#21 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 15767 posts
  • Local time: 12:54 AM
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 07 June 2019 - 04:28 PM

But there has not been a response to anything addressed in the first post.  You even have a Admin ask for follow up on your issues.  What features?  What stability issues?  As for updates Emby is continuously updated so you are obviously after something specific, but no one can read minds here.  Why does anyone post if they are not going to be specific?

Moving topic to general discussion.

Edited by Happy2Play, 07 June 2019 - 04:45 PM.

#22 Rosario Family OFFLINE  

Rosario Family

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Local time: 03:54 AM

Posted 07 June 2019 - 04:44 PM

Updated the thread!

But there has not been a response to anything addressed in the first topic. You even has a Admin ask for follow up on your issues. What features? What stability issues? As for updates Emby is continuously updates so you are obviously after something specific, but no one can read minds here. Why does anyone post if they are not going to be specific?

Moving topic to general discussion.

#23 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2780 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 04:45 PM

Too much drama.

Unsubscribed.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
  • Rosario Family likes this

#24 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5480 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 04:49 PM

Kid you don't even know what you talking about! They have been like 3 updates saying that they fix the IPTV issue and still there, last 2 updates that were lease wipe out my database and I had build it again and I did reported this but no one did anyobecause there's nothing they can do when something like this happen I have my reasons why I want to leave at the moment and if I want to close the thread is my choice because I was the one who open it. Don't be a ass kisser and don't put your nose where no one call you. Everyone attacking me because I want to leave or because I don't post my issues which I did in the thread and in other posts, just because doesn't appear to you a good excuse for me to leave that's your problem!!!

Lets start off by not calling each other names. Especially names that are wrong. Call me old man. Then you are at least partially correct. Is 50 old? Maybe.. Probably.. Age is relative to your perception of how much time you have left. Age is but a number not a reflection of wisdom, intelligence, or kindness. So knowing this the oldest man in the room might be a jack ass and the youngest man the most kept together and wise. You never know. So to make an assumption that I would perhaps be making fun of you? There is no mocking here. Only questions.

See how I knew this had to be IPTV related. That is because I can see what others miss. I can tell the most likely thing. You are mad. That much is clear. There is no need to be that way sir. We both are people. You have a family per your username implies. Lets just be friendly. No need to say anyone has attacked you. This is kind debate sir. Here have a beer, or a milkshake or whatever you drink. Have a chair. Let us debate. Rather than type all this text that does no good. Let us help you.

BTW. Let me enlighten you.

I happen to "WORK" for emby. I am also a developer of their "ROKU" app. You are talking to the right people and have been all along. We are team Emby. Nice to meet you.

So putting that together. I am doing this as a customer service to both you and for us. To learn why a customer such as yourself finds issues but will not disclose them to us. We just want to make things better. Don't call us names. It isn't nice and I didn't do that to you. We can work together to solve your issue possibly. Without knowing what those issues are you put us at a severe disadvantage. We don't understand. We might never.

So please help us understand. In this thread please. This helps others see that we do our job. So let us do our job.

How can we help you? Where do you have the issue? Lets start over. Thanks. :)

Just mention what with IPTV is annoying you. Mention it here even if you have mentioned it here or anywhere else before.

lets start over completely fresh. New beginning.

Edited by speechles, 07 June 2019 - 04:53 PM.

• Sammy, skidmarks, Spaceboy and 2 others like this

#25 Rosario Family OFFLINE  

Rosario Family

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 05:12 PM

First I would like to apologize, the way that came out was not the best. Here is my first post:
Emby is been lacking in updates, features and stability which makes me leave.
Is been like 3 softwares updates that they mention about the IPTV timestamp been fix but still doesn't work,Last 2 updates broke my database and I had to start from scratch because of it. In my mobile phone the app crashes intermittent,the release updates are lacking and when they release one they break other things.

Hopefully in the future everything works out for good but at the moment is just not for me.

Lets start off by not calling each other names. Especially names that are wrong. Call me old man. Then you are at least partially correct. Is 50 old? Maybe.. Probably.. Age is relative to your perception of how much time you have left. Age is but a number not a reflection of wisdom, intelligence, or kindness. So knowing this the oldest man in the room might be a jack ass and the youngest man the most kept together and wise. You never know. So to make an assumption that I would perhaps be making fun of you? There is no mocking here. Only questions.

See how I knew this had to be IPTV related. That is because I can see what others miss. I can tell the most likely thing. You are mad. That much is clear. There is no need to be that way sir. We both are people. You have a family per your username implies. Lets just be friendly. No need to say anyone has attacked you. This is kind debate sir. Here have a beer, or a milkshake or whatever you drink. Have a chair. Let us debate. Rather than type all this text that does no good. Let us help you.

BTW. Let me enlighten you.

I happen to "WORK" for emby. I am also a developer of their "ROKU" app. You are talking to the right people and have been all along. We are team Emby. Nice to meet you.

So putting that together. I am doing this as a customer service to both you and for us. To learn why a customer such as yourself finds issues but will not disclose them to us. We just want to make things better. Don't call us names. It isn't nice and I didn't do that to you. We can work together to solve your issue possibly. Without knowing what those issues are you put us at a severe disadvantage. We don't understand. We might never.

So please help us understand. In this thread please. This helps others see that we do our job. So let us do our job.
How can we help you? Where do you have the issue? Lets start over. Thanks. :)

Just mention what with IPTV is annoying you. Mention it here even if you have mentioned it here or anywhere else before.
lets start over completely fresh. New beginning.

Edited by CBers, 08 June 2019 - 02:51 AM.

#26 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5480 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 05:27 PM

Some of the updates when updating to new server versions will include DB changes and migration. Those will require rebuilding the Database and usually are done internally as the server updates and nothing in your DB is disturbed. The order is kept the sanity. When things go awry it is because we are a rather small team of dedicated people. We don't have access to everything that exists that people using Emby may be using. But we do want a kick ass media player as much as you do. We just may not have the same equipment as you or access to some of the IPTV streams you do. We don't experience the issues. We cannot fix what we do not see. We rely on users with that equipment and their server logs to light the path to salvation.

We are all the time moving forward. Always in motion. Always becoming better. Please take the chance every now and then to check back on this thread and see where it has gone and what it has seen. It is your thread. You can come back and "water it" so to speak to let us know if anything has gotten better when you re-evaluate. Next time instead of bye bye emby this becomes "hello again". We want you happy. We want your media your way. When you come back make sure to mention where we need to keep our focus. We love feedback both good and bad. It keeps us honest. Thanks. ^_^

Edited by speechles, 07 June 2019 - 05:31 PM.

• Sammy, clarkss12, darkassassin07 and 1 other like this

#27 Blueeyiz702 OFFLINE  

Blueeyiz702

Advanced

• Members
  • 748 posts
  • LocationLaying My Mom to Rest In Piece.(August 1941-August 2018)

Posted 08 June 2019 - 12:18 PM

You Can Lead A Horse to Water,But You Can't Make It Drink.

#28 abescalamis OFFLINE  

abescalamis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 02:15 PM

@Rosario Family, has a good point, I've noticed the same thing too, when a server version gets release, it fixes some and brake other things, then you would have to wait for the next release that it takes around a month to come.

Luke should first release after moving out of beta a "RC", then let the users report the bugs, and then the official release should follow. The beta testers do a great job, I've also seen a lot of functions that stop working.

#29 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 47023 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 03:04 PM

Luke should first release after moving out of beta a "RC", then let the users report the bugs, and then the official release should follow. The beta testers do a great job, I've also seen a lot of functions that stop working.

Hi.  How would that be different from the current beta process?   What you are describing is just the end of the beta phase...

#30 abescalamis OFFLINE  

abescalamis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 04:26 PM

Hi.  How would that be different from the current beta process?   What you are describing is just the end of the beta phase...

The way I mean would make the official release a "RC", then you guys should push it to all users, then the team should give 3 days for users to start reporting bugs, the beta testers do a good job, but there is a lot of bugs reported after a official releases, and then you will have to wait for the next update that takes a month or two.

What I mean is for an extra release!!!

Edited by abescalamis, 10 June 2019 - 04:28 PM.

#31 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 47023 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 04:32 PM

We almost always follow up releases with a maintenance release in a week or two or even quicker if critical issues are found.

Is there a specific issue to which you are referring where this didn't happen?

#32 PenkethBoy OFFLINE  

PenkethBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3392 posts
  • Local time: 08:54 AM
  • LocationWarrington,UK

Posted 10 June 2019 - 04:38 PM

And how does that help?

the beta releases are tested by users and bugs reported

sometimes things get missed as not every option gets tested or users have a typical setups - thats going to be no different with a RC

#33 Rosario Family OFFLINE  

Rosario Family

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 04:45 PM

Please don't attack me! But I think that the updates have to be more organize and faster than now. Everytime I see the changelog I dont see anything new that gets my attention. and I know that there's other apps that have to be work on but you should have a team for separate things no the same team for everything because you guys will never finish the update.

#34 abescalamis OFFLINE  

abescalamis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 05:25 PM

@ebr

That is exactly my point.....  you guys move to quickly to work to the next version and by the time that people reports the bugs you guys tell them to wait for the next version on something that was already working, for me has been first trailers, then cinema mode, then issue with playlists, Etc.

@PenkethBoy

Well...  emby supports aroung 12 devices, and beta testers will miss a lot of things for the same reason, I'm a beta tester myself on a windows machine and my daily machine is a Synology nas, sometimes I won't find the bugs until it hits my synology nas, because is what I use daily and a lot and my users report to me.

Saying that more testing won't do any difference sounds sort of cocky, specially since we are talking about software.

The beta test community is not huge enough to compare to the total amount of users.

To make the long story short my suggestions is to make an extra stable release to iron out some bugs.

I can give you very specific details information, posts, links if really needed.

@Rosario Family

No one is attacking you, you feel that way because you made a post complaining but did not say the issue, and that when all started, but in reality you got a point. 

• slidvendetta likes this

#35 PenkethBoy OFFLINE  

PenkethBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3392 posts
  • LocationWarrington,UK

Posted 10 June 2019 - 05:47 PM

extra stable release is just a change of name - so how does that make things different?

#36 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5480 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 06:33 PM

We need better communication when it comes to releases to make users better understand their impact. We don't need to over complicate the system more. That would cause more of a drain on resources having to worry about that too. I think the dev/beta and store/stable method works better. There just needs to be more of a connection to users when releasing and announcing these changes. They need to be announced on the users Emby server in more than just notifications.

Then there wouldn't be this disconnect here where users feel out-of-touch when updates happen that they aren't in control or know what updating may impact. If this were in notifications, and also generated a popup changelog when having the server update. That popup lasts until the update is complete. The EmbyServerUpdater service that runs to update Emby could display this changelog popup so Emby server itself doesn't have as much need to. Then after the user updates the server can then pop that same changelog up. In the advanced section of the server is the setting to [x] disable update changelog popups .. 

That would solve the issue of users not knowing/understanding what is going on with their own server. You would be in control of how/when to update based on how you felt about that changelog popup. The Emby server update service if running on manual will not progress unless you click "Okay To Update" button right below the changelog on the popup. There is no way to dismiss the box other than "Cancel (Keep my present Emby version)". So users can go to update, then see the changelog. They think "ohh.. not doing that right now", cancel out. The updater simply loads back their old version. No update done. This should be able to happen in the updater.

Food for thought?

Edited by speechles, 10 June 2019 - 06:35 PM.

• Rosario Family likes this

#37 abescalamis OFFLINE  

abescalamis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 06:34 PM

extra stable release is just a change of name - so how does that make things different?

I love stability, and since I bought premiere cinema mode only has worked half the time, they fix it on one update, and then it brakes on another one, I have a few examples like that.

Remember that the extra release is just an idea/suggestion the real goal of the idea is a more polish update.

and since I answer all of your questions

What would suggest instead then?

So, do you think there is a way to improve the release of updates to iron out some bugs?

#38 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 138276 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 06:35 PM

I apologize for the issue with cinema mode. I've gone through it again thoroughly for the upcoming 4.2 release and you shouldn't have any issues with it. Thanks.

• slidvendetta likes this

#39 PenkethBoy OFFLINE  

PenkethBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3392 posts
  • LocationWarrington,UK

Posted 11 June 2019 - 03:14 AM

A more poilshed update is only going to come with structured/controlled testing - which the devs would have to communicate and provide documentation on what they chnaged

i.e. be specific on whats changed and what needs to be tested and how - at the moment all we have is a hit and miss approach as testers only try new things and report things that stop working/have issues.

This catches some of the bugs - but its common for a new beta to have new issues which have no related release notes - so appear unrelated/surprising

If you love stability then stay on stable and you will get less issues - but have to wait longer for fixes

• CBers and fraenhawk like this

#40 CBers OFFLINE  

CBers

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 15016 posts
  • LocationKent, England.

Posted 11 June 2019 - 03:43 AM

What would suggest instead then?

So, do you think there is a way to improve the release of updates to iron out some bugs?

Probably more beta testers that know how Emby works fully, plus a detailed list provided by @Luke and/or @ebr of things to test.

More often than not, the beta test cycle is used to fix issues in Stable, rather than the adding of new requested enhancements.

Too many people run beta Emby server, but don't provide any feedback.

It's been suggested several times before, that the beta testing should be a closed group, but it's never happened.

Bear in mind, that there are on 2 full-time devs working on Emby, plus a few others that assist in other areas, such as @speecles and @softworkz.

• Happy2Play and PenkethBoy like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users