Intel Quicksync ffmpeg doesn't support 10bit

xunix

xunix

Hey everyone.

I would like to ask about Intel Quicksync with ffmpeg, I tried to encode 10bit h264 by ffmpeg but it seems that Intel Quicksync  doesn't support h264 10bit unlike hevc, so anyone have idea and if I'm mistaken plz inform me.

PenkethBoy

depends on you cpu - have you checked the intel specs for your cpu to see if it can do 10bit h264 (why do you want to do this?) 

xunix

depends on you cpu - have you checked the intel specs for your cpu to see if it can do 10bit h264 (why do you want to do this?) 

How to check if my intel specs support 10bit h264?

by the way when I used this command <-pix_fmt yuv420p> I got this error massage:

Incompatible pixel format for codec h264_qsv, auto-selecting format 'nv12'

Edited by xunix

PenkethBoy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video - see here

unless its version 6 or 7 - cpu it does not fully support 10 bit hevc

10 bit h264 is not supported by any HW acceleration

it was only used for some anime - hence why nobody bothered with it

If you use google you can find this info easy enough

xunix

I would like to know if Intel QSV support encoding in 10 bit hevc 4:4:4 Bit depth chroma subsampling  instead of 420p ?

KarlDag

I would like to know if Intel QSV support encoding in 10 bit hevc4:4:4 Bit depth chroma subsampling instead of 420p ?

Intel QSV isn't "a single thing" in itself, each generation of Intel iGPUs has different support for different codecs. You need to look up what your CPU can do.

Edited by KarlDag

• 1 month later...
curtis03

So I recently got a QNAP 451+, which has quad core Celeron J1900 chip. I can actually run a 1080p 10bit file, but not so not so with several other ones from different series. However it maxes out the CPUs. Would the Premier Service that unlocks hardware transcoding (and thus Intel quick-syncing) help any?

curtis03

Okay, I went ahead and got a 1 month subscription for hardware transcoding, just to see how it works out. While the QNAP 451+ can't do hardware 10bit, it is capable of doing it in software, which is why it maxes out the processors. Enabling the hardware transcoding on Emby (no Intel quick-sync option unfortunatly) only helped with various functions of the transcoding (maybe audio or some other aspect). But there is a marked improvement.

Here are my results (keep an eye on the pink and green lines).

1080p 10bit = No HW 100% -> With HW 70-50% (When stable 20% with regular spikes of 50%)

1080p 10bit No HW

5d37b739c0771_1080p10bitNoHW.png

1080p 10bit with HW

5d378fee3c58f_1080p10bit.png

720p 10bit = 80% -> With HW 70-50% (When stable 20% with regular spikes of 50%).

720p 10bit No HW

5d37b910d5525_720p10bitNoHW.png

720p 10bit with HW

5d37a632292ce_720p10bit.png

8bit no problems and no HW (720p = 15%)

Sometimes the CPU usage is consistent, but after a while the CPU values fluctuate wildly. I believe this is due to the system catching up and buffering ahead. Once it catches up, it drops to idle, then reads some more, thus resulting in the fluctuations.I would say 720p 10bit should be fine for the QNAP 451+ with the HW transcoding on. 1080p 10bit is also do-able, but I wouldn't have more than one stream going.

Thanks for the feedback. Are there any subtitles involved and if so, what format? Certain features such as burning in subtitles will require CPU involvement, and thus cannot be fully offloaded to the GPU.

Well if those are burning in then you'd see higher cpu usage even with the gpu enabled.

curtis03

Here are my logs with "Allow subtitle extraction on the fly" disabled. It plays for around 3sec and pauses for 2-4sec and continues this stuttering cycle. CPU usage is slightly lower 35% (last big block was the sample run).

The original examples I showed were with "Allow subtitle extraction on the fly" enabled, which played smoothly.

5d3db3fbcae5e_Capture.png

FfmpegTranscode.txt

Server logs.txt

Here are my logs with "Allow subtitle extraction on the fly" disabled. It plays for around 3sec and pauses for 2-4sec and continues this stuttering cycle. CPU usage is slightly lower 35% (last big block was the sample run).

The original examples I showed were with "Allow subtitle extraction on the fly" enabled, which played smoothly.

5d3db3fbcae5e_Capture.png

Because when you don't allow extraction on the fly the only way to play the subtitles is to burn them in with transcoding. This will result in significantly higher resource consumption, and in your case, your machine was just not able to transcode it fast enough. Burning in subtitles is a taxing process, even for powerful machines.

The setting is not meant to be a personal preference, where you can just flip it either way and expect it to perform well. It's something that you leave enabled unless you have a specific reason to turn it off.

Please let us know if this helps.

• 10 months later...
curtis03

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but my prior stats here are useful for comparison.

So, sometime in the last 2-4 months, I believe an Emby update resulted in 1080p HVEC/10bit playback being less efficient. In the past playback was around 70-80% on overage high with up/down that gave the processor some breathing room. Now, with the stable release, its maxing the whole time. I went to the newest beta 4.5.0.13 to see if some of the new changes might help, but it was minimal (see graph below).

image.png.ce783f6305e21826420fc07af30aebbf.png

This is on the same video file I tested prior, and nothing else going. I even downgraded the QNAP to an older version that I don't think had issues. I've been searching for a while trying to find an old QNAP package of Emby to try downgrading for testing, but having difficulty finding them. Any thoughts?

ffmpeg-transcode-4d8e9b84-7f8b-47d5-8a4f-1303bb50f953_1.txt

rbjtech

The CPU in your NAS (a Celeron J1900) is from 2013 and was never designed for heavy CPU transcoding.  Even if it does offload the decoding/re-encoding it still has many other CPU/Memory dependent processes to achieve the end-end process. 

Unless you get direct play working, I think you may have to accept that your 7 year old NAS technology is not going to be able to cope with current CODEC transcoding demands..

curtis03
2 hours ago, rbjtech said:

The CPU in your NAS (a Celeron J1900) is from 2013 and was never designed for heavy CPU transcoding.  Even if it does offload the decoding/re-encoding it still has many other CPU/Memory dependent processes to achieve the end-end process. 

Unless you get direct play working, I think you may have to accept that your 7 year old NAS technology is not going to be able to cope with current CODEC transcoding demands..

Thanks for the feedback, and I am aware it is all running in software for 10bit/h265/HVEC due to older CPUs. However, as mentioned in my prior posts, I was able to run them before at max 70-80% CPU usage, which was within reason. But now they are running at 100%. So I suspect there was a change to the decoder that resulted in worse performance of the CPU.

• 2 weeks later...
curtis03

I would also settle for someone pointing me to the old Emby versions for QNAP, so I can test things out.

Have you updated to Emby Server 4.4.3? Can you please attach an example log from that? Thanks.