------%discnumber%%tracknumber% - %atrist% - %title%

----album2

etc.

in the process i've also renamed, and retagged the mp3's and made sure they are all consistent, however emby seems to be having an issue with some of the artists, lets start with various artists for example, I'f i remove the id3tag albumartist, then emby shows the album as being made by a random artist with a song on that album. If the album artist tag is set to "Various Artists" emby shows it as various, and i end up with two artists, "various", and "various artists"

All id3tags are present and correct, with, as far as i can see, nothing giving this information.

5cfa1cb01a4db_now102snip.png

The artist "various" has been removed from the metadata folder, and all metadata is stored with the files.

5cfa1d8072779_mediabrowserdata.png

I've also cleaned the database  using this guide.

I've attached a few screenshots to try and explain the issue a little better.

post-4144-0-32244200-1559895916_thumb.png

post-4144-0-88812600-1559895925_thumb.png

post-4144-0-95358000-1559895931_thumb.png

Wondertje

And you're sure you don't have other files that actually are tagged "Various"?

karldonteljames

I'm quite confident. Why would albums such as now 102 show up under various if I know they are tagged as "various artists" (shown in screen shots)? 

karldonteljames

This is another example, this album is showing as eminem as the artist, when it shoudl be showing as X Ambassadors, and as you can see that the track tag's do not contain any information relating to eminem. lol

5cfa5417287cc_VHSEminem.png

5cfa543f81764_VHSEminemtrackmetadata.png

karldonteljames

ok, so this seems to be linked to the album.nfo information, Emby seems to be populating the following fields:

<musicbrainzalbumid></musicbrainzalbumid>
  <musicbrainzalbumartistid></musicbrainzalbumartistid>
  <musicbrainzreleasegroupid>/musicbrainzreleasegroupid>
with 
"usicBrainz Release Group Id"
on some albums, for example, James bay's album "electric light" albums was attributed to eminem, after updating the first two fields:
  <musicbrainzalbumid>9daa68b9-d2f9-43ea-aecd-f8a594a0ed6a</musicbrainzalbumid>
  <musicbrainzalbumartistid>6a997121-0919-482b-a91b-c6fe1b55a4b9</musicbrainzalbumartistid>

it has detected the album correctly.

is this a bug with emby server filling in details?

karldonteljames

The links in this screenshot for musicbrainz and TheAudioDB are correct and linking to "various Artists", but still shows as "various"

5cfa92cf4e96e_various.png

karldonteljames

Disabling emby writing to .nfo files seems to have, in part, resolved the issue.

For some albums it was filling the <musicbrainzalbumartistid></musicbrainzalbumartistid> section, with something like "usicbrainz albumartistid" 

which was causing problems with non various artists albums.

now i need to try and find out why various artists are showing as various.

karldonteljames

I ended up editing the metadata and just changing the title to "Various Artists" as the rest of teh data it had was correct. This seems to have fixed that problem.

is it possible that this is related to this post? https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/74166-only-first-name-being-displayed-for-music-artist/

I tried to remove the music library and re-add it, but it has started indexing with "various" again.

I've also checked all versions of the id3tag.

No. I can promise you that thread is not an issue with the server but rather with the embedded track information. Once we ask them enough questions and get to the bottom of their metadata, we will find that "Various" entry somewhere.

This is another example, this album is showing as eminem as the artist, when it shoudl be showing as X Ambassadors, and as you can see that the track tag's do not contain any information relating to eminem. lol

5cfa5417287cc_VHSEminem.png

5cfa543f81764_VHSEminemtrackmetadata.png

Check if the tracks are embedded with musicbrainz ids, and check that the embedded metadata for all of the possible id3 versions, as you'll be surprised what you might find embedded in your files. @@ginjaninja may have some tips on that.

Also if you have album.nfo files, check the info there as that's another place where it could be.

karldonteljames

Hi Luke, i've been checking all the metadata on my music, i think i have removed most of the useless information from the id3 tags.

It was just strange that emby was writing the musicbrains into the album.nfo but the info wasnt correct. - not sure where it was getting from.

karldonteljames

Hi Luke, Is it possible for the emby sever to:

1. Embed the albumart into the mp3 (with the option to remove or keep old images) or
  2. Add the itunes formatted album art (again by either adding or replacing)

ginjaninja

Check if the tracks are embedded with musicbrainz ids, and check that the embedded metadata for all of the possible id3 versions, as you'll be surprised what you might find embedded in your files. @@ginjaninja may have some tips on that.

Also if you have album.nfo files, check the info there as that's another place where it could be.

9 times out of 10 its the data in the tags or the nfo

i would remove all nfos and stop using nfos until you have got to the bottom of the issue, nfos are just  another source of potential problems.

I would configure your favourite tagging program to remove all ID3 tag versions save the,one you want. (ID3V2 2.3 UTF 16 is the one i use in mp3 tag)

i use mp3tag ..right click 'extended tags' to 100% check the embedded tags..

last but not least run ffprobe against the file to see what it sees for the tags, its another opportunity to spot anomalies but also ffprobe can interpret 1 tag string for something else in rare cases. (Emby uses the output of ffprobe)

That said I do not believe emby has been rock solid in music library ingestion/presentation for some time.

This article and the linked one seem to be showing evidence of artist name truncation, Paul McCartney to Paul and Various Artists to Various, i have not seen this myself..but perhaps more than a coincidence.

What i have seen and reproduced, is artists are named incorrectly in the ui (when the tags are indeed  correct) because the tags are filtered through the emby magic and musicbrainz matching, into what i can only describe as as a 'virtual name' for presentation in the ui.

or to say it more directly ...a tag can indeed become something different in ui,

it is worth checking the musicbrainz id in the emby database for the 'various' entry (for any object which you think is incorrect) - a wrong musicbrainz match can change the name i believe.

• 2 years later...
ash21uk

Having an issue with various artist albums when I add them they sorting as different albums and not one under albums and newly added on my home page, but under folder they are in one folder, I don't understand why, screen shot is of my albums page u can see how the same album is displayed a nunber of times 

Screenshot_20210620-094556_Emby.jpg

pwhodges

To display as a single album you need to have the "Album Artist" metadata the same in all tracks as well as the album name.  For a compilation album, the usual value would be "Various Artists" - the individual track artists are stored in the "Artist" metadata field.

Paul