Multi Channel Music

infomas

infomas

Does the Apple TV app support multi channel music? I've just installed it loaded some Apple Loseless files. When they hit my receiver, it sees them as stereo. It looks like Emby may be down mixing them, which is not at all what I was hoping for. I'm ready to dump Plex and my first requirement is multi channel music. Any help would be appreciated. 

infomas

I tried playing a couple of songs. They are all: ALAC .m4a, 6 channels, 44.1 sample rate, 16 bit sample size, 4233 bit rate. What else would help? 

infomas

I tried to upload the file but I get: "Error You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file. 

Senna

Okay, so, here is a link to a file.

Emby Apple TV beta app also doesn't play this file Multi Channel, but MrMC plays it Multi Channel.

@@ebr @@corey @@Luke

Is this a MPV format support issue for this ALAC file with following Media Info scanned by Emby:

Media Info
Audio

Title: Und ALAC 5.1 (Default)
Language: und
Codec: ALAC
Codec tag: alac
Layout: 5.1
Channels: 6 ch
Bitrate: 765 kbps
Sample rate: 44,100 Hz
Bit depth: 16 bit
Default: Yes
Container: m4a

infomas

I downloaded MrMC Lite and the only thing it could find was my Plex server. It played the songs in stereo. Maybe I'll just have to have a FLAC version of my collection to make this work. :-( That seems to work fine. 

Senna

I downloaded MrMC Lite and the only thing it could find was my Plex server. It played the songs in stereo.

For MrMC to play your ALAC files in Multi Channel, you will have to add a Music Media source to the share, where those files resides.

Maybe I'll just have to have a FLAC version of my collection to make this work. :-( That seems to work fine.

Lets wait and hear what the devs can do for ALAC multi channel support, in the Emby Apple TV app, but in the mean time you can convert to FLAC indeed.

infomas

Thanks for your help. It's so nice to actually have someone respond vs the silence that is the Plex forum. The only reason I even have ALAC files was because that was the only format that Plex supported on the ATV. Apparently they are supporting other formats now, but when testing a FLAC file I got the same results. Anyways, it will make my processes simpler if FLAC works. I'm running a batch convert now and will be able to test in a couple of hours. Again, thanks for your help. 

Senna

Your welcome :)

With FLAC multi channel, you should be good to go with the Emby Apple TV app.

Since you are new to Emby on the Apple TV, take notice of this post, to see what is Work in Progress with the Emby Apple TV app, if you encounter some issues with it.

Hi.  We are still using the Apple player for music because we didn't want to have to completely custom build an interface for that too.  So, our app supports whatever the Apple player does in regards to music right now.

infomas

I can live with that. :-) The ALAC files aren't really my master files, so converting to FLAC doesn't really mess me up at all. Thanks so much for getting back to me.