• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#81 slidvendetta OFFLINE  

slidvendetta

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Local time: 06:39 AM

Posted 02 August 2019 - 12:42 PM

I know that no product is 100% for every user. It does help when you do have problems that there is a competent and responsive support system in place to get issues resolved. This is the primary reason that I stopped using Plex DVR. There are post on the Plex forums over a year old with many customers having the same issues and the lack of response from Plex is unacceptable. I finally get a response from Plex after tagging (pinging) the CTO and Co-founder in my responses.

#82 TylerV76 OFFLINE  

TylerV76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 485 posts
  • Local time: 09:39 AM

Posted 02 August 2019 - 01:02 PM

I know that no product is 100% for every user. It does help when you do have problems that there is a competent and responsive support system in place to get issues resolved. This is the primary reason that I stopped using Plex DVR. There are post on the Plex forums over a year old with many customers having the same issues and the lack of response from Plex is unacceptable. I finally get a response from Plex after tagging (pinging) the CTO and Co-founder in my responses.

Absolutely, that is Plex’s biggest issue. Both softwares have issues but the problem is they dont happen for everyone. Alot of folks here can use Emby Live TV. Myself and others cannot. I use Plex Live TV with no issues and others cannot.

It never used to be this way when it was just HTPC’s running xbmc or wmc. Now with all the server options and players its become a bit of a headache.

But what cracks me up is people who claim one is better than the other for everyone. Thats simply not the case anymore. Its all personal preference based on what you value fully working or not. What works for you may in fact be broken for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#83 Spaceboy OFFLINE  

Spaceboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3891 posts
  • Local time: 02:39 PM

Posted 03 August 2019 - 12:05 PM

Only beta I use is the android tv. Live tv has been unusable on all my other devices for months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i meant server rather than app.

#84 Protektor OFFLINE  

Protektor

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Local time: 08:39 AM

Posted 18 October 2019 - 05:53 AM

I wish people would stop saying that Jellyfin stole the Emby source code. Emby chose to use open source software with a GPL license and then to turn around license their code GPL as well. Emby like most open source projects in the past shot themselves in the foot like many other open source project when Emby went to requiring a CLA and signing over your copyright to them in order to contribute. Every open source project I have been involved with died the moment they started doing this and some of them then went close source later and blamed the open source community for not contributing. Why would I sign over my copyright if you can close it up later? The whole point of contributing to open source project is to keep it open source, thus you keep your copyright so they can't close it on you.

Jellyfin didn't steal anything. They admit they forked Emby, and just like LibreOffice is a fork of OpenOffice, and just like MariaDB is a fork of MySQL, when the open source community didn't like where they were going. It happens and that is the nature and the joy of the GPL and the open source community. You can't force anyone to do anything and if they don't like what you are doing then they can fork the code and do their own thing. It is not stealing, it is a feature of the license.

#85 Spaceboy OFFLINE  

Spaceboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3891 posts
  • Local time: 02:39 PM

Posted 18 October 2019 - 05:58 AM

I wish people would stop saying that Jellyfin stole the Emby source code. Emby chose to use open source software with a GPL license and then to turn around license their code GPL as well. Emby like most open source projects in the past shot themselves in the foot like many other open source project when Emby went to requiring a CLA and signing over your copyright to them in order to contribute. Every open source project I have been involved with died the moment they started doing this and some of them then went close source later and blamed the open source community for not contributing. Why would I sign over my copyright if you can close it up later? The whole point of contributing to open source project is to keep it open source, thus you keep your copyright so they can't close it on you.

Jellyfin didn't steal anything. They admit they forked Emby, and just like LibreOffice is a fork of OpenOffice, and just like MariaDB is a fork of MySQL, when the open source community didn't like where they were going. It happens and that is the nature and the joy of the GPL and the open source community. You can't force anyone to do anything and if they don't like what you are doing then they can fork the code and do their own thing. It is not stealing, it is a feature of the license.

thanks for resurrecting that corpse
  • chef, CBers, PenkethBoy and 1 other like this

#86 vdatanet OFFLINE  

vdatanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 916 posts
  • Local time: 03:39 PM
  • LocationCalafell, Spain

Posted 18 October 2019 - 06:01 AM

thanks for resurrecting that corpse

Halloween is coming and the corpses leave their graves.

• CBers likes this

#87 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2779 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:00 AM

Wait!

Jellyfin? Heard of it but why? Emby is doing everything I need!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
  • chef likes this

#88 pir8radio OFFLINE  

pir8radio

NGINX

• Members
  • 2919 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 18 October 2019 - 09:51 AM

i think the idea was jellyfin dint require any payment to emby premiere..   all of the "open source" holy high-roaders  aside, that was the main purpose of the fork in my opinion, legal cracking....  lol 

Edited by pir8radio, 18 October 2019 - 09:52 AM.

#89 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2779 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 10:54 AM

I paid $10 directly to Eric when MB 3.x started for lifetime. I pay monthly now and again to support the developers too. I don't mind paying someone for their efforts. The Emby crew have done a fantastic job so why jump ship?

• clarkss12 likes this

#90 EODCrafter OFFLINE  

EODCrafter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 783 posts
  • LocationSouthEastern USA

Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:44 PM

I paid $10 directly to Eric when MB 3.x started for lifetime. I pay monthly now and again to support the developers too. I don't mind paying someone for their efforts. The Emby crew have done a fantastic job so why jump ship?

JellyFin does just enough to see how good Emby is, then people come here and subscribe! I think Emby should thank JF as it shows how great a Dev @Luke is.

Edited by EODCrafter, 18 October 2019 - 02:44 PM.

#91 Jdiesel OFFLINE  

Jdiesel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2681 posts
  • Local time: 07:39 AM
  • LocationRegina, SK

Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:50 PM

I think the honeymoon period is starting to wear off on those who were so eager to jump ship. Turns out new features don't just appear overnight.

• chef likes this

#92 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2779 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 04:53 PM

LOL. Installation procedure states, "Upgrade to Emby version 3.5.2, so that the database schema is fully up-to-date and consistent. While this is not required, it can help reduce the possibility of obscure bugs in the database."

#93 Protektor OFFLINE  

Protektor

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted Today, 02:29 AM

LOL. Installation procedure states, "Upgrade to Emby version 3.5.2, so that the database schema is fully up-to-date and consistent. While this is not required, it can help reduce the possibility of obscure bugs in the database."

Actually the install docs say you might be able to upgrade from Emby to Jellyfin but they don't recommend it because of changes. So this is actually incorrect. You more often than not end up with a corrupted database. It is better to do a fresh install of Jellyfin.

#94 Protektor OFFLINE  

Protektor

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted Today, 02:33 AM

i think the idea was jellyfin dint require any payment to emby premiere..   all of the "open source" holy high-roaders  aside, that was the main purpose of the fork in my opinion, legal cracking....  lol 

This is hilarious. How do you crack open source GPL software where all the source code is released? It's like saying Red Hat pirated Linux from Slackware just so they could sell out to IBM years later. You do know that CentOS is a copy of Red Hat without the Red Hat logos and trademark and CentOS is 100% free? It makes absolutely no sense to say this and it happens all the time in the open source community.

What's even funnier is someone named pirate accusing others of pirating software.

Edited by Protektor, Today, 02:36 AM.

#95 Abobader OFFLINE  

Abobader

Super-Tester

• Administrators
  • 9403 posts
  • Local time: 04:39 PM

Posted Today, 03:34 AM

Good day,

@Protektor

I do not see a point here, you reply to over 2 moths old thread, about a project that fork Emby code when the time was allowed for it, ok we done here, this thread should be closed from some time ago, but we like to hear users point of view, we done with that as well.

You have a good word for that project, I guess best place to be where that project forum/community are, or any place you pleased, but not here, and thanks for your understanding.

My best

#96 adamstewiegreen OFFLINE  

adamstewiegreen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 274 posts
  • Local time: 01:39 AM

Posted Today, 04:50 AM

What's even funnier is someone named pirate accusing others of pirating software.

His alias is pir8radio, which is a radio station that operates without the proper licenses and has nothing to do with computer software...

and yes I think @Abobader is right, this thread needs to be closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users