Live TV Setup

ErikaJ
Go to solution Solved by ErikaJ,

ErikaJ

Good day...I am getting ready to setup IPTV on Emby and I have a few questons on this. First, is there an instruction set on how to set this up? I am familar with setting up an IPTV source as I use NPVR currently for that. However, I added the IPTV plugin and entered the URL from my provider in that plugin. Unfortunately, nothing happens exactly. I just get a blank screen. I do have Premiere if that makes any difference. sSo what do I need to do in order to get it working? Some help would be appreciated. Thanks and cheers!! 

Sammy

Set it up as an m3u tuner in the LiveTV section of the server. The epg will be the epg url from the provider.

Otherwise, use xTeVe to parse your playlist and create your custom epg.xml

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

ErikaJ

Good day Luke...Thanks for the response.Okay I will eliminate that plugin. However, my IPTV provider provides me with over 20K streams which is about 19,500 more than I wish to have. I believe I read somewhere that Emby has a ceiling of 500 or so. That being said, I am looking for a desktop app that would allow me to eliminate some of the non English speaking groups which would get me closer to my goal. I am looking into Xteve right now but I am stuck and there is no documentation to be had to follow. I was able to load the file and pull in those 20K steams but I am stuck on how to proceed from here. 

I know I can load them into NPVR and eliminate the unwanted groups but that is a multi step process which in my mind, it would be nice to just have them eliminated from the jump so that even when the provider has an update for a stream if it is not in one of my groups, it will not effect my setup. If you or anyone else have a suggestion on how to proceed, that would be appreciated. Cheers...

• Like 1

Sammy

Good day Luke...Thanks for the response.Okay I will eliminate that plugin. However, my IPTV provider provides me with over 20K streams which is about 19,500 more than I wish to have. I believe I read somewhere that Emby has a ceiling of 500 or so. That being said, I am looking for a desktop app that would allow me to eliminate some of the non English speaking groups which would get me closer to my goal. I am looking into Xteve right now but I am stuck and there is no documentation to be had to follow. I was able to load the file and pull in those 20K steams but I am stuck on how to proceed from here. 

I know I can load them into NPVR and eliminate the unwanted groups but that is a multi step process which in my mind, it would be nice to just have them eliminated from the jump so that even when the provider has an update for a stream if it is not in one of my groups, it will not effect my setup. If you or anyone else have a suggestion on how to proceed, that would be appreciated. Cheers...

xTeVe is too easy to use. Just start playing with it. the URL from you provider is the playlist to start. Then the xmltv URL from the provider is the epg.

Filter {US} to limit to US streams and then ! {two digit language code} to elliminate languages you don't want or {two digit language code} to have only that one language, ie {en} for English.

Go to Mapping and select / deselect your channels with a right click of the mouse. Here you can edit channel numbers and the url's for the channel logos too.

Take a look here too:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/64414-using-xteve-with-emby/?p=749968

Edited by Sammy
  • Like 1

ErikaJ

Thanks Sammy for the assist. I use SD for my EPG so I am also trying to find out if SD integrates with xTeve because I do not think Unity supplies which is why I am using SD in the first place. I have my live TV working in NPVR for the last 3 years with minimal expected issues for an IPTV service. But I would like to have most of my visual media under one roof which is where MB comes in. The error I keep getting sez XEPG requires an XLMTV file so I suppose xTeve does not support SD. No matter I will supply and XMTV file from SD manually just to see how all this works out. Will post my progress here looking for support. Thanks again and cheers...

Sammy

Thanks Sammy for the assist. I use SD for my EPG so I am also trying to find out if SD integrates with xTeve because I do not think Unity supplies which is why I am using SD in the first place. I have my live TV working in NPVR for the last 3 years with minimal expected issues for an IPTV service. But I would like to have most of my visual media under one roof which is where MB comes in. The error I keep getting sez XEPG requires an XLMTV file so I suppose xTeve does not support SD. No matter I will supply and XMTV file from SD manually just to see how all this works out. Will post my progress here looking for support. Thanks again and cheers...

You can create an xmltv from SchedulesDirect using epg123 and point xTeVe to it [but] you need to have your channel numbers match from your provider to the one pulled from SD.

ErikaJ

I believe in order to use EPG123 you have to have WMC installed.

edit: I used mc2xml to create the file.

Edited by snaitaz

ErikaJ

Good day...So here is where I am now after generating xml file using mc2xml. At the "mapping" stage I should be able to see my channels that I edited down to 995...but no joy. What am I missing? TIA cheers...

5cf80434985c5_xt1.png

5cf804511be6b_xt2.png

5cf804669f425_xt3.png

kanipek

I believe in order to use EPG123 you have to have WMC installed.

You do not need WMC to be installed to use epg123.

Very easy to use to generate an XMLTV file from Schedules Direct.

Optionally using EPG123 and a bit of work on your part you can create a custom lineup of only what you want to see, once it is done your good to go. How much work is based on the number of channels. 

ErikaJ

Thanks for the feedback Navy...I installed both the server and client for EPG123 and I received an error message stating it could not find that WMC was installed, then it cancelled out. I am on a W10 box so how did you get 123 to run. I have used it in the past but that was when Windows 8 was the latest. TIA

5cf80ca693238_wmcerror1.png

Edited by snaitaz

Sammy

Thanks for the feedback Navy...I installed both the server and client for EPG123 and I received an error message stating it could not find that WMC was installed, then it cancelled out. I am on a W10 box so how did you get 123 to run. I have used it in the past but that was when Windows 8 was the latest. TIA

5cf80ca693238_wmcerror1.png

You only need to run the server part per @@garyan2

https://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=99&t=12247&e=1&view=unread#unread

Edited by Sammy

kanipek

Yeah what @@Sammy said.

You don't need the client portion. I have not run the installer version I think ever so I haven't seen that error for the client. Download the ZIP version and copy the contents to a folder of your choice.

Sorry for the confusion.

ErikaJ

No worries, I got EPG123 setup and running so I am good with that portion, thanks. I guess I justo forgot  that I was only using the server part in the past and not the client portion. As for the channel renaming, I use a script that does all that automatically. It just takes some time to layout the numbering scheme from the IPTV provider so that I can match with the EPG. Like I stated before, I use NPVR for my live TV stuff and it has been running fine for some time now. I just wanted to look into this new (to me) proggy and see if there was any advantage in going with xTeve. Thanks again...cheers...

andytech1323

To integrate with our live tv feature you don't need the plugin. You can just add an m3u tuner source to live tv. You can learn how to do that here:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Live-TV

If you're just looking to add single random streams, then that's when the iptv plugin would be used.

hi im having big issues with live tv section in my emby media server ubuntu. it run like a charm for 5 min than freezes and than 20 min later it good it again back and forth. can u help thank u

hi im having big issues with live tv section in my emby media server ubuntu. it run like a charm for 5 min than freezes and than 20 min later it good it again back and forth. can u help thank u

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a problem. thanks !

ErikaJ

Good day...well I was originally going to post that my live TV attempt was taking a long time to populate but then I woke up to this this morning. I suppose that it is still taking a long time to populate because of the 20K streams my IPTV provider provides. This is the main reason I want to eliminate the various (85) non English speaking countries before I load the data into Emby. The URL provided from my IPTV provider is

http://unityx.ddns.net:83/get.php?username=XXXXX&password=XXXXX&type=m3u_plus&output=ts. This is the same one I put into NPVR and it loads everything quite nicely. Unfortunately, I still have to eliminate the non English speaking media once there. So I was thinking that if I was able to eliminate the unwanted media from the beginning, it would load faster into Emby. As seen in the previous posts, I was able to filter down to 995 streams in xTeve yet I am not able to channel map nor create the needed files for Emby. 

Just using the native Emby m3u tuner source with my URL gives me the following after waiting for over 10 hours to semi-populate. This I believe is a result of too many streams. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Cheers..

5cf9067c36029_tv1.png

embyserver.txt

embyserver-63695376000.txt

kanipek

Good day...well I was originally going to post that my live TV attempt was taking a long time to populate but then I woke up to this this morning. I suppose that it is still taking a long time to populate because of the 20K streams my IPTV provider provides. This is the main reason I want to eliminate the various (85) non English speaking countries before I load the data into Emby. The URL provided from my IPTV provider is

http://unityx.ddns.net:83/get.php?username=XXXXX&password=XXXXX&type=m3u_plus&output=ts. This is the same one I put into NPVR and it loads everything quite nicely. Unfortunately, I still have to eliminate the non English speaking media once there. So I was thinking that if I was able to eliminate the unwanted media from the beginning, it would load faster into Emby. As seen in the previous posts, I was able to filter down to 995 streams in xTeve yet I am not able to channel map nor create the needed files for Emby. 

Just using the native Emby m3u tuner source with my URL gives me the following after waiting for over 10 hours to semi-populate. This I believe is a result of too many streams. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Cheers..

5cf9067c36029_tv1.png

If you put the M3U URL into a browser it should download the M3U. Which you can then edit (watching the formatting carefully) in something like Notepad++. 

If your provider is like all that I have seen you will be able to identify the streams you want removed.

Some providers also allow you to download certain parts of their available channels by selecting them prior to downloading, which would accomplish most of what you are wanting to do and you can finish up the job yourself using an editor.

There are also online resources that will help with editing out the channels you don't want. Some are free, some a small cost.

But your idea of doing this prior to adding the M3U to Emby is the way to go IMO.

FYI - It may be that everything is in Emby - channels(M3U) and guide data and that you need to map your channels in order to see the guide data. You can find this by using the 3 dot menu for the guide data provider under LiveTV.

ErikaJ

Thanks Navy for the response. Use I used Notepad++ to edit the file a while back that was going to NPVR. I also used mc2Xml to get my EPG data from SD and then scripted in the correct channels based on the tvg-id from the provider. This was all automatic (although human intervention was needed to execute the script). EPG123 was used at first but then I still had to rename the channels in order to match correctly for the EPG. As stated before, NPVR has been working flawlessly for many years for me but I just wanted to try out this xTeve for mapping and editing channels.

This morning I was able to get the provider to get my channel streams from 26K down to 1850 so I am going to try and load that smaller footprint into xTeve and see if I can manage the data now that it is smaller. Cheers

ErikaJ

If you put the M3U URL into a browser it should download the M3U. Which you can then edit (watching the formatting carefully) in something like Notepad++. 

If your provider is like all that I have seen you will be able to identify the streams you want removed.

Some providers also allow you to download certain parts of their available channels by selecting them prior to downloading, which would accomplish most of what you are wanting to do and you can finish up the job yourself using an editor.

There are also online resources that will help with editing out the channels you don't want. Some are free, some a small cost.

But your idea of doing this prior to adding the M3U to Emby is the way to go IMO.

FYI - It may be that everything is in Emby - channels(M3U) and guide data and that you need to map your channels in order to see the guide data. You can find this by using the 3 dot menu for the guide data provider under LiveTV.

I never even knew that that option to map the channels was there in Emby!!! Thanks!!!. Obviously I am trying to tackle this mapping issue from both native Emby (without xTeve) and also by using xTeve. But if the native Emby works without xTeve that is the way I will go. Thanks again.

kanipek

I never even knew that that option to map the channels was there in Emby!!! Thanks!!!. Obviously I am trying to tackle this mapping issue from both native Emby (without xTeve) and also by using xTeve. But if the native Emby works without xTeve that is the way I will go. Thanks again.

Yeah mapping channels for me has ALWAYS been an issue for as my CATV company does there own thing with regards to naming of channels, so automatic mapping was nonexistent for me.

The method I developed works for me. Like I said it is a bit of work to set up. But after that point it is automatic with scripting and it just works, save the occasional channel change, addition or deletion. I found xTeve not the easiest thing to work with and at the time it didn't support the HDHR Prime - that may have changed I don't know. 

If this is all setup and working in NextPVR I think there is a method to export that to something usable by Emby....@@cayars might be able to help out with that.

What ever method works best for you - do that..... If you want info about mine PM me and I will be happy to let you have all that I know.

• Like 1

ErikaJ

Thanks Navy. Yes, I was thinking of exporting from NPVR as I can map in NPVR and I can also edit every detail to my liking which means I can eliminate extrenous media and cut that stream number down to whaever I like. For now thought since you gave me an awesome tip I am going to work with that and see if it works like I want. Problem now is that apparently Emby does not recognize my 4 tuner Hauppauge. I already opened a topic for this so I will wait on a reply. Thanks again...cheers

• Like 1

Sammy

Can't one just use Emby's NextPVR Plugin in this case?