Live TV Setup

ErikaJ
Go to solution Solved by ErikaJ,

kanipek

Can't one just use Emby's NextPVR Plugin in this case?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

You are correct, I think @ is interested in the "native" features to see how they compare to other software.

ErikaJ

Correct on both counts but I would rather eliminate NPVR entirely if possible. I don't need the plugin as I use the native NPVR. My current set up is NPVR for visual media (live tv and movies), Media Monkey for my music collection and Emby for personal movie collection. The live Tv and movies was originally handled by Kodi but other opportunities manifested during that time and now I am here. What I would like is for Emby to handle all my visual media then I have only 2 proggy's to deal with. looks like Emby may just fulfill that expectation if I can get it to see my Hauppauge. Cheers...

• Like 3

Sammy

If you're having issues with the Hauppauge! tag @@Luke and post a sever log.

ErikaJ

Thanks Sammy for the suggestion as I have already done that. Luke responded in quick fashion as he always does which is a MAJOR reason why I am here on this forum and using this tool. Luke said he thinks it may be an APK issue with it not recognizing my 4 tuner Haup. I purchased it 2 years ago but apparently the hardware is from 2010???  according to Luke after sending the logs. Go figure. I haven't got back to the forum until now so I will check into that topic and see where we are at. I suggested maybe I could just purchase another tuner but we'll see. Again many thanks for the suggestion. Cheers... 

Sammy

eBay that tunner and get an HDHomeRun Connect quatro refurb from SiliconDust for $100.

• Like 1

arrbee99

Correct on both counts but I would rather eliminate NPVR entirely if possible. I don't need the plugin as I use the native NPVR. My current set up is NPVR for visual media (live tv and movies), Media Monkey for my music collection and Emby for personal movie collection. The live Tv and movies was originally handled by Kodi but other opportunities manifested during that time and now I am here. What I would like is for Emby to handle all my visual media then I have only 2 proggy's to deal with. looks like Emby may just fulfill that expectation if I can get it to see my Hauppauge. Cheers...

Just wondering what you mean by 'don't need the plugin' ? 

Personally I'd just use NPVR and the plugin which 'should' work for having both your Hauppauge tuner and m3u stuff in Emby. I say 'should' cause I never got m3u channels to work in Emby, they always stop after a minute or so, but you might have better luck with your different source. I'd also try it out like that and wait till Emby revamps its channel management thing. 

But I appreciate you trying the 'all in one' approach so its just a thought.

ErikaJ

Success!! Short version is that I was able to completely edit my m3u file. Adding, changing and deleting groups, complete channel management plus changing and sorting the channel order. I attempted using xTeve with no luck as the proggy would not display my lineup so that I could manage it. It could have been operator error or just me not understanding what to expect from the xTeve. In any event I had already spent too much time on xTeve. So I decided to go another route and come back to xTeve at another time.

I found a few programs that ended up working as I would expect a channel/group manager should. The first program is called IPTV Editor (duh) by Tantrum. This proggy allowed me to bring in the m3u either as a local file or via URL which was a plus. It allowed me to add an EPG channel number for the stream plus additional edits were possible. Finally, I could either save the edited m3u or export as an IPTV list.

The next 2 programs are the same except one is in Italian and the other is an English version. I went with the Italian version because it was faster (ha). The interface was very easy to work with in all 3 of these programs. These 2 programs are by ERDesigns and it gives you greater control over your m3u file. Again, as with the previous program you can bring in your m3u locally or via URL. This program had one additional opportunity which was it allowed you to bring in your XML file and channel map. Suffice it to say that the programs from ERDesigns had much greater control over the files which was a pleasant experience.

The end result is shown below. The EPG is setup as I wanted it to be. I will be editing in different channel icons as the icons that come from SD are sometimes masked by either the black or blue themes from Emby.  Plus, the icons are not uniform which is to say the are not all the same size and shape. I have over 7000 channel icons I developed over the years using PS which I will be using instead.

All in all, this was a good project which I will continue to work on. I just want to say thanks to the mods and the various people on this forum who gave me a tremendous amount of information from which to work with. I will be purchasing a newer model Hauppauge so that it works better with Emby as well.

Cheers…

5cfcaeaea9ade_epg1.png

5cfcaec45868b_epg2.png

ErikaJ

Good day...Is there a way to "disconnect" the selection you make for a particular channel in the m3u tuner setup?  In other words, when selecting and linking a channel from a data provider to the specific channel, is there a way to disconnect it in the even it was the wrong choice? I do know that I could make another selection and that would overwrite my previous selection. However, what if I just want to deselect it for any reason? If there isn't a way, this could be a good enhancement for a future ipgrade. Thanks I advance...cheers...

If you're referring to the mapping tool, no, you just have to pick another one. it is something we need to improve. thanks.

samuelqwe

If you're referring to the mapping tool, no, you just have to pick another one. it is something we need to improve. thanks.

I think something like a remove button next to the pencil icon would work well enough and doesn’t seem too hard to add. It’s super annoying to not be able to unmap the wrong guide from a channel, especially when it was done automatically.

ErikaJ

I agree something needs to be done towards that effort. Case in point...I now have a single stream that is showing the correct content but because I originally mapped the incorrect channel that information is also showing on the screen. To be specific, I have a channel 9 from NC that is showing the correct visual content and indicates it as channel 9 correctly. At the same time and on the screen, it also indicates channel 5 from NY! Very interesting to say the least.  Thanks for the response and cheers!

Sammy

Couple of notes about re-assigning Channel Numbers with xTeVe..

First off, you'll need to move your channels to a vacant area in the guide; if your guide goes to 2000 then start moving your channels into the 3000's, 4000's etc, organizing your channels by Group, ie: Sports, News, Movies, etc. Then decide where you want them to be ultimately, preferably matching a local Cable Providers lineup so you can then easily use Zap2it or SchedulesDirect with epg123 to grab a good xmltv. The reason for this is that you cannot move a channel to say 1202 if another channel already occupies that space. This is a two step process..

Afterwards you may find that your logos are not matched up. You can fix this in Emby by editing the image for the channels. In a browser to to LiveTV, Channels then find the channel that has the wrong logo. Click the three dots then edit image. Replace the image with the correct logo for the channel.

post-110-0-87612900-1560307441_thumb.jpg

post-110-0-74521900-1560307457_thumb.jpg

post-110-0-61322800-1560307470_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sammy

ErikaJ

Thanks Sammy but I create my own logos using PS. I have well over 25K logos in various shapes/sizes that I used in NPVR which should also serve well in Emby. I never got xTeve to work for me which is why I opted to use another proggy to accomplish the same thing and have a much greater control over the EPG. I wish I could have figured out xTeve. Cheers!!

ErikaJ

Good Day..Is there a way to stop the auto mapping in Emby? This has recently created a major issue for me as Emby was incorrectly mapping my channels. I couldn't find a way to unmap the channel as previously stated above so I ended up deleting the library.db and restarting Emby. This did unmap that channel however, there was another mapping that took place automatically and now I have the same situation. Cheers...

Good Day..Is there a way to stop the auto mapping in Emby? This has recently created a major issue for me as Emby was incorrectly mapping my channels. I couldn't find a way to unmap the channel as previously stated above so I ended up deleting the library.db and restarting Emby. This did unmap that channel however, there was another mapping that took place automatically and now I have the same situation. Cheers...

Currently no, you would just have to manually override.

ErikaJ

Good day Luke...Thaks for the reply. Yes, I understand what you are saying. However, even when I "override" the original mapping by selecting another channel to map, the original mapping stays intact. Please see previous comment regarding having the correct visual media displayed and playing but at the same time the incorrect channel is still visible from the previous mapping. It is like the original mapping cannot be overridden and is locked into the channel. The only way to fix this was to delete the library.db and restart Emby. This did fix the original issue but since Emby auto maps itself based on some algorithm, it has again incorrectly mapped itself thereby creating this issue, I believe if Emby could refrain from automapping itself this would clear up some of this issue. Cheers...

ErikaJ

Good day...After many failed attempts to get xTeve to work for me, I finally dumped it in favor of the tools I already have and use. I was able to overcome the auto mapping from Emby by deselecting the enable for all tuners option. The imported files then did not auto map which is a plus for me. Suggestion from Luke on how to set the channel logos was a major advancement for my project. Now I just want to right justify the channel numbers. WIP and thanks again. Cheers...

5d06947120149_menu.png

ErikaJ

Good day...Here is an update to where I am now after going through some setbacks and progress. I am still working on how to justify the channel numbers (right, center, left) but have not figured it out yet. I know I could use 001,002,010 and so on which would accomplish what I want. Which is a uniformed visual effect of the channels but at this point it is a side project for now. I did purchase and install an HDHR Quatro which is working very well with both NPVR and Emby. I did have some issues with SD channel mappings dissappearing from Emby as I was working with it processing my channels. By this I mean that when I went to execute a channel map and called up that option, all I got was a blue screen with no channels to map.

At first I had to delete the .db file and restart MB in order to get back that option but when they disappeared again, frustration led me (and a suggestion from Luke) to just use the native MB data provider. So far so good after a week. Thanks to all...cheers..

Yea the data is coming from the same place as Schedules Direct so if you are in a country that we are providing it for then there is no reason to use SD anymore.

• Like 1

ErikaJ

Good day..Today a milestone was reached. Although the green screen came back when installing latest Beta, it was managed by ticking off the acceleration. Although that is not a real fix because then the CPU has to do all the work, it is okay for now until MB makes some fixes in that area. However, the milestone is that connection from WAN was successful and I was able to access MB from an offsite location and it is playing the media fine.

Small issue is the resolution I was receiving when I connected using a laptop. I think that may have to do with the GPU but more testing should flesh that out. For right now I am satisfied for the time being. Thanks to all who contributed. Cheers mates...