Make sure content served locally

sundevil67

sundevil67

I have my media server (Mac mini) connected to an Amazon Fire TV. When I launch the Emby App on the TV (as well as attempt to access my library from WIFI-connected devices), I'm accessing the content over the Internet instead of serving it up from the computer sitting 6 inches away. The 'localhost' URL works great when I use a browser on a device connected to the LAN via ethernet. The same router making those connections is creating the WIFI network.

While I can access the library using the IP address, 'localhost' only works with an ethernet connection - not WIFI. How can I force the Emby app on my Amazon TV to access the content locally?

Thanks.

When I launch the Emby App on the TV (as well as attempt to access my library from WIFI-connected devices), I'm accessing the content over the Internet instead of serving it up from the computer sitting 6 inches away. 

Hi there, why do you feel this way? How did you determine this?

Hi.  "localhost" is a network shortcut for "this machine".  It won't work on any machine other than the one the server is actually on.

I think the answer to Luke's question is key because it is likely that the access is happening locally but you just didn't realize it.

Thanks.

sundevil67

I got that impression when I began experiencing bandwidth issues & buffering.. the kind that I never see when I'm running it on the actual computer hosting the media files.

I am getting very frustrated with this app though now because of the login difficulties...constantly being asked to enter my username/password/PIN & sometimes I can't even login. It's almost unusable at this point. I really hope there's an update soon that fixes this or if any of you have experienced this and have a workaround..I found one other thread on this and his solution didn't pan out for me somehow. I'll try it again just to be sure...

Have you configured your login settings in the app to remember your password?

I got that impression when I began experiencing bandwidth issues & buffering.. the kind that I never see when I'm running it on the actual computer hosting the media files.

I am getting very frustrated with this app though now because of the login difficulties...constantly being asked to enter my username/password/PIN & sometimes I can't even login. It's almost unusable at this point. I really hope there's an update soon that fixes this or if any of you have experienced this and have a workaround..I found one other thread on this and his solution didn't pan out for me somehow. I'll try it again just to be sure...

This all sounds like  a spotty network connection.  Be sure you have a good wifi signal where the device is.

Have you configured your login settings in the app to remember your password?

That's the default but his description sounds like it cannot find the server some of the time.

sundevil67

I cleaned off some space on the TV HD (it was almost maxxed out) & reinstalled the application & all seems to be well now...fingers crossed it'll stay that way! Thanks!