hstamas

Any ffmpeg logs are from something else as the above item was statically streaming.

can you point me to any discussions about this firmware issue? Its news to me.

TONS of discussion in a couple topics out here but all you really need to know is that they introduced a problem in their network layer around about 7.1 or 2 of their firmware.  They have confirmed the problem and confirmed it fixed in their next firmware but there is no information yet on when that will be released.

Nvidia Shield TV- Playback will pause constantly

twistedvincent

Let us know how you get on. Thanks.

Well I tried the mkv file and the same thing happens.

hstamas

What is your shield firmware version?

Mine is 7.2.3

I’m hoping to get in on the patched 7.2.3+ firmware discussed on the Nvidia boards to see if that helps.

Will report back.

Figures that as soon as @@ebr so kindly adds a direct way to get back to the shields home screen, making this client usable to my family again this pops up! I need to get me a less OCD family I think!

Edited by hstamas

• Solution
hstamas

Got the engineering firmware talked about here (first post has a link where you can sign up for the download):

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1110161/shield-tv/shield-experience-upgrade-7-2-3-test-image/

I still need to do more testing but the file I sent logs for yesterday skips forward and back instantly. No delay what so ever.

@@ebr, I can up.oad another log if you need me to to see the difference. Just let me know.

People interested in trying this know that this developer version is also named 7.2.3 but it is different.

Edited by hstamas
  • Like 1

twistedvincent

Shield 7.2.3

Edited by twistedvincent

Got the engineering firmware talked about here (first post has a link where you can sign up for the download):

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1110161/shield-tv/shield-experience-upgrade-7-2-3-test-image/

I still need to do more testing but the file I sent logs for yesterday skips forward and back instantly. No delay what so ever.

@@ebr, I can up.oad another log if you need me to to see the difference. Just let me know.

People interested in trying this know that this developer version is also named 7.2.3 but it is different.

Great to hear.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
twistedvincent

What is your shield firmware version?

I'm sorry, I've been unable to respond and the issue persists. 

Edited by twistedvincent

I'm sorry, I've been unable to respond and the issue persists. 

Hi.  Yes, we're waiting on NVidia to release the update to the Shield firmware. Unfortunately, we have no information on when that will be.

twistedvincent

Hi.  Yes, we're waiting on NVidia to release the update to the Shield firmware. Unfortunately, we have no information on when that will be.

Well guess what, I went over to the Nvidia board and installed the firmware image developer update and BANG!, everything's working like a charm!

Thank God because I had to resort to using my little 90.00 Roku, which would be fine except after using my shield exclusively for a year and a half I'm spoiled and feel like in in the stone age.

So, problem solved for now. Hstmas was nice enough to chat briefly w/me and assured me it was fairly safe and I probably wouldn't screw things up too bad. 

Very cool of him.

Oh, I also figured I'd install  Emby beta 4.2.0.211 for good measure and so far it's working like a charm.

I feel smarter than normal today...

Cheers

Oh, I also figured I'd install  Emby beta 4.2.0.211 for good measure and so far it's working like a charm.

I feel smarter than normal today...

Edited by twistedvincent