8 replies to this topic

#1 sundevil67 OFFLINE  

sundevil67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Local time: 09:39 PM

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:02 PM

I have my media server (Mac mini) connected to an Amazon Fire TV. When I launch the Emby App on the TV (as well as attempt to access my library from WIFI-connected devices), I'm accessing the content over the Internet instead of serving it up from the computer sitting 6 inches away. The 'localhost' URL works great when I use a browser on a device connected to the LAN via ethernet. The same router making those connections is creating the WIFI network.

While I can access the library using the IP address, 'localhost' only works with an ethernet connection - not WIFI. How can I force the Emby app on my Amazon TV to access the content locally?

Thanks.

#2 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 142604 posts
  • Local time: 11:39 PM

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:17 PM

When I launch the Emby App on the TV (as well as attempt to access my library from WIFI-connected devices), I'm accessing the content over the Internet instead of serving it up from the computer sitting 6 inches away. 

Hi there, why do you feel this way? How did you determine this?

#3 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 48159 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:22 PM

Hi.  "localhost" is a network shortcut for "this machine".  It won't work on any machine other than the one the server is actually on.

I think the answer to Luke's question is key because it is likely that the access is happening locally but you just didn't realize it.

Thanks.

#4 sundevil67 OFFLINE  

sundevil67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 01:46 AM

I got that impression when I began experiencing bandwidth issues & buffering.. the kind that I never see when I'm running it on the actual computer hosting the media files.

I am getting very frustrated with this app though now because of the login difficulties...constantly being asked to enter my username/password/PIN & sometimes I can't even login. It's almost unusable at this point. I really hope there's an update soon that fixes this or if any of you have experienced this and have a workaround..I found one other thread on this and his solution didn't pan out for me somehow. I'll try it again just to be sure...

#5 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 142604 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 02:05 AM

Have you configured your login settings in the app to remember your password?

#6 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 48159 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 09:02 AM

I got that impression when I began experiencing bandwidth issues & buffering.. the kind that I never see when I'm running it on the actual computer hosting the media files.

I am getting very frustrated with this app though now because of the login difficulties...constantly being asked to enter my username/password/PIN & sometimes I can't even login. It's almost unusable at this point. I really hope there's an update soon that fixes this or if any of you have experienced this and have a workaround..I found one other thread on this and his solution didn't pan out for me somehow. I'll try it again just to be sure...

This all sounds like  a spotty network connection.  Be sure you have a good wifi signal where the device is.

#7 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 48159 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 09:03 AM

Have you configured your login settings in the app to remember your password?

That's the default but his description sounds like it cannot find the server some of the time.

#8 sundevil67 OFFLINE  

sundevil67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 02:11 PM

I cleaned off some space on the TV HD (it was almost maxxed out) & reinstalled the application & all seems to be well now...fingers crossed it'll stay that way! Thanks!

#9 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 142604 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 02:12 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: amazon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users