Gamebrowser Classic version 3.0.0.39

Redshirt

Redshirt

With this new version finally comes multi-disc support in Gamebrowser. I was able to utilize a feature that ebr added for movies. So give him a thumbs up on the forum. it requires MB-Classic version 3.0.165.0 or newer.

537d76332513b_multi_disc.jpg

537d7644c293b_multi_disc_folder.jpg

Also in this version the client will now report game playback to the server.

537d769651680_playback_reporting_games.j

• Like 1

purplesaurus

I'm not sure how the new steam in-home streaming works, but would it be possible to integrate that directly into gamebrowswer, maybe through a command line launch or something?

techywarrior

I'm not sure how the new steam in-home streaming works, but would it be possible to integrate that directly into gamebrowswer, maybe through a command line launch or something?

I tried to do the same thing yesterday and was unable to find a flag to launch a stream. Trying the old /runid=xxxx prompted the game install even if the only option is to stream.

I am hoping someone finds out how to launch directly to a stream but for now I changed the links for my games to launch Steam in big picture mode. Obviously the downside is I now need to navigate again to the game I want to play but since I only have a few games I would want to do this with it's not that big a deal.

Here is the link to launch Steam in big picture mode. Change the path to the steam exe if it's not in the same location as mine:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -start steam://open/bigpicture

techywarrior

I created some links for my PC games and I obviously did something wrong because I am getting "Item is an external disc. Please insert the proper disc" when I try and launch them.

The file in the game folder is just a shortcut to an exe.

What am I doing wrong? Or what do I need to change/fix?

Redshirt

Did you go through the gamebrowser-classic config and point each PC game to it's shortcut?

If he didn't the error message could be improved to point him in the right direction.

techywarrior

Did you go through the gamebrowser-classic config and point each PC game to it's shortcut?

lol, no. Honestly, I hadn't added a game to GB in probably 3-4 years and all I tried to do was change the shortcuts. But since they are new types that would definitely be a problem. I barely remember about the config now that so much is in MBC :)

If he didn't the error message could be improved to point him in the right direction.

I'd highly recommend the error be changed to something like "can't find game link/exe" or something like that.

Redshirt

I have an error in my playback controller that tells the user to go add a path in the configuration app. The problem is this external disc logic added to Server and MBC. MBC now throws an error before my playback controller is initiated which means my error is never shown.

mbc will have to be a little more game friendly then, or allow you to inject earlier. IsPlaceHolder is meant to denote that the media is not stored on the server and the client is solely responsible for determining how to play it and where to play it from. External blurays and dvd's are the most common example, and installed games on the client are another.

techywarrior

Someone go poke Ebr so MBC can get updated so that I don't ask another stupid question in 3-4 years :)

Redshirt

What theme are you testing with Techy. Looking at my GameItem you shouldn't be seeing the error at all. The play button should just be hidden. 

Redshirt

ok. I wonder if ST isn't honouring the BaseItem.IsPlayable flag then.

techywarrior

I posted in the Square thread and pointed him to this thread. I know ST is sort of away from MB now but he said he would still update the theme if it had bugs so he probably/may contact you if he needs details on the issue.

What theme are you testing with Techy. Looking at my GameItem you shouldn't be seeing the error at all. The play button should just be hidden. 

Correct - that is a trap-all error.  The play button should not be there if the item is not playable.  Chocolate should be doing this.

As for MBC handling it differently - I don't know that I agree.  Something is marked as an external disc - I'm going to tell them to insert the disc...  If you don't want that to happen - don't mark the item as an external disc.

Soultaker

Been out of the loop a while but what are other themes doing? Is only one theme working correctly with game browser ie Ebr's chocolate theme?

ST - I think the only thing you may need to look at is binding the play button visibility to Item.IsPlayable.

techywarrior

Correct - that is a trap-all error.  The play button should not be there if the item is not playable.  Chocolate should be doing this.

As for MBC handling it differently - I don't know that I agree.  Something is marked as an external disc - I'm going to tell them to insert the disc...  If you don't want that to happen - don't mark the item as an external disc.

At the time I didn't realize that Square shouldn't have been displaying the play button. I guess if the theme correctly removes the play button then that error message is fine.

If it's a single line if/then statement I'd recommend checking if the content is a game and displaying a different message to give some more detail. (especially if that's the catch-all message for playback)

Soultaker

@@ebr yea no worries it's a trivial fix for the final media view (just a binding as u mentioned) but what happens when you are one level up and someone presses the play button? Does that fail?

If it's a single line if/then statement I'd recommend checking if the content is a game and displaying a different message to give some more detail. (especially if that's the catch-all message for playback)

I don't want to put knowledge of how to handle a particular type that is added by a plug-in into the core.  What if the plug-in changes the way it works?

Right now, MBC itself doesn't know what a game is.  At some point, maybe we fold that knowledge into the core but, right now, it appears the real problem is that the server side is marking this game as an external disc item when it really isn't.  

@@ebr yea no worries it's a trivial fix for the final media view (just a binding as u mentioned) but what happens when you are one level up and someone presses the play button? Does that fail?

That's how the message he was getting would be produced and that's why the message is there.

But - it may be that we are talking about a couple different things here because "IsPlayable" and "IsPlaceholder" are not exactly the same thing...

Redshirt

Your right. PC games are flagged with IsPlaceHolder when they are resolved by the server plugin. Necessary as they are likely not installed on the server.

When the client is running, within my GameItem.FillCustomValues, I check to see if the game has been properly configured (ie: pointed to a shortcut or exe) and then set IsExternalDisc to false and IsPlayable to true.

As you said, I don't think any of that matters as long as a binding is made between is playable and the play button.

So really the issue is the IsPlaceholder thing.  Sounds like we need a different value for these types of things because, they aren't placeholders, they are "client-only" basically.

Slightly related - if you want to fold GB Classic into the core, I'm fine with that.  You can do it and submit a pull request.